Safe recommendations?

Safe recommendations?

This is a discussion on Safe recommendations? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to finally be buying my first handgun and I'm going to need a small nightstand safe to keep it secure from the young'uns. ...

Safe recommendations?

I'm going to finally be buying my first handgun and I'm going to need a small nightstand safe to keep it secure from the young'uns. I'm starting to lean away from the Winchester safe and towards the Paragon because the paragon's buttons glow. But the Paragon also has a loud beep when you enter your code and a success tone. I'm not sure I want to be shouting "I'm getting my gun" to the BGs.

Are there any other safe out there that I'm overlooking that have that feature? (glowing buttons.)
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

This one does not have glowing buttons; it has a feature that when you unlock it it stays closed until you push the top in against the spring, the hinge only opens to 90° so your gun will not drop out on to the floor. I used to travel and fly a lot and really like this product. It is not necessarily the most ideal for strictly this application but it offers a lot of flexibility.

Armloc, Magnum hand gun security case for storage and transport of handguns and tactical weapons. FAA and GSA approved firearm transport cases.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Center of Mass: Center Of Mass Central - Quality Firearms Training. Minnesota (MN) permit to carry training

A superb company, easy to do business with, and great customer service.

Sentry Fire Safes have a disclaimer that they are not intended for weapon storage or ammo storage on the last page of the manual hidden in the binding edge of the page. It is a little pictograph printed in light gray. They cover their butts well...

Unless the round is under pressure, a fire will likely blow out the side of the casing rather than the projectile. Mythbusters did a special on it so you know it must be true... Nobodys house had any projectiles launched through it in that episode.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Center of Mass: Center Of Mass Central - Quality Firearms Training. Minnesota (MN) permit to carry training

A superb company, easy to do business with, and great customer service.
    I'm with R&G on the COM Safes. Although I use them in my vehicles, don't use a safe at home as I'm either wearing it, or it's on the night stand next to the bed.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I use the GunVault microvault. It's not a "safe" as much as it is a "lock box." It won't really prevent someone from stealing your gun, but it will deter unauthorized access.

There is a beep sound when you push the buttons however you can shut that off.
    It's does not have lighted buttons. When you lay your hand on the keypad, the finger groves make sure you can feel the right placement off your hand. It also come with a key that you can use instead of the keypad or as a backup.

This one is not biometric.
    1000947_MV500_B_600.jpg 1000947_MV500_A_400.jpg
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I use the GunVault microvault. It's not a "safe" as much as it is a "lock box." It won't really prevent someone from stealing your gun, but it will deter unauthorized access.

There is a beep sound when you push the buttons however you can shut that off.
    It's does not have lighted buttons. When you lay your hand on the keypad, the finger groves make sure you can feel the right placement off your hand. It also come with a key that you can use instead of the keypad or as a backup.

This one is not biometric.
    1000947_MV500_B_600.jpg 1000947_MV500_A_400.jpg
    I've heard a couple people say that the cable that releases the lock on a GunVault is prone to breakage, and when it goes the safe is useless. You've never had any problems?
    Ron Paul 2012

No lighted buttons but very easy with a little practice by feel to enter your combination. Also, very strong since it is welded from 3/16" (7 GA.) plate. All mechanical - no elec./batt.

Short clip: FAS1 SAFE - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I've heard a couple people say that the cable that releases the lock on a GunVault is prone to breakage, and when it goes the safe is useless. You've never had any problems?
    I have only had mine for a couple weeks but so far I haven't had any issues. I will try to take a good look at the mechanism tonight.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I found the one: Amazon.com: Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe: Sports & Outdoors

It weighs 24 pounds and is made of 10 gauge steel, plus mechanical lock so I don't have to worry about batteries dying. Works for me! Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Ron Paul 2012

I found the one: Amazon.com: Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe: Sports & Outdoors

It weighs 24 pounds and is made of 10 gauge steel, plus mechanical lock so I don't have to worry about batteries dying. Works for me! Thanks for all the suggestions.
    That's a good choice to store a couple handguns. The body is 11GA (1/8") and the door is 7GA (3/16"). It is the only other box that comes close to the strength of mine which is 7GA (3/16") on all sides. Be sure to bolt it to something solid.

7GA

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    That's a good choice to store a couple handguns. The body is 11GA (1/8") and the door is 7GA (3/16"). It is the only other box that comes close to the strength of mine which is 7GA (3/16") on all sides. Be sure to bolt it to something solid.
    Yeah, I liked the one in the video you linked, but I need the extra storage space. I'm not going to be putting two handguns in there (at least not right away, lol) but I do want to store a couple extra loaded mags and some other odds and ends.
    Ron Paul 2012

I'm going to finally be buying my first handgun and I'm going to need a small nightstand safe to keep it secure from the young'uns. I'm starting to lean away from the Winchester safe and towards the Paragon because the paragon's buttons glow. But the Paragon also has a loud beep when you enter your code and a success tone. I'm not sure I want to be shouting "I'm getting my gun" to the BGs.

Are there any other safe out there that I'm overlooking that have that feature? (glowing buttons.)
    Could the Paragon model be programed to delete the beep and the successful access tone? If you called the company perhaps they could advise you.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links