Dry Lubrication - Eezox and other combo

This is a discussion on Dry Lubrication - Eezox and other combo within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have spent more time than I should obsessing about the perfect ccw lubrication setup. I carry a Kel-tec pistol with me everywhere. From daily ...

Thread: Dry Lubrication - Eezox and other combo

Dry Lubrication - Eezox and other combo

I have spent more time than I should obsessing about the perfect ccw lubrication setup. I carry a Kel-tec pistol with me everywhere. From daily carry I found rust in the barrel. I lube and clean at least once a week(more like three times a week). Although a great weapon, I have observed this problem in other Kel-tecs at gunshows, from friends etc. I clean my gun religiously and still manage to get corrosion from using oils like CLP, Rem. after a Reading about what others use on their guns I came across Eezox dry lube. I found great things about the rust inhibiting properties of this stuff, so I bought some. It seems to work great in the bore and leaves a nice finished feel on the outside of the gun. One thing it doesn't seem to do is lubricate well! I noticed accelerated wear on almost every internal parts that rub. Mag, rails, hammer all show new wear! I thought It might just be my wet lube mind being unable to accept a dry lube concept, so I looked on the net again. There are many tests about it's rust prevention- but no tests(save one test that was preformed by the Canadian Police where it was applied improperly) on how well it lubes a gun. I called Eezox several times and they seemed not to know much about anything except "If your gun starts sqeakin just apply some more." This would not do. I rely on this thing like an airbag. I need proof Its going to preform like a good one. So I think I should use the Eezox and maybe a grease combo on the internals? Maybe I should just use Eezox in the barrel? It's nice not to have to clean lint off of oily rails every week. Maybe I should find a new worry? I don't want to start the old oil vs oil debate, I just want to know if anyone has had similar experiences with Eezox, and what they did to help fix this.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

2. Remove Ads

Never heard of Eezox before, do you have a link?

I use Militec-1 for all my lube need's. It's a synthetic metal conditioner that soak's into the metal. They say it is a dry synthetic molecular bond, but it is far from dry.

Militec has many uses but for firearms you apply it, heat the firearm up with a heat gun or oven to allow the oil to bond to the metal and soak in. over time it get's better and better, you only have to heat it up once then after that apply as normal. Makes evething I have run great.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Here is an Eezox website
    eezox.com/gun-care.html

Here is one of the many corrosion tests preformed by individuals
    www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

The Eezox did very well
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

As far as a "dry-lube", I am a devout coatings convert. I have used Brownell's Teflon/Moly with excellent success, and am finishing my WASR with the "new" DuraCoat starter kit.

I have used most of the major lubricants, and my personal favorites are TetraGun and Militec. Brownell's does sell a two part dry-film that is supposed to be excellent, but I have not used it. Action Magic:
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...ON+MAGIC+II%7e

FWIW- I have not heard any reports of an excellent protectant also being an excellent lube, or vice-versa. The only exception would be: a lubricant coating (Teflon/Moly, Nickle/Teflon, various "Polymers")

Militec didn't do so good on the longterm corrosion test(Very bottom of link)

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Militec didn't do so good on the longterm corrosion test(Very bottom of link)
    Punching keys at the same time! No, I edited to reflect what I've heard/experienced most commonly. There is no "single-mix wonder".

so the action majic II has done you justice?

I didn't read the fine print! You haven't tried the action magic. Thanks for giving me something to obsess about for another week!

Wow, Militec, if that is a unbiased report/findings didn't do so good. But I tell you it works wonders on my gun's as they will never see the abuse they are putting that metal through and I have no rusting problems at all.

Maybe try the Eezox and another lube on contact points? I might give the Eezox a try and see if I like it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

That was my prescription after a tireless search on the internet:. I am going to try Eezox on all points except rails, hammer, internals. On these I will use Mil-Comm tw 25 grease(so it stays put).
    www.mil-comm.com/
    The military uses only this stuff on their big guns. It's been around awhile. This company impressed me with their interest in my business. I emailed them to ask about compatibility with Eezox and to ask for a sample, which they do offer by the way. The President of the company called me back and left a message to call him back. I did and he took the time to talk with me for twenty minutes about this stuff. He didn't try to push it on me. He was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about his product and others. He told me to take the free sample and put it on the most rickety problem gun I have and see if it improved performance. I was impressed with the care he took to explain this process. The Mil-Comm is compatible with Eezox if applied after Eezox dries, and is also completely non- toxic. He did not want to badmouth Eezox and showed great business politics with me. His company deserves a go-round.

That mil-comm looks promising. I will have to check it out further for grease on the rails.

Do to this thread I broke down both my carry gun's for a closer inspection. A Kimber Ultra CDP and a Colt Combat Commander. I attempted a pic of my barrell to show that there is no signs of any rust whatsoever so I am wondering if the Kel-Tec's barrels are just subseptable to the rusting vs other brands and grades of metals used?

Colt Combat Commander that has at least 6,000 rounds fired through it and that I carry just about everyday if not my Kimber. Not a great pick but gives you an idea, it is clean as a whistle.

Ti

Assistant Administrator
    Maybe the old cynic here but I don't have huge faith in ''dry'' lubes.

Militech1 does my slide rails - Mobil1 for other minimalist lubing.

Protection is either by wipes with my CLP impregnated cloth (rag!) - or an application of Boeshield. I have not come across bore rusting in a carry piece (yet!) - despite sweating buckets and the gun sometimes sitting in a 100% humid sweat environment between me and carry garment!

That is enough to produce corrosion on any steel items like levers, trigger hammer etc if not watched and kept wiped/protected.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think the rusting is a Kel-tec thing. I carry a flashlight to gun shows. I looked down every Kel-tec I could find, and there was rust on almost all barrels. In comparison almost no Khars(my other ccw choice) had bore rust. I don't blame Kel-tec, rusting just means a high carbon content from what I'm told. Besides, these guns are so dang light and tiny!

Links