Safe advice - Page 2

Safe advice

This is a discussion on Safe advice within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Liberty safe with the dial, and a Browning safe with the digital lock. Neither has given me any problems for the last ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Safe advice

I have a Liberty safe with the dial, and a Browning safe with the digital lock. Neither has given me any problems for the last 7 years.
    My digital works great, and because of the 'feel' of the pads, I can open it in the dark, which is nice for these old eyes. I've only replaced the battery 3x in 7 years.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    SnapSafe Titan - Product Page
    Here is one you can build (snap the pieces together), but it only holds 12 long guns.
    It would be ideal for apartment living or someone who knows they will not be in one locationn for more than a couple 3 years. $900.00
    Can't go wrong with a liberty
    Here's another alternative:

Handgun and Long Gun Safes | Zanotti Armor®

Their order lead time as about 9 months.

I just got mine this past week and spent yesterday installing and assembling it with my son's help.

Large sheets of thick steel are HEAVY!

Quote Originally Posted by AWIZRD View Post
    Thanks for the rewind Smitty....I have a Fort Knox w/Digital...Not too sure if I'm ready to make the change over, but I'm sure this will make me be a little more attentive to battery changes :-). I've had mine for about 3 years now...guess I'm about due for a change.

Thanks again for the rewind
    The conventional advice for smoke alarms is to change the battery when Daylight time changes... whoops, doesn't work so well for us here in AZ. Maybe on your birthday?

Happy to rewind for a neighbor.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    SnapSafe Titan - Product Page
    Here is one you can build (snap the pieces together), but it only holds 12 long guns.
    It would be ideal for apartment living or someone who knows they will not be in one locationn for more than a couple 3 years. $900.00
    Can't go wrong with a liberty
    I was just looking at their assembly video online and had a *** moment. It looks like there are no hinge side locking pins! Whaaaa?

Bought used

Hi, I'm new here. Recently I finally got permission from the wife to buy a gun safe. My price range was 2500 max! That was tax included but I failed to realize I might pay 200.00 for delivery into my home. Anyway, I had been surfing the web, want ads, Craigs List, and all the premium safe mfg's here in Utah such as Liberty, Fort Knox, Champion, Superior, etc. (crazy all these mfg's are right here where i live). I actually was sold on the AMSEC BF6030 although it was barely in my price range I liked the 2 hour fire rating and combined security aspect. All you safe pros, please know I in no way claim to be a pro on safes : ). I searched the internet literally for months reading reviews, opinions on different safes, where to store them, etc, etc. I literally was frustrated at all the info. Although I live in Utah near all these great high quality sage mfg's, I was sold on the AMSEC. So here is what is interesting, I called a local gun safe mover simply to get a quote on moving the safe into my home and he mentioned he had an old National Security gun safe for sale as well as a few others. I opted to look at what he had as it never hurts to keep your options open and i was pleasantly surprised. He had a National Security Classic 30 model that was made in 1996. At first I thought "no way would I buy a safe that old." He knows all about safes and told me how the safe was built actually higher security then versus today, you just get a lower fire rating in the trade off as the old National Security has a steel plate door versus composite for example. But 'oh my' was this safe beautiful, FAR MORE beautiful than the AMSEC and considering it is going in my master bedroom where i can appreciate it, looks matter! My wife is a Hobby Lobby, Tai Pan Trading Company, Pier One Import decor conscientious wife and she barely agreed to allow the safe in the bedroom so it had to look nice. I called Liberty Safe to inquire about the 1996 year model Classic 30. The nice tech rep confirmed everything the locksmith told me including the trade of in the lower fire rating (45 min) but added security with the steel. He even said "We can't order that kind of steel anymore, no one can, you need to buy that safe." It was 1700 delivered to my bedroom. yes it is older, but it looks AWESOME and is still high quality. If I deduct 200.00 for delivery I comparatively paid 1500 for the safe. When I look at similar size safes such as Superior, Champion, Fort Knox etc, I think I did just fine. While my safe is 16 years old, I believe it is built better than a 1500 dollar safe today This safe is really nice and looks great in my bedroom (no place to hide it) and my wife agreed it looks very nice. I also saved 800 as I was about to spend 2500 on an AMSEC BF6030 that does not look as nice at all (yes i know it has a better fire rating). Point being keep your options open as I did and don't be afraid to buy used as long as you consult the mfg prior as I did and forums like this one for good advice from members. Also, liberty is allowing me to transfer the lifetime warranty, that is great! Sorry for the long reply everyone. I just know that while I was surfing the net for MONTHS prior to my purchase, I really appreciated informative posts and experiences. BTW- Hi from Utah : )

Classic 30a.jpgClassic 30b.jpg
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Only thing that I would add Kivmax is make sure your bedroom floor can handle that weight load over time.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by mel5051 View Post
    Only thing that I would add Kivmax is make sure your bedroom floor can handle that weight load over time.
    Good advice Mel5051, that is something else I considered. Fortunately my home was built in 2006 and the corner it is in is literally the corner of the home. however, unfinished basement is a plus in that I plan on adding a removable support beam from homedepot underneath the safe. Thanks for the caution for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have a Liberty safe with the dial, and a Browning safe with the digital lock. Neither has given me any problems for the last 7 years.
    My digital works great, and because of the 'feel' of the pads, I can open it in the dark, which is nice for these old eyes. I've only replaced the battery 3x in 7 years.
    How would you compare the browning & liberty - since you own them both? Quality, fit & finish, value?
    Thanks in advance !
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Let me throw Champion in the ring. I have a Champion Crown safe it is awesome.....holds 60 long guns, 2+ hour fire rating, 1 1/2 locking bolts on all four sides of the door and the safe looks great too. Also, I agree on the manual lock...the digital is trouble waiting to happen.

While my safe is 16 years old
    That never bothers me unless they get poor mileage and have a lot of time on the engine.

Good job! What's to wear out?

I have a Liberty Safe that is 18 years old. It has a high quality S&G combination lock. I have opened the safe thousands of times and will periodically use the day lock,(key), when accessing it all day. I am extremely happy with the finish, quality and durability of the Liberty Safe. I just wish it was bigger! I can only add a few more guns before I need to get another one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links