Cheap and Effective Pocket Flashlight

This is a discussion on Cheap and Effective Pocket Flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up these ( LED Tactical Style Flashlights 2-Pack-HD11OTB88 at The Home Depot ) two great flashlights at Home Depot for $10 because I ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RugerMike
  • 1 Post By Eaglebeak
  • 1 Post By tokerblue

Thread: Cheap and Effective Pocket Flashlight

I picked up these (LED Tactical Style Flashlights 2-Pack-HD11OTB88 at The Home Depot) two great flashlights at Home Depot for $10 because I was shooting a low light IDPA match and needed a small flashlight to carry. I was really impressed with the output. At 100 lumens I think they are super bright compared to the maglight I carry in my trunk. I was never one to have an "EDC" flashlight until I got one of these. I could not really see spending $50-100 on a flashlight that takes fancy and expensive batteries. These run off of AAA batteries and I got 4 for less than $20. I just thought I would pass this deal on to the rest of the DC community.

Merry Christmas!
    CountryGal likes this.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Small LED handlights can go for really big bucks, but there is a point where finding a middle-ground in price can make a major difference. They probably still have them, but Home Depot also sells a "Coast" model 7438 that goes for about $50 and a slightly smaller/less intense "Tactical" model that uses the same single LED chip - and they are both awesome in the light they put out.

Much hype is given to the higher "lumen" number which does indicate relative brightness, but it doesn't necessarily indicate the effectiveness or quality of the generated light beam itself. There's a lot of LED flashlights that use a cluster of individual LEDs where the "lumen" rating is increased by simply adding more LEDs to the array (which increases current drain from the batteries with each additional LED); but if you want a truly intense light with a beam that's almost unbelievable for the size of the little flashlight, look for a light that uses only a single, flat, square, LED "chip" that's usually just a little over 1/8" square.

The Coast "tactical" light at Home Depot has a fixed, tight beam that will light up stuff at a distance you won't believe. The slightly higher-priced $50 model has a focusing head that can be turned for a tight, long distance beam or expanded into a wide-angle area "floodlight" that's equally as fantastic in lighting up the whole area in front of you. The "Coast" models (with the single-chip) come with batteries installed and a "try me" lever on the package; but the light is packaged so you can't directly look at the end of the flashlight and get only a reflection off a satin-silver piece of paper angled in front of it - which also blinds you with the brightness.

Don't know about the smaller "tactical" model, but the larger model I bought six months ago uses three AAA penlight batteries that fit into a little removeable cartridge assembly. With the white-light brightness and 1/4 mile beam this thing emits, it's even more amazing about battery life - which is projected at an unbelievable 120 hours for the three little penlight batteries. After using the hell out of it, I ended up going back and buying two more of them so I can keep a couple spread around the house and one in the truck - OK, so maybe I'm a sucker, but I've not found anything close to these things for anywhere near the price.

Big thing to look for regardless of brand is that single, flat, square-shaped little LED chip - and not a major array of clustered round LEDs. The chip is awesome!!
    TN_Mike likes this.

Do you turn them on/off by twisting or is their a button on the end of it? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    I picked up these (LED Tactical Style Flashlights 2-Pack-HD11OTB88 at The Home Depot) two great flashlights at Home Depot for $10 because I was shooting a low light IDPA match and needed a small flashlight to carry. I was really impressed with the output. At 100 lumens I think they are super bright compared to the maglight I carry in my trunk. I was never one to have an "EDC" flashlight until I got one of these. I could not really see spending $50-100 on a flashlight that takes fancy and expensive batteries. These run off of AAA batteries and I got 4 for less than $20. I just thought I would pass this deal on to the rest of the DC community.

Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Much hype is given to the higher "lumen" number which does indicate relative brightness, but it doesn't necessarily indicate the effectiveness or quality of the generated light beam itself. There's a lot of LED flashlights that use a cluster of individual LEDs where the "lumen" rating is increased by simply adding more LEDs to the array (which increases current drain from the batteries with each additional LED); but if you want a truly intense light with a beam that's almost unbelievable for the size of the little flashlight, look for a light that uses only a single, flat, square, LED "chip" that's usually just a little over 1/8" square.
    - The other problem is that a lot of cheap lights simply base it on the emitter, not necessarily OTF.
    Eaglebeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    There's a lot of LED flashlights that use a cluster of individual LEDs where the "lumen" rating is increased by simply adding more LEDs to the array (which increases current drain from the batteries with each additional LED); but if you want a truly intense light with a beam that's almost unbelievable for the size of the little flashlight, look for a light that uses only a single, flat, square, LED "chip" that's usually just a little over 1/8" square.

The Coast "tactical" light at Home Depot has a fixed, tight beam that will light up stuff at a distance you won't believe. The slightly higher-priced $50 model has a focusing head that can be turned for a tight, long distance beam or expanded into a wide-angle area "floodlight" that's equally as fantastic in lighting up the whole area in front of you. The "Coast" models (with the single-chip) come with batteries installed and a "try me" lever on the package; but the light is packaged so you can't directly look at the end of the flashlight and get only a reflection off a satin-silver piece of paper angled in front of it - which also blinds you with the brightness.

Big thing to look for regardless of brand is that single, flat, square-shaped little LED chip - and not a major array of clustered round LEDs. The chip is awesome!!
    That is exactly what these cheap little $5 ones have. I am not sure how it works, but it is super bright and very focused. Way better than the "9 array" LEDs I was using before.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
    Do you turn them on/off by twisting or is their a button on the end of it? Just curious...
    There is a recessed button at the bottom.

Thanks for the info. i will look for these lights. I'm what my wife calls a "flashlight Ho". If she ever loses me in a store (that isn't a gun store) she knows she only has to ask an employee where the flashlights are to find me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like RugerMike got a really good deal on a smaller "Coast" light HD has on sale - might check into a few of the smaller ones myself

Any light with that single little square LED chip looks like an arc-welder with even a single AAA battery - and it gets even brighter with more batteries - they're awesome.
    Last edited by Eaglebeak; December 9th, 2011 at 12:25 AM.

Administrator
    I just bought one of these for my nephew for a stocking stuffer. The Nebo Quatro.
    I think it was $19.00 & Shipping on Ebay.

It's got a center white chip. Green LEDs (really decent ULTRAVIOLET) & a built in Laser Pointer w/ 6 functions including strobe. Runs on 3 AAA

Video review found on YouTube.

Not sure if anyone has tried these from Fenix, but they look really good.

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_419

Strobe

I saw a version of these that have a strobe feature. Anyone have any opinions on a strobe function?

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    I saw a version of these that have a strobe feature. Anyone have any opinions on a strobe function?
    If you're referring to the Nebo Redline, it has 5 settings. High output (220 lumens), medium output (110 lumens), low output (22 lumens), SOS, and strobe. A half click of the tailcap button is required to cycle through the functions, but each works great. The strobe is fast and effective, though not easily accessed since you have to cycle through the other functions to get to it. One option is to shut it off while in SOS mode, then the next time you press the button to turn it on, you will be in strobe mode. Also has a magnetic base, defensive strike bezel/light diffuser, glowing red ring for map reading, glow in the dark tailcap, and an adjustable(!) beam. Check out the DC reviews here.

220 Lumens for $30!
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Links