Anyone else have this problem with their LG-405's on a snub?

This is a discussion on Anyone else have this problem with their LG-405's on a snub? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently added the Crimson Trace LG-405's to my 642. I took it to the range the other day to get it aligned properly. Everything ...

Thread: Anyone else have this problem with their LG-405's on a snub?

Anyone else have this problem with their LG-405's on a snub?

I recently added the Crimson Trace LG-405's to my 642. I took it to the range the other day to get it aligned properly. Everything went well until I started doing rapid fire strings. About half way through the 5 shots the laser would quit. I would check the master on/off switch and it would be in the cut off position. The first time it happen I thought it was just a freak occurance. Well it ended up happening about 3 more times. Each time the switch would be fully in the off position or partially but enough to cut it off. The switch seems to have a decent amount of friction to being moved and "clicks" when moving from on/off/on. It seems unlikely that the recoil was enough to be moving the switch so I guess I'm gripping it tight enough that my hand is being squeezed up into the recessed switch cavity and moving the switch.

I called Crimson Trace to discuss the problem. They said they had never heard of that before. They are sending out a replacement and I'm to send this one back. I guess if this one does it as well, it's me. If so, the only thing I know to do is cut a small piece of rubber and wedge it behind the switch to keep it from moving to the off position.

Has anyone ever had, or heard of this problem?
    Sure you can trust the Government...Just ask an Indian.

2. Remove Ads

Can't say as I have. Mrs redfish regularly shoots some stout +P loads out of hers and loves the CT grip. She shoots the snubbie better than I can and we've not had any problems with the laser.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Are you perhaps hitting the switch with your support hand and or a finger under the grip?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Are you perhaps hitting the switch with your support hand and or a finger under the grip?
    I'm guessing the same thing but since it's recessed in there pretty good it's hard to get at. When I've tried to recreate it without shooting it I can't by smashing the bottom of the grip into my skin and moving it against my my support hand. But it's the only logical thing I can tell unless the switch movement is indeed on the light side. I guess I'll know soon enough when the replacement from CT comes.
    Sure you can trust the Government...Just ask an Indian.

I modify the LG359 grips (for the 59xx series) to fit the models CS9, 39xx and 69xx that CT doesn't make a laser grip for. These guns have a shorter butt so the first thing I have to do is remove the master switch. If you're handy with electronics, it is a simple matter to clip the wire from the switch and short the two conductors together to take the switch out of the circuit. (They are very fine wires so an Xacto knife is the best way to strip the insulation.) You could leave the switch in place to fill the hole.

So none of my carry weapons have the laser master switch, I don't miss it and it eliminates the chance of inadvertantly moving the switch to the off position.

Links