Passive Ear Muffs

This is a discussion on Passive Ear Muffs within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My current ear muffs suck. I got them when I first started shooting. They work okay when shooting outdoors but sometimes I can still tell ...

Thread: Passive Ear Muffs

Passive Ear Muffs

My current ear muffs suck. I got them when I first started shooting. They work okay when shooting outdoors but sometimes I can still tell that my ears are starting to hurt, and will go double up with ear plugs and ear muffs.

Anyways, I am looking at the options listed below. I am leaning towards the Peltors since they seem to be the middle price and have the most positive reviews on amazon.

Peltor H10A (30db)
    Peltor H7A Optime 101 (27db)
    Howard Leight Leightning L3 (30db)
    Pro Ears Ultra (33db)
    Pro Ears Ultra (28db)

Any one have any experience or recommendations of items that I should look into? I am not currently interested in electronic hearing protection.

Feedback is desired.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have a pair of Peltor Tac 7 electronic ears that I realy like. Be sure to check how easy or difficult it is to change the batteries. Don't be cheap good ears will last you years.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my dillon hp-1's are 15 years and still fine. peltors i bought for student use--neither lasted past 6 months.
    nor were they as fast to bring back speach after a shot. and changing batteries was a major pain.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I highly recommend Bilsom Viking earmuff-style. About $30 at most industrial supply firms. They fit well and have good padding around the ears that fit most anatomies.

Short of active earpro, if you need more than the Vikings, double up with the foam plugs.

For active earpro, I recommend the MSA Sordin Supreme, but those will poke a hole in $300.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    "I can still tell that my ears are starting to hurt,"

When you are experiencing ear pain you ARE damaging your hearing. So...whatever you decide on - do it before you shoot again. Hearing damage is cumulative.
    Trust me. You do not want permanent shooting related Tinnitus.
    It will change your life.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. @QKShooter, I'll be doing fine until we move into a shoot house or something, at which point I immediately go double-up on my ear pro. I just had my post-deployment health assessment and was told I still have superman hearing, so my goal is to maintain that ability as long as possible.

One more thing - the noise reduction ratings (NRR) are carried out using biometric dummies in laboratory conditions, necessary to assure consistent testing. But the way the earmuffs fit any individual head can vary widely, so the earpro with the best NRR might provide vastly worse protection than a lower-rated model. A lot of the fit has to do with the softness and formability of the padding, and how well the "bow" supports the two earpieces. Even wearing the bow behind the head instead of over the top can affect the NRR, and if you look hard you will find earpro rated for those different styles of being worn. This is particularly true for earpro used in industrial environments where hardhats preclude wearing with the bow over the head.

Best to try different models, if possible, to see how well they fit your head and your ears.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links