Liberty Gun Safes

This is a discussion on Liberty Gun Safes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own a Liberty Gun Safe? I am looking to purchase a gun safe in the next couple of months, and was wondering what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Liberty Gun Safes

Liberty Gun Safes

Does anyone own a Liberty Gun Safe? I am looking to purchase a gun safe in the next couple of months, and was wondering what first hand experiences were with this brand of safe. Suggestions for other brands are welcome as well. My budget would be in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark, and I would need capacity for 5 long guns and about a dozen hand guns with room to grow.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I got one via Cabelas when they offered a deal, about 2 years ago. I'm quite happy with it, but my advice - no matter which safe you go with - is to get the non-electronic lock. Mine came with a good (almost top of the line) Sargent & Greenleaf digital lock, which went brain-dead about 2 weeks after I got it. After numerous customer service calls with both Liberty and S&G, the "solution" was sorry, it's going to have to be replaced - by drilling. Which of course meant messing up the nicely painted, handsome face of my new safe which sits in a corner of my living room. By dumb luck, the lock finally opened the night before the locksmith came out to replace it, and he was able to do the job the right way, from the inside. Liberty and S&G were as helpful as they could be, but I doubt I'll ever try a digital lock again.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't offer the standard advice - buy a bigger safe than you think you'll need!
    Tzadik and soonershoote like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Around $1000 at Gander Mountain. Bolted all corners with 5" concrete anchors. IMHO, don't get the electronic lock. Took these pics before I loaded her up. Fills fast so like gasmitty said, get one larger than you think you will need! Good luck!

I have a tall Liberty and a short Browning...both are great.
    The short Browning has the digital lock and I've never had difficulty with it. The Liberty is a dial lock.

Here's some safe info...lots to consider! http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    RockStrongo likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great safes, I do wish I would have gotten a larger one than what your showing. I have the same safe you have. Only I don't have room for a single 22LR cartridge now.

I have one of their cheaper models. I like it a lot. Got it at lowes. I don't have room to store a giant one.

Great safe

Good looking safe, that is next on my list

I was in the market for a gun/fire safe earlier this year and spent countless hours researching safes. If you have an extensive collection worth tens of thousands of dollars than you will most definately want to research bank quality rated safes. But if you have a modest collection, any of the retail safes should do for you. The Liberty was on my short list when I was shopping (Franklin Series). I also drooled over the Fort Knox brand. Once I researched and found that most smash and grab crooks breach by not attacking the door (they attack the sides, top, or door jam) and can get in fairly quickly, I started looking for a safe that reinforces these areas. I ended up buying a Sturdy Safe - Gun Safes : Fire Safe Manufacturer : Sturdy Gun Safe IMO, they provided the best value in security. They will not be the livingroom furnature quality piece that the Liberty or Fort Knox will be, but most security folks will tell you not to advertize by having it out in the open for all of your visitors, service providers, and peeping toms to see.

Thank you for all of the suggestions thus far. I plan on mounting the safe in a discreet location, so having a "living room" piece is not important to me. I am mostly looking to keep a growing collection secure from the smash and grab thieves and also from fire.

I'm needing a new safe so am all ears in this thread.

I was wondering about the electronic lock. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical. I think I'll be looking for a mechanical lock.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I was wondering about the electronic lock. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical. I think I'll be looking for a mechanical lock.
    I likewise have been shopping, and my discussions with salesman indicate the lock failures are virtually all digital, and the 'call rates" on digitals are multiples of call rates on mechanicals. Additionally, one must change the combo frequently to avoid leaving wear patterns on the keypads and or dirty fingerprint patterns.

Go with an S&G mechanical, or something comparable, from what I learned.

I have one Lincoln 35,and a Fat boy,would'nt want any other brand,"IMO",the burn time is about 45 minutes on both.

I have a Browning gun safe. I did a LOT of research on this as well. There is a ton of info out there. My only advice is do a lot of research. There is a lot of "safes" that are nothing more than lockers. They may seem like a good deal but avoid them like the flu. Try to see them in real life and get some hands on experience. This is when you can really tell quality. I thought I liked one and saw it in real life and it felt like a coke can on the sides. Every brand out there has its "budget safes" and then quality. The budgets are made with weak metal, made in china, and bad fire ratings. I HAD TO have one made in USA. That was one of my only non negotiable.

Costco sells Bighorn safes. They say they are made in Idaho.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Check out Cannon Safes
    SCGunLover1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links