Safe advice

This is a discussion on Safe advice within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving at the end of this month and I want to upgrade my "locker" to a safe. I have not owned a safe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Safe advice

Safe advice

I am moving at the end of this month and I want to upgrade my "locker" to a safe. I have not owned a safe before or have ever purchased one. Right now I have a metal cabnet but its finally full and I don't trust the security of it. I would like some suggestions about what type of safe to purchase and how to move it. I will need atleast a 22 gun, fire resistant, and would like a digital lock. thanks yall.

2. Remove Ads

The search function here is your friend... much has been posted about safes. Including my very unhappy experience with a digital lock. Do your research, and post back with specific questions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here, a lot of info that should help...Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    Caertaker likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Depending upon where you are, check out Smith Security Safes. Vault Doors Gun Safes Vault Rooms. Doug Smith does a fantastic job. I did a bunch of research when I wanted to replace an old Red Head safe, and this is the brand I chose. Of course, I live less than 3 miles from his shop, so shipping was not an issue. But if you are anywhere in Ohio, this is a great choice. Disclaimer: I have not had experience with a bunch of safe companies. So I can only vouch for Red Head and Smith. Red Head is ok, and is available all over, but as far as quality goes, I'm extremely happy with Smith.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Reconsider your preference for a digital lock. Based on my research, digitals failure rate is much higher and your combo must be changed frequently to avoid tell-tale wear marks on the digital keys. Other than that, Retsup99's reference is fantastic.

Sponsor
    I've not had much experiences with safes, only purchased one but have done a lot of shopping around. We have a really awesome classifieds website put on by a local news agency, which is how I found mine. If cost is an issue you might consider purchasing second hand. One thing about safes, usually a 10 year old safe looks just like a brand new one. they are simply not high wear items.

Just a thought, I saved about 60% off of retail with my purchase.

Took them 1:44 minutes. to break into a safe , demo on breaking into it starts about 2:30 in video. (Liberty are much harder to break into)

Watch this : Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video - YouTube

Good info : Truth about gun safes .... GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" - YouTube
    ImFantastic likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I did allot of research myself including reading the gun safes buyers guide. All said and done, I purchased a Liberty Fat Boy because I got the best deal on it and it suited my needs. I had the mechanical lock changed out for a electronic lock for 5 second entry. At my age and with my eyes the electronic made more sense. The safe company I bought it from is also certified locksmiths and can replace the electronic lock with no visible holes should it fail. Remember rule #1: By a safe twice as big as what you think you need. That advise sure paid off for me. I paid an additional $200.00 to have the safe delivered here and where I wanted (no steps). The only heavy lifting at my age is restroom visits! Good luck.

I have a big Liberty. I got a good deal at a local gun show thanks to the negotiating skills of my wife. Having professionals install it is the best way to go. I was planning on getting some fellow firefighters to muscle it into place in exchange for beer (the way most major firefighter projects get done). Two pros moved it in quickly and safely with no stress or damage, and thanks to my wife it was included in the price.

I totally agree with what was stated above. Get a safe twice as big as you think you need. My Liberty is supposed to hold like 50 or 60 guns I think, but it holds less than it's rated to (scopes and long magazines like Uzis amd ARs take up more room) and you will always think of more stuff to put in it and you'll hopefully buy more guns (or as I told my wife, its warm and dark in there, the guns are all nice and close, and the ARs sweet talk the Glocks and next thing you know there's a new Uzi in the family).
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I had the mechanical lock changed out for a electronic lock for 5 second entry. At my age and with my eyes the electronic made more sense. The safe company I bought it from is also certified locksmiths and can replace the electronic lock with no visible holes should it fail.
    'No visible holes"... that means they put a 12-inch diameter trim plate under the new lock, after the old one gets drilled out. I hate to rain on your parade, but simply put, your safe won't look as nice as it does today after the existing lock gets drilled out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    SnapSafe Titan - Product Page

Here is one you can build (snap the pieces together), but it only holds 12 long guns.
    It would be ideal for apartment living or someone who knows they will not be in one locationn for more than a couple 3 years. $900.00
    Can't go wrong with a liberty
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I was told by a safe/vault repairman, that to get a good commercial quality digital lock, you need to spend $400 minimun. He said the little jobs they put on gunsafes are pretty chincy. For what it is worth.

Depends on what you want to protect, and what you wanna spend. I prefer a manual combo lock myself, but the digital is sure more convenient.

Gasmitty...do tell, what did you run into? I have a digital on my safe and was wondering if I should be concerned or prepping for avoidance of a disaster

Thanks
    "Gun Control - Hitting what you aim at"

NRA Lifetime Member
    Wilson Combat XTAC - Colt Wiley Clapp LW Commander - Gunsite Colt CCO - Kimber SIS - H&K USP40 - Glock 23 - Glock 27
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AWIZRD View Post
    Gasmitty...do tell, what did you run into? I have a digital on my safe and was wondering if I should be concerned or prepping for avoidance of a disaster

Thanks
    I've posted this a couple of times, but here's the rewind.

Brand new Liberty safe from Cabelas, with pretty high-quality digital Sargent & Greenleaf lock. Worked great for a week or two, then went stupid on me. I called Liberty, they were helpful but steered me directly to S&G. S&G sent me a new cable and connector, which made no difference. I pursued it with both firms, and ultimately Liberty contacted a local locksmith to come out and replace my lock with a manual one (per my request). Setting up a time to do it, I spoke with the locksmith and he explained the process... using a magnetic-base drill and lots of hardened drill bits to get through the door and the floating plates which protect the lock works from drilling. It would take about 2 hours of drilling and mess up the nice paint job on my safe (which is in my living room). Well, I got real lucky, and persistent attempts to open the lock gone brain-dead paid off the night before the locksmith came - the lock miraculously worked, which made it possible to replace it the 'right' way, from the inner side of the door.

Within a few months, a good friend from work had the exact same thing happen to him on a new safe, except he was less lucky and his safe had to get drilled out.

These might be the two unluckiest digital locks in the the world, but somehow, I don't think so. Also, I had just read Lights Out and wondered what the availability of 9v batteries would be when I needed them the most. I'll stick with my old-fashioned 'manual' lock, thanks.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the rewind Smitty....I have a Fort Knox w/Digital...Not too sure if I'm ready to make the change over, but I'm sure this will make me be a little more attentive to battery changes :-). I've had mine for about 3 years now...guess I'm about due for a change.

Thanks again for the rewind
    "Gun Control - Hitting what you aim at"

NRA Lifetime Member
    Wilson Combat XTAC - Colt Wiley Clapp LW Commander - Gunsite Colt CCO - Kimber SIS - H&K USP40 - Glock 23 - Glock 27
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links