How long does it take you to get sick of your carry setup?

This is a discussion on How long does it take you to get sick of your carry setup? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to carrying concealed and thought it would be appropriate to get some advice from seasoned packers from around the country. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How long does it take you to get sick of your carry setup?

How long does it take you to get sick of your carry setup?

I am new to carrying concealed and thought it would be appropriate to get some advice from seasoned packers from around the country. I have bought a Glock 19 Gen4, a Galco summer comfort IWB holster, and a $10 "riggers belt" from the local Army & Navy surplus store. The setup seems comfortable, I can hide my weapon well, and I am content.

I am just wondering if I got it right on the first time, or is everybody happy with their first setup until they try something new? How long did it take you to "grow out" of your first carry rig?

2. Remove Ads

Probably, not... it seems to me that most people go through a draw full of holsters before finding what works "best", and that too can change with your dress requirements.

Be patient, you'll figure it out.
    barstoolguru likes this.

You will probably make changes over time. But once you get settled, you might not change unless your lifestyle changes. Once comftorable I don't see the need to change.

First, let me welcome you to the forum. Now, I'm not sure what a "riggers" belt is, but just as important as a good holster is a good belt! You'll hear that a lot from people on this forum. Next, while a lot of people have tried numerous holsters, others have found ones that work for them without going through a drawer full. I have a Blackhawk SERPA that was my first holster, that I rarely use anymore unless it is to the range on occasion. My second holster was a Galco Avenger OWB that I still have and use frequently, depending on how I dress. I currently am sitting at my computer with my 1911 in a Galco Summer Comfort that has become my favorite for everyday carry. I'm also wearing a Galco belt. I have a Wilderness Instructor 5 stitch belt that I wear with cargo pants and shorts. I wear the Galco belt with Levis. These are comfortable for me, and I don't feel a need to spend more money experimenting with numerous other holster and belt combos. Others don't get it "right" until they've tried many more combos. It is really just up to the individual and what "works" for them.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I would highly recommend a better carry belt. Don't cheap out on the belt. Look into the Galco. They will last you forever. A quality belt will cost $50 or more.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    it does happen that one gets it right the 1st time.

its a combination of a bunch of things that usually need some tweeking, but even Murphy has an other side.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    If you are comfortable with your system for 8-10 hours per day, you are probably doing pretty well.

With diligent research, you can really cut down on the experimentation.

If you are like me, though, you will always be re-evaluating some aspect of your EDC.

Perfection is a journey, not a destination.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thank you all for your responses!

With regards to my belt: it's a nylon or synthetic type thing that very closely resembles a 5.11 belt. It's 1.75 inches thick and I think I'm going to stick with it until I can afford a Galco belt.

I do have a few more questions though. I tend to wear my pants slightly below my hips. Will that affect how close the gun is to my body if I switch to a crossbreed supertuck or comptac MTAC? Also, how big of a deal is printing? With a loose t-shirt it is unnoticeable, but when I bend down you can see the profile of the grip. I'm learning to be careful, but I'd rather not go to jail weeks after getting my CHL

VIP Member
    You'll learn some tricks like bending at the knee, instead of the waist. Canting forward also helps to hide the grip. You may struggle with a low-rider waistline, as it will tend to lean the grip outward instead of inward.

I've yet to find any close substitute to a double-layer, thick, stitched leather belt. MTACs and Crossbreed are both good holsters, IMHO.

A lot of folks will practice just carrying around the house until they are confident that they won't be brandishing in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Thank you all for your responses!

With regards to my belt: it's a nylon or synthetic type thing that very closely resembles a 5.11 belt. It's 1.75 inches thick and I think I'm going to stick with it until I can afford a Galco belt.

I do have a few more questions though. I tend to wear my pants slightly below my hips. Will that affect how close the gun is to my body if I switch to a crossbreed supertuck or comptac MTAC? Also, how big of a deal is printing? With a loose t-shirt it is unnoticeable, but when I bend down you can see the profile of the grip. I'm learning to be careful, but I'd rather not go to jail weeks after getting my CHL
    Printing is not against the law, brandishing is. You obviously want to avoid printing but in rare times you do print it isn't a big deal. If you are printing all of the time, you need to reconsider your CCW setup.

I tend to wear my pants slightly below my hips.

***? "Pants on the ground?"
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    For a belt, It didn't take long to realize I needed something with more substance, than what I had.
    A trip to Wal marts, (yeah yeah I know) I got ahold of the thickest black belt they had, and was good to go.
    It works well with my Desantis Nemesis(mines black), and a no brand leather single clip holster.
    These work very well for me and I am happy.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I am new to carrying concealed and thought it would be appropriate to get some advice from seasoned packers from around the country. I have bought a Glock 19 Gen4, a Galco summer comfort IWB holster, and a $10 "riggers belt" from the local Army & Navy surplus store. The setup seems comfortable, I can hide my weapon well, and I am content.

I am just wondering if I got it right on the first time, or is everybody happy with their first setup until they try something new? How long did it take you to "grow out" of your first carry rig?
    If it works , it works. Sometimes got them right on the first shot, other times struggled with what worked best with that gun. But, when it's right, it's comfortable.... leave it alone.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Been there, done that...have the holster box.
    Finally found my EDC, my holster, and the best place of CC (for me).
    Things will probably stay the same for a long time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can I feedback on these photos? This is how I wear the gun. The photos with one leg in the air are supposed to simulate walking. What do y'all think? Passable?

IMG_0231-1.jpgIMG_0234-1.jpgIMG_0235-1.jpgIMG_0236-1.jpgIMG_0237-1.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links