EDC light

EDC light

This is a discussion on EDC light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much though I have come to realize the importance and usefulness of an EDC light. My current EDC load includes a G22 IWB, OC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: EDC light

EDC light

After much though I have come to realize the importance and usefulness of an EDC light. My current EDC load includes a G22 IWB, OC spray, one of many EDC blades, Leatherman multi tool, and a spare mag for EDU pistol. When clothing/ situation dictates I drop the leatherman and trade the G22 for a P3at in the pocket and still carry a spare mag. My Question is should I go with a small pocket clip light like the streamlight stylus or should I go slightly bigger and carry it on the belt next to my leatherman. I do not have a large budget for lights so I would like to have just one EDC light and I want something that I will actually carry. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I have that little Streamlight and it's a nice little flashlight, one of my other favorites is a Maglite X50 and then the very bright Nebo Redline that I keep in my vehicle.

I just recently acquired a Fenix LD10 R5. My robust physique from years of eating stuff that tastes good prevents me from clipping this to my belt. I just simply clip it to a belt loop on my left front, it rides nicely and I hardly know it's there.

Single AA battery, 100 lumens, strobe, low, medium, high modes, SOS signal mode, pocket clip, LED, can stand on tailcap, tailcap mounted switch, waterproof, 4 inches long, 3/4 inch diameter, fits in my hand nicely. I paid $50.00 for it and I'm quite happy with it. Plenty bright for when you just gotta see or make someone temporarily not see. The low modes are perfect for reading something or just seeing in a badly lit area. I would have loved toget a Streamlight or Surefire but I just couldn't afford it. In Streamlights defense they do offer a single AA light that is pretty comparable but only specified 50 lumens.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    My EDC light has been a Surefire E2e for many years. It rode in a pocket until I broke the clip off. Now it rides in a small pouch on my belt. I have it with me 100% of the time. It rides with me at work on the duty belt and off work just behind my spare mag.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I use a Klarus XT-10. It is a great light, 470 lumens, 3 power levels, and a variable strobe with a designated strobe button. It has a strike bezel so if you have to use it as a strike weapon you can. It is really durable too, I dropped mine off my 2nd floor balcony and it didn't even scuff the body of the light. I spent 70 bucks on it and I don't regret it at all! It comes with a carry pouch too! The pouch has 2 loops on it, law enforcement in mind it will fit a duty belt, and a regular belt as well. I bang into stuff all day at work with it on my duty belt and it has never stopped working.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

RKM
    Have a Streamlight Stylus Pro for work (it takes abuse...) and a Streamlight LED Polytac any other time, not at work.

I like Streamlights. A good blend of quality and price. Not $200 like a Surefire

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    My EDC light has been a Surefire E2e for many years. It rode in a pocket until I broke the clip off. Now it rides in a small pouch on my belt. I have it with me 100% of the time. It rides with me at work on the duty belt and off work just behind my spare mag.
    Call Surefire during their regular business hours. 5 minutes with one of their C/S staff will have a new clip on the way to you, for free - for as many times as they should break.

I've actually found that I like the full-length clips a bit better, in terms of both in-pocket security as well as overall durability, than the shorter ones that come standard on the Executive series. If you ask them, they'll send you the long one, too.

One of the benefits of having paid the premium for a Surefire is that you'll have their lifetime warranty service to back you. Use it. It's why you bought the light, right?

Thanks for all your help guys. Now lets see if I have been good enough for santa to bring me one for Christmas.

I have a 4sevens Quark 123-2 tactical light that I am very happy with. It's small, tough and reliable. It has several different modes, different brightness settings or patterns. You can pre-program two settings, one with the head tight and another with the head loose. I like it much better than my Surefire.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Energizer 1watt led, one aa battery pocket clip rubber o rings and works great. All for 15 bucks.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

^ That pretty much says it all.

Today, there's tons of options available to the end-user.

A budget (in actual dollars - for example, a "small budget" to a flashlight collector may be $150) laid-out up-front helps with the decision-making process, and so will a thought-out set of features requirements (i.e. are you a tradesman by profession, and require an EDC that's not-too-bright [risk bleaching-out colors or having too much glare for close-in use]; or would you instead prefer one that's more "defensive" oriented and comes on at full power, but can then be dialed-back, instead?). Also, you need to be more certain about what kind of a package it comes in: its physical size as well as battery use...asking us whether you should have a larger light or a smaller one again brings the possible permutation up, and will not help in your shopping process, jdivence. Shop to your needs.

The market is no longer what it was even 5 years ago. Bright LED flashlights in small packages, using common AA or 2xAA - or even rechargeable - batteries can be had for tens, instead of hundreds, of dollars. Without the consideration for true waterproofing or recoil-survival on big-bore firearms, a handheld is something that really can be easily had, even for just $15 or $20, particularly if you shop smart, and shop the light and its features to your specific wants and needs.

A couple of years ago, my good buddy came into work all giddy, and showed me the $20 Browning-branded flashlight he'd picked up at the local sporting-goods store. He looked at me and said "so, what can your $150 light do, that mine can't?" I shrugged, and said, well, basically, nothing.
    jdivence likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ That pretty much says it all.

Today, there's tons of options available to the end-user.

A budget (in actual dollars - for example, a "small budget" to a flashlight collector may be $150) laid-out up-front helps with the decision-making process, and so will a thought-out set of features requirements (i.e. are you a tradesman by profession, and require an EDC that's not-too-bright [risk bleaching-out colors or having too much glare for close-in use]; or would you instead prefer one that's more "defensive" oriented and comes on at full power, but can then be dialed-back, instead?). Also, you need to be more certain about what kind of a package it comes in: its physical size as well as battery use...asking us whether you should have a larger light or a smaller one again brings the possible permutation up, and will not help in your shopping process, jdivence. Shop to your needs.

The market is no longer what it was even 5 years ago. Bright LED flashlights in small packages, using common AA or 2xAA - or even rechargeable - batteries can be had for tens, instead of hundreds, of dollars. Without the consideration for true waterproofing or recoil-survival on big-bore firearms, a handheld is something that really can be easily had, even for just $15 or $20, particularly if you shop smart, and shop the light and its features to your specific wants and needs.

A couple of years ago, my good buddy came into work all giddy, and showed me the $20 Browning-branded flashlight he'd picked up at the local sporting-goods store. He looked at me and said "so, what can your $150 light do, that mine can't?" I shrugged, and said, well, basically, nothing.
    Bingo, I like my cheap light doesn't mean its what you need. Shop around, surefire phenix inova pelican, all good lights but maybe the garrity is perfect for you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Thanks TSiXRX. You brought up a lot of points that I had not yet considered. And you are right in the number of options out there. In my short time of searching I have found thousands of options in every size shape and strength. I guess what I need is a small package with a bright output. something that I could use to clear a dark room today and to illuminate a flat tire on the side of a dark road tomorrow or what ever else comes up. I carry enough lethal and non lethal that a strike bezel is not needed. The important points I would say would be size/ weight and battery life. Also I would want a standard size bat ie AA or AAA vs rechargeable for those time away from home. I also would want aluminum body over plastic for strength while staying light weight.
    Good to know I can get those feature in a $20 light vs a $150 light.

^ That works to narrow things down a lot! Great job!

Look at the Streamlight offerings - their ProTac series offer great value and features, and often are on-sale at various online or even brick-and-mortar police/fire-supply shops. The 2AA is great if you need to have an AA setup and don't mind the length. The 2L will fit better if length is a concern, and will also be a more reliable long-term storage/un-used light due to the CR123 primary cell use (but this is countered by both the cost of these batteries as well as their availability in other areas of the world: again, choose what fits your needs best/better). As with Surefire, their warranty is a no-brainer/no-hassle...but they do command a slight premium over comparable foreign-made products because of this factor alone.

If initial pricing is an issue, the offerings from 4Sevens and Fenix offer tremendous bargains, and are also of "proven" durability/reliability - and performance - with many flashlight enthusiasts. Let battery selection as well as features-for-pricing serve as your guide with these two makes, and you really can't go wrong.

If you need to pick up something "right away," a trip to your favorite local sporting goods store - Dicks or Gander Mountain, since you're a fellow Ohioan; or even big-box store like Costco - will let you get hands-on with many of the "off-brand" items, which really can be just as good (and since you're not going to mount them to a firearm, you don't have to worry about durability as much). I don't know if you're in NE-Ohio or not, but if you are, Atwell's Police and Fire Supply in Painesville has a good selection of Streamlight lights, and they have a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Similarly, BrightGuy.com is also in our local area - but I honestly don't know if they have a physical storefront.

Sponsor
    I would suggest getting a larger light. I use a Fenix PD-30 and have never wished for a smaller light. If it were any narrower or shorter I wouldn't be able to hold on to it as firmly for extended use. I've had friends that also enjoy the PD-20, (similar in size to the single battery quarks) However I like the extra length, battery life, and power of the PD-30.

Whatever you buy, just buy quality. My edc flashlight is probably used more than anything else I carry except my phone. Once you get used to carrying one you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

-Clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links