Need a good handgun sight tool

This is a discussion on Need a good handgun sight tool within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to replace the sights on my Kahr CW9 and my Springfield XD 45 and I want to do it myself. I bought a ...

Thread: Need a good handgun sight tool

Need a good handgun sight tool

I want to replace the sights on my Kahr CW9 and my Springfield XD 45 and I want to do it myself. I bought a "universal" sight tool that doesn't fit the Kahr and due to the aluminum jaws deforms the jaws rather than pushes the sights on my XD.

Can anyone recommend a good sight tool?
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

2. Remove Ads

The sights on the XD are impossible to remove that way. Send the slide back to Springfield or cut them loose with a Dremel wheel.

Really, all you need is a set of padded vise jaws and a brass punch and hammer. Carefully shape the end of the brass punch to fit the sight and tap it in place. No need for an expensive (non) universal tool.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks Superhouse 15. In addition to posting here I called Springfield. They said that at the factory they use a padded vise, a steel punch (they said brass is too soft) and a hammer. I feel reasonably comfortable with doing that to get the sights out, but I don't feel comfortable in hammering a tritium night sight in -- I'd feel a lot safer pushing it in.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Links