Glo paint or other instead of Trijicon sights?

This is a discussion on Glo paint or other instead of Trijicon sights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi. Since I got my fs 9mm M&P I have wanted to get night sights put on it. I've looked at the Trijicons, they seem ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Glo paint or other instead of Trijicon sights?

Glo paint or other instead of Trijicon sights?

Hi.

Since I got my fs 9mm M&P I have wanted to get night sights put on it. I've looked at the Trijicons, they seem well-recommended, both online and with local gun shop personnel.

However I cant find anyone to put them on for me. Not even the gun shop guys will do it. Nor do they know anyone local that will do it. (And I dont want to send the gun out)

So I was wondering about some of the glow in the dark...or other?....paints might work and I could apply it myself.

What are people's thoughts on this? Are there any recommendations for brands, colors, application?

Note: I do feel I need this. I've been practicing dry firing and acquiring my sights in lower light (but not even very low light) and had trouble seeing the front sight.

Thanks
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

It is not hard to do, just patience and pay attention when fitting the new, and watch the spring and plunger under the rear when removing. I am a bit miffed as to why the local boys won't touch it? Far from difficult IMHO, and I have changed many sights.
    JerryMac and Bark'n like this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

You can easily install them yourself with simple tools. Any glow paint is inferior to real night sights.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Would definatly recommend staying away from the paint, and would look around, if you did not want to put them on yourself, it is really not that big of a deal, sounds like you need to find another local gun shop to go to, even if you have to drive 50 miles, if they cannot put sights on a gun, appearantly all they do is sell them.
    You might even find this on utube.... but as stated above, just pay attention to what your doing and put them on yourself if you have no other option. Painting the sights to me is kind of like putting a 600 dollar gun in a fifteen dollar holster and wearing a wal mart belt to hold it up.
    CVarner likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I got the glo paint and it is a waste of money

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I got the glo paint and it is a waste of money
    I wasted my money too. I'll mail you a bottle for free if you want to see for yourself. Trijicons are worth the effort.

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, I have asked several gun shops and they say no.

(Not one gun shop employee or armorer has even implied that it's easy. Quite the opposite. I think they wont do it because of liability, but even so it does not sound 'easy.')

OTOH, I do have a gunsmith that works on my mounted shooting revolvers and he said he'd try. He's about an hr away and would do it while I waited.

Part of my reason was financial tho....but your replies have pretty much answered that too.

I appreciate it!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

something you want to keep in mind is that any night sights need to be exposed to light in order to work so if you have your EDC in a IWB holster and it is not exposed to light you are not going to see them anyway.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    something you want to keep in mind is that any night sights need to be exposed to light in order to work so if you have your EDC in a IWB holster and it is not exposed to light you are not going to see them anyway.
    You really don't know how wrong you are?

You really don't know how wrong you are
    You must have the battery operated ones

Night sights are night sights. The glow paint helps up to some types of low light situations.

You must have the battery operated ones.
    Not trijicons. My 2 grandkids pointed at my shirt one night, and asked what the green was.... it was the sights glowing thru the shirt. I can no longer wear that white shirt while carrying at night. There is another type, that take exposure to sunlight to activate.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

9MMare, you might want to go back and research a thread that Tangle posted awhile back entitled "Are Luminescent Sights A Best Kept Secret?" because there was a very interesting and informative discussion with some very excellent pictures he posted to show the low-light effectiveness of "lumi-dots" (whether they're pre-exposed to light or not) in quickly identifying the sight alignment in low or even bright light conditions.

Here's the link to check out some that work really good:

Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights

I've put them on every handgun I own with fantastic success at an extremely affordable price. They offer two options: (1) those that glow in the dark for a number of hours (if exposed to light first) but instantly provide extremely good contrast immediatly upon being exposed to even dim light as would happen if drawing from dark concealed carry, and (2) the highly flourescent type which don't glow in the dark but still provide excellent sight alighment in very low light.

At only about $12 for a pack of 8 little dots or a different pack with 4 little dots and 4 narrow strips, I bought a pack of each one so I could use a dot on a flat-backed front sight and the narrow strip on a ramped-blade front sight. Put 'em on even the tiny little front and rear sights of a .380 Colt Mustang with no problem and great results. They work great whether your budget is an issue or not.

Whether you decide to try them or not, don't waste your money on any kind of paint - been there, seen it, done that - very difficult to neatly apply and isn't worth a hoot after you've also wasted much time and effort.

VIP Member
    Wrong.

Tritium illumination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RIGHT
    The tritium in a gaseous tritium light source undergoes beta decay, releasing electrons which cause the phosphor layer to fluoresce.

Fluorescence is the emission of light by a substance that has absorbed light or other electromagnetic radiation

EDIT: who is to say how much light is needed but keep in the dark will go dead

and P.S. this is very intresting

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links