Would you ever EDC a monocular?

This is a discussion on Would you ever EDC a monocular? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I know this sounds a bit crazy but I ask it out of the experiences I've had in the last few years. As a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Would you ever EDC a monocular?

Sponsor

Would you ever EDC a monocular?

So, I know this sounds a bit crazy but I ask it out of the experiences I've had in the last few years.

As a teen on the family farm, I always carried a knife, At college I hardly felt the need to so I stopped. When I started carrying, I finally decided to carry a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG. I love the knife and use it every day. later I ordered a fenix PD -30 realizing that if I was serious about self defense, I need to be prepared at nigh. For the first few weeks, I didn't touch the thing, it just sat in my pocket. Then I started loving having a flashlight on me at all times and use it at least once a day now and feel lost without it.

So, the question is this, do you think you would ever a compact monocular on a daily basis? Given its weight and its size it may only work for those that use a bad of some sort like a backpack or messenger bag.

So, would you use it? I'm not sure if I would or not, it would be a bit odd to see some guy whip out a monocular to check something out but it does have an advantage in some situations (witnessing a crime, getting a license plate, etc).

I keep a cheap set of binoculars in each of my vehicles and when I need them, I'm glad they are there. I typically use them for recreation/fun like when I'm taking a drive up the canyon and want to get a better look at a hiking trail or climbing route, or when I've gone to the range and forgot my other set (use it for zeroing a rifle at 25 yards, no walking and waiting for the range to cease fire). I have on occasion pulled out the set to check out something suspicious (although to some I was probably the suspicious one).

I realize this could be a bit over the top and maybe impractical, but to a lot of people carrying a gun is as well.

Just curious as to what you guys think.

Thanks!
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

Hardly over the top. I carry a small Zeiss monocular clipped in my shirt pocket or tucked into the neck opening of my polo shirt every day. It is the diameter of a thick pen. I use it every day, too. When ever something looks a little odd I "take a closer look" without actually getting any closer.

I carry much bigger binoculars in my vehicles.

I looked into monoculars for a good while, I keep a small set of Bushnell's in the bag (small back pack) I have with me all the time. I'm still on the fince with one cause I'm so used to the bi's.

No it's not over the top. I can't tell/explain all the things I learned/experienced being a bike courrier in downtown Houston for 6yrs....but haveing a set of bi/monoculars is advantages (sp) in most cases.

In a bug out bag? Yes. EDC? No.

If the potential trouble is so far away that I need a monocular to see it, I can probably just get away. So, for EDC, I think not. At night, you are better off with a good light - to distinguish a weapon from a wallet or a cell phone.

However - I am a firm believer in having a scope (with magnification) on your rifle. You'd better be sure, one last time before you pull the trigger, that the gun the BG is holding is in fact a gun, and not a cell phone. My assumption, of course, is that if you are using a rifle, that the threat is at some distance from you. In a temporary breakdown of law and order scenario, it is a very good idea to have binos (or a monocular) for general scouting purposes.

I learned this lesson in Somalia...from a distance, a slung walking stick looks very much like a slung AK-47 to the naked eye.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I keep one in each of my vehicles. You never know where you will find the Swedish Bikini team.
    shockwave likes this.

Administrator
    I've replaced the older, heavier binocs in my B.O.B. with a much lighter weight monocular. I've recently been trying to "shave weight" without compromising quality or effectiveness.
    I never really considered a monocular for EDC but, if there was a decent one that was truly key-chainn size" - I might consider it as I could see it being potentially (though only occasionally) useful.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I used to carry a cheap Brunton mono around every day and I loved it, forgot about it once and sent it through the wash, though, and that was that.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Administrator
    Slightly Off Topic To EDC of a monocular.

I added a VORTEX to my B.O.B. because it's light weight and Nitrogen purged "fog proof" waterproof and optically it's pretty doggone nice. No complaints though I think they could "slimmed it up" a bit more on the exterior design.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I dont think I'd carry one on me ever, but I do carry some compact Nikon binoculars in my patrol bag. They have come in handy a lot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If I ever need a monocular to view a crime in progress, that's good...I'm heading in the other direction while I call 911.

No, I don't think that I'd ever feel the need to EDC one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No.
    ~ Sigsi Paige

At first I thought you meant a monocular like Col Klink on Hogans Heroes wore.I got too much stuff I carry already,If I carry anymore I'm gonna have to get a Batman Utility belt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    "At first I thought you meant a monocular like Col Klink"

That would be a "monocle". I have contact lenses set so one sees good far away and the other sees good up close. Makes shooting interesting, both sight and target are clear. I have been trying to get a monocle for reading, but it is almost impossible to have a real one made these days, but costume pieces are easy to find.

Back to Monoculars, I have a few of these prismatics, LINK> Universal Prismatic Monocular UM8-2 binocular, optic sights, microscopes, telescopes, devices of night vision, night vision glasses, pipes of telescopes, night field-glasses, collimator sights, collimator sights, laser range finders . Russia captured and removed the Leica plant in Germany and makes some fine optics. These are very clear over distance. Don't know the price, my Brother worked at a place that imported Russian goods. I think some fell off a truck.

Binoculars with prisms are Binoculars, those without are called Field Glasses. I don't know how that applies to Monoculars.

There have been times, not self defense, related where I have wished I had something like that. Looking for addresses, wildlife viewing, many other things come to mind. Maybe now that they have become so compact I should reconsider getting one.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links