Alternatives To Snap Caps?

This is a discussion on Alternatives To Snap Caps? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not that I've actually used them yet, but are there any other reliable inert training/dummy rounds that I can use in the house for practicing ...

Thread: Alternatives To Snap Caps?

Alternatives To Snap Caps?

Not that I've actually used them yet, but are there any other reliable inert training/dummy rounds that I can use in the house for practicing and dry firing? I'm looking for .22LR, 9mm, .40 S&W, and 12 Gauge.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Color an empty case, so it's unmistakable. A spent 22 case works as is. You can fill an empty primer pocket with silicone sealant or a plastic insert.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

That's a great idea! I would have never thought of that. And they chamber properly that way?

Quote Originally Posted by samefly View Post
    That's a great idea! I would have never thought of that. And they chamber properly that way?
    Yes. It is also a very good idea to drill a hole in the side of the case.

9mm dummy bullet.jpg

This was recommended to me for my SA revolvers too. Not drilling a hole in the side of the case tho...may I ask why?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

A driled case can't be easily mistaken for a live round.

If you're going to make your own dummies fill the whole case with silicone sealant, not just the primer pocket. That way the bullet won't crush in the case after getting chambered a few times. For 12 gauge, get the clear plastic ones with the spring in them if you're only going to dry fire. If you're going to practice loading/unloading etc, get the solid orange plastic dummies (I forget the name, Brownell's has them) the clear ones will crack, they don't take the abuse that the orange ones will.

I pretty much don't bother with snap caps or dummies for dry fire, only for loading or handling drills. No problems yet.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Snap Cap

I've always used a case that sized, deprimed, and bullet seated to the correct overall length. To add a little weight, I fill it with silicone seal before seating the bullet. Then silicone the primer pocket. Adding weight helps with feel, I will usually make enough to fill a couple of mags.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

once fired rounds are not a good idea. the round has been expanded and you will have to close the slide on it to chamber the case and that will damage the extractor

Depending on what your goals are, a replica airsoft or BB/pellet gun may also work. If they happen to make a replica of your carry gun, you can actually practice drawing it, taking aim, and firing, all in the comfort of your home or backyard.

Keep in mind that the .22LR dummy rounds typically aren't good for dry firing. Since they are rimfire the rims are usually still made of aluminum or brass and will dent up like crazy if you fire with them in there. The centerfire rounds typically have a rubber spot in the middle, so those are fine.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Links