Have you been recognized as cc while carrying a "tactical" type of bag?

This is a discussion on Have you been recognized as cc while carrying a "tactical" type of bag? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read 9MMmare's post about her 5.11 carry purse being recognized by officers during a traffic accident response. That got me to thinking about ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By limatunes
  • 3 Post By sgb
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Have you been recognized as cc while carrying a "tactical" type of bag?

Have you been recognized as cc while carrying a "tactical" type of bag?

I just read 9MMmare's post about her 5.11 carry purse being recognized by officers during a traffic accident response. That got me to thinking about my carry options if I should have the need to carry concealed in a purse.

I'm considering getting a 5.11 across the shoulder bag to use as a purse/diaper bag. I've had my eye on it for a couple weeks now, just have not made the purchase yet (also considering a Disse bag). It is kind of worrisome that 9MMmare's bag was recognized and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the experience of carrying concealed in a bag or on your person while carrying a "tactical" type of bag (male or female) that made it easily identifiable that you were carrying. Were you stopped and questioned? Is this something that could make me a target to get singled out by law enforcement? Or am I just over thinking this? I'd be fine with it being a conversation starter, but I don't want to be constantly harassed because of it.

If you have any opinions or experiences I would appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If the 5.11 (or what ever company) markings/emblems (what ever you call them) can be removed/hidden/covered, I would recommend doing that. Anyone who knows those companies will be able to "make" you. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    My diaper bag/purse is a Maxpedition bag... while pregnant I carried in it.

I have never been asked if I was carrying a firearm in it.. that's probably because all anyone has ever seen me pulling out of it is baby stuff.

I have gotten a ton of comments on how handy the bag is and how great it is for what I need it for and where to get one but never, "Do you have a gun in there?" Not once.

sgb
    The only people that recognize stuff like 5.11 gear are the type of people who use 5.11 gear. Usually not the type of people you worry about.
    snowcake, BigJon10125 and Eagleks like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My fanny pack was asked about once. It was a girl working the concession stand at a local theater. She said the reason she asked is she was shopping for one for her dad.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I carry in a Maxpedition Fatboy and the only person who noticed it (have carried with it for 5-6 years now) was a guy in an REI store in Ft.Collins. He commented on how useful and well made they are. Others don't recognize the brand, I'd guess.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The only people that recognize stuff like 5.11 gear are the type of people who use 5.11 gear. Usually not the type of people you worry about.
    This. My brother in law is a paramedic. He uses the gear and recognizes when I wear the stuff only because he does. From my limited experience, only the people who use it, shop for it, or have been introduced to it know what it is. EVEN then, it doesnt mean you are carrying, it may (to those who know) mean that you work in some capacity or environment that requires good gear.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I was going to mention the Maxpedition Fatboy also. I was choosing between that and the 5.11 PushPak. The Max is more stylish (IMO) and less obvious. I chose the PushPak because the zipped pocket for the gun was much less stiff and narrow and easier to draw from (a guy at the range had one and we experimented.). The PP material is less stiff in general.

It's a tough decision for me...what to go with next (as I already have 2 other carry purses). I dont even LIKE purses and prefer to not carry one if I dont have to. If I do get the $ together for the LC9, I'm going to revisit on-body carry.

And while I'm sure cops recognize the 5.11 brand, the only others that have ever brought it up to me were other carriers...and it's been a few.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    My diaper bag/purse is a Maxpedition bag... while pregnant I carried in it.

I have never been asked if I was carrying a firearm in it.. that's probably because all anyone has ever seen me pulling out of it is baby stuff.

I have gotten a ton of comments on how handy the bag is and how great it is for what I need it for and where to get one but never, "Do you have a gun in there?" Not once.
    That's funny. My Range bag is a black diaper bag, with a small teddy bear on a tag on one of the zippers. It's got two drink pockets on the sides and a flap for my staple gun and a compartment for bullet boxes and an interior that fits my earmuffs, targets, magazines, gloves. I got it at a thrift store for $2.

Using 5.11 equipment is fun (also got that at thrift stores for $5 for a pair of pants, and $20 for a 5.11 shortsleeved double vert zippered black button down), but you should probably cut the tags off carefully.

For the last 4 or 5 years my wife has carried a Maxpedition Fatboy a lot of the time. To my knowledge, no one has ever given it a second look.

Maybe if she were ever in a car accident, an astute LEO might mention something, but no one in her everyday travels has ever given her the evil eye or nasty stare down. And certainly no one has ever come out and asked if she was carrying a gun in it.
    surefire7 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My wife and I carried Maxpedition bags as diaper bags for our twins for years and we never had any issues. I
    did get plenty of compliments, mostly from other dads, about having a cool looking bag but never got an inapropriate "gun" comment. Mine is tan, hers is black. Now that the kids are out of diapers we use them for just spare clothes, wipes, snacks, and the other incidental needs of four year olds.

I actually hardly ever carried a gun in it. Only a handful of times did I actually carry a gun, and it was a second BUG.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks for all the responses!

I guess I don't have anything to worry about unless I have a run in with the law--then I would have to tell them I was carrying anyway. It seems that none of you have been questioned just because you were carrying a bag that looked like a carrying bag. I suppose I could carry my pistol in my Coach diaper bag, then no one would question me! Haha.

I will also look into the Maxpedition bags since so many of you seem to recommend them.

I've been made as a carrier just by the make of my belt. (Wasn't carrying at the time)

I use a black Maxpedition Mongo as a diaper/day/iPad/possibles bag and have never received anything but compliments on it, mostly from women. It was one of a handful of things I grabbed when we had to evacuate for a fire. Two small warnings: it's big enough to pack so much into it that it becomes a pain to carry and the Maxpedition holster can be too friendly with some Crimson Trace activation buttons.

Links