Liberty Gun Safes

This is a discussion on Liberty Gun Safes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my Liberty safe for over 15 years, at the time the top 3 safes were, Presidential, Washington and Lincoln; I got the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Liberty Gun Safes

I have had my Liberty safe for over 15 years, at the time the top 3 safes were, Presidential, Washington and Lincoln; I got the Lincoln and had the Washington door put on it, 52 gun, highest fire rating with the electronic lock and have never had a single problem with it. It is 6 feet high 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep and weighs in at 1500# and can just barely fit through a door, the handle has to be taken off. The only thing approaching a problem comes when it is time to move, the last time when the 4 guys arrived and went to look at it, they all said "I quit" and turned to leave; luckily they were kidding but it did take all 5 of us to get it on the truck.

I keep it in a corner, bolted to the floor because the bottom is the softest side to attack; now I shoot black powder so where is the safest place to store your black powder but in your fire proof gun safe right?? I keep 6 1# cans of black powder "stored" at various locations against the one exposed side, go ahead and take a torch to my safe!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    Does anyone own a Liberty Gun Safe? I am looking to purchase a gun safe in the next couple of months, and was wondering what first hand experiences were with this brand of safe. Suggestions for other brands are welcome as well. My budget would be in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark, and I would need capacity for 5 long guns and about a dozen hand guns with room to grow.

Thoughts?
    Do you plan on moving? Do you move often? Something else to consider when purchasing a safe...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It's the room for long guns I'm needing. Handguns can be shoe-horned in.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a FatBoy 64, purchased at Gander Mountain on sale a couple yrs. back....great safe & they put them on sale all the time, even right now I think.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's the room for long guns I'm needing. Handguns can be shoe-horned in.
    Then consider this...the Fat Boy

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Liberty is a good safe for the money. As mentioned before,get the dial type. Electronic locks are not as reliable IMO.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I have a Fortress with a manual lock and have been very pleased with it. Sixty minute at 1200deg fire rating. Weighs enough with the guns in it that I don't feel the need to bolt it down (only way out of my basement though is up 10 steps). Other than fire rating and locking bolts allthe way around the door, the most important thing is buy bigger and I mean much bigger than you think your going to need. Some day you will be glad you did because you WILL need it.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I've got a Franklin 50 with a digital lock and had absolutely no concerns mechanically. My wife talked the salesman into a great deal on it. It's stuffed full and I plan to get another soon for the other side of the room.

My number one piece of advice besides to go bigger than you need is to have it professionally installed. The guys who moved mine in did a fantastic, fast job with no damage to the safe, the floor, or my house. I doubt my neighbor and I could have done so. It's worth the extra expense (unless you get my wife involved, she negotiated the moving for free in addition to everything else).
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Whatever you buy bolt it down . I have a Liberty 23 centurian that I like. Buy the largest that you have room for . Most gun safes aren't rated as safes they are rated as residential security containers. So unless you have over 10k to spend for an actual TL rated safe just find a decent Liberty,Browning,Cannon etc. that you like and be sure to bolt it down. You may be able to find a used TL rated safe but it still may cost more than what you are wanting to spend and you would definetly need to hire a safe mover because they weigh a whole lot more than a typical rsc rated gun safe.

I looked at the Liberty safe, but decided to go with Patriot Safe. Came all the way from California to Florida, was not charged for shipping and they brought it in to my garage. Take a look at their website.

A TL rated safe is a rating that is earned by a manufacturer based on the safe's ability to deter against tool attack for a time limit. Most TL rated safe are designed for banks and jewelers. You are not going to get a TL safe for guns. It would be such an overkill and such a monstrosity. Even the tall TL have so much wall thickness for the rating that there would be such a limited interior to store guns. Not to even mention cost.

With safes, it is like guns. You get what you pay for. If you truly want to know what you are buying. Ask the salesperson to take the back of the door off. You will need a phillips screwdriver in most cases. Then you can see the workmanship and the true difference between the models.

With the electronic locks, it sucks to see what happened to one of the poster..but guess what, mechanical locks fail as well. I absolutely recommend them. I've had both. With practice and a customized combo, you can get into one quick. However, not as quick as an electronic lock.

How do I know this? I sold gun safe, safes, and TL rated safes for about 4 years.

TL rated safes: You can get good deals from businesses that are closing their doors. I've even seen them go for free just pay to have it moved (and there's the expense)
    I've seen it cost 300-1,500 to move one. These are ALOT heavier than your standard gun safe.

Makes my stack-on look like crap, my collection is getting to the point to where I need a fire/water proof safe, been to cabelas and looked around they have a good selection, try Google gun safes and there is plenty of businesses that have a huge discount and some safes have free shipping
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    A TL rated safe is a rating that is earned by a manufacturer based on the safe's ability to deter against tool attack for a time limit. Most TL rated safe are designed for banks and jewelers. You are not going to get a TL safe for guns. It would be such an overkill and such a monstrosity. Even the tall TL have so much wall thickness for the rating that there would be such a limited interior to store guns. Not to even mention cost.

With safes, it is like guns. You get what you pay for. If you truly want to know what you are buying. Ask the salesperson to take the back of the door off. You will need a phillips screwdriver in most cases. Then you can see the workmanship and the true difference between the models.

With the electronic locks, it sucks to see what happened to one of the poster..but guess what, mechanical locks fail as well. I absolutely recommend them. I've had both. With practice and a customized combo, you can get into one quick. However, not as quick as an electronic lock.

How do I know this? I sold gun safe, safes, and TL rated safes for about 4 years.

Thanks for posting this. if I were a high value gun collector a TL safe would be desirable and probably necessary. My insurance company would probably require a TL as a part of there underwriting requirements. (meaning affordable premiums and required)

My Liberty is like a padlock meaning it simply keeps honest people honest. While offering some fire protection and deterrence there is nothing in it that can't be replaced with adequate insurance coverage. With proper record keeping and pics of contents and keeping my insurer informed of changes I'm good to go.

As for "other" non-recorded content it will still provide a level of deterrent that is adequate for my circumstances. Good deterrence includes bolting it down, placing in a less visible environment, and most importantly not talking about it's existence with anyone.

Bottom line for me is that its better than a locked closet or metal cabinet. Most home burglars are not true professionals (IMHO) and with my alarm system and neighbors they will not have the time to peel it. The biggest benefit for me is helping with my insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    Check out Cannon Safes
    Tractor supply center has them for a good price.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links