need help from fellow dc members and prepers!

This is a discussion on need help from fellow dc members and prepers! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys and gals, once again I am overwhelmed at the amount of feed back from this wonderful site and great people. You all have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: need help from fellow dc members and prepers!

Well guys and gals, once again I am overwhelmed at the amount of feed back from this wonderful site and great people. You all have very valid points that make much sense. I get so overwhelmed when I think of all the stuff needed to prep and I get exhausted. Where do I start? Do I get food and water for three months then say okay time to move on?? Where is the cut off point to start a new category? I feel if you don't follow a system I am going to just buy a bunch of random crap and have a lot of little categories with little to offer? And what about meds? The meds off the shelf (asprin, motrin, etc.) Only last a year or two? I need some guidance on these things?! If prepping only and no other firearm then what type of preps are in line? List some specifics of your collection for reference would be great. Thanks so much in advance!

2. Remove Ads

A Henry Rifle in .22mag...just a little more power...out a little farther...close to the same cheap ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Well guys and gals, once again I am overwhelmed at the amount of feed back from this wonderful site and great people. You all have very valid points that make much sense. I get so overwhelmed when I think of all the stuff needed to prep and I get exhausted. Where do I start? Do I get food and water for three months then say okay time to move on?? Where is the cut off point to start a new category? I feel if you don't follow a system I am going to just buy a bunch of random crap and have a lot of little categories with little to offer? And what about meds? The meds off the shelf (asprin, motrin, etc.) Only last a year or two? I need some guidance on these things?! If prepping only and no other firearm then what type of preps are in line? List some specifics of your collection for reference would be great. Thanks so much in advance!
    If you are overwhelmed I suggest checking out this book called When All Hell Breaks Loose. It is not an EXTREME SUPER HARDCORE SURVIVAL book, but a great - and funny - read to isolate and focus on the basics. It's a bit corny and some parts are harder to read, but a good starting point. I also suggest books like the SAS Survival Handbook. Read them, then figure out what your REALLY need and start slow.

Amazon.com: When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes (9781423601050): Cody Lundin, Russell L. Miller, Christopher Marchetti: Books

http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-H...8114938&sr=1-1

Administrator
    I think a 22 is the most important firearm to have in a survival situation. It can most almost everything any other rifle can do, yet it costs a lot less to purchase, a lot less to keep a healthy supply of ammo- Its a no brainer to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get the .22 LR.

I have three of them, a Browning Challenger II semi auto pistol, a Smith & Wesson .22 revolver and a 1960's Sears bolt action tube magazine .22LR rifle.

My wife likes the looks and feel of the Ruger 10-22 and perhaps that will be the next .22 rifle purchase.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

we have 5 22's
    wife:Beretta Neo tricked out in pink grips and slide and sights
    Me: Hunter MK III and Ruger 10/22 with BUll barrell
    Son:Same

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Start small - it is a lifestyle change. The problem with big chunks of money is it encourages buying big things that may not be the best option. Start with a good family plan and work the plan. Buy a little extra food and water each month, a little over time until you have what you feel is enough. Only buy those things your family will use/eat/consume. Include the stocks in the regular rotation. It is a lifestyle.

Medicines really don't go bad in a year or two, with the exception of a limited few drugs. Most medicines maintain a high effectiveness for decades after the expiration date on the label. Medicine, vitamins, soap, and basic sanitation supplies are often overlooked, but critical to long term living.

I say 10/22 and use $200 of your $250 for a tax stamp for a suppressor and put the last $50 towards a suppressor or for ammo.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm twice as accurate with my 10/22 inside of 100 yds as any of my other rifles. We shoot at golf balls. Outside of 100 yards, the round starts to fall pretty fast and is losing speed quickly. The best part about .22LR is buying ammo by the 5K instead of just 1K, and having $ left over to go eat out.

Backing up to your original question - you have a good battery of centerfire rifles, so now it's time to add a rimfire. The hands-down popular vote (including mine) is the Ruger 10/22, but a good tube-fed lever or slide-action .22 will fill the need as well. A decent scope of about 4x fixed power or 3-9 variable is just about ideal, and not very expensive (e.g., Simmons "22 Mag" 3-9x32 for under $70). This is an adequate if low-powered defensive gun, and a versatile meat-harvesting tool.

Along with the gun, invest in several 500-round bricks of decent ammo (the stuff with 50-round boxes, rather then the loose 'bulk pack') and you'll have a valuable trading commodity in the event of social breakdown.

If you elect a 10/22, I'd suggest at least 3 10-round mags and a couple of BX-25 high-caps, and install some sling swivels to give you the option of a carry sling if you need to move on foot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

All of your ideas are great! Now this guy in texas (jib armory ) is telling me hey I will make you an ak47 for $650 to your door!? I'm so torn because I want one so bad but I almost feel as if the responsible thing is to buy the 22 and preps. I am just scared that my now two year old won't be able to buy the assault rifles we enjoy now days and with the new elections coming up I don't know how long we can get them? Can anyone help me with this or do I need to seek Dr help!? Lol!

A good question is what does your wife think. If your talking about spending $700 and it sounds like that's a lot of money for you and your budget ask her opinion. I'm not saying let her talk you into buying baby formula and diapers instead of guns, that would just be foolishness I've found my wife usually has good insight into needs and what is a good buy and most of the time is right.

As far as prepping do you have any cash saved and available, I mean paper money that stored at home. You might be just as well off to stick that money in the safe for emergencies. As much as we like to plan for TEOTWAWKI and the zombies attacking and having to go Mad Max on the neighbors a localized natural disaster or banking disruption is a more likely scenario. The ability to purchase needed supplies or repair parts when the power grid is down or the banks aren't processing transactions will be of utmost importance, and cash is king. Another good book to read is The Modern Survival Manual by ferfal. It's written buy a guy that lived in Argentina when their economy collapsed and is based on real world experiences not theoretical scenarios.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think a 22 is the most important firearm to have in a survival situation. It can most almost everything any other rifle can do, yet it costs a lot less to purchase, a lot less to keep a healthy supply of ammo- Its a no brainer to me.
    A friend of mine and I were discussing this the other day. A .22 does more things gooder...LOL than some other calibers who do some things well but other things poorly. I think the balance is ahve a good sidearm and a good .22 with lots of ammo.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Agreed that you are woefully in need of a 22. BUT....I am a bolt gun guy. Although I do have a Remington 66, all other rifles are bolt actions. I vote for a Ruger 77/22. But they are expensive, and worth it. If too high, get the 10/22. But get some flavor of 22.

You do not NEED an AK. Your two year old certainly does not NEED an AK. You WANT an AK. There's the difference.

I'm going to disagree with some folks here. Yes, a .22 is good to have. But, you already have shotguns. Shotguns are even more versatile than a .22. You can use bird shot for small game, buck shot and slugs for defense and/or larger game. Instead of a .22, you can get some ammo for your shotguns.

Put some cash away every week - small bills. When the power is out, you will need that to buy things. Small bills, so folks don't need to give you change they might not have.

Water? Get plain bleach. A few drops will make iffy water potable for drinking. Look up the ratios on line.

Food? Buy a little extra canned goods every time you go shopping, and just put them away.

You can only use one long gun at a time. If you need to move on foot, are you going to take a .22? Not likely. While it can be pressed into defensive use, it is not really the best choice for that. A shotgun, in contrast, will do everything you need (small game, large game, defense) within 100 yards. Sure, you can carry a whole lot of .22 ammo, but I'd rather use a shotgun for defense.

Besides, with a wife and a kid (I've got two), defending in place is a whole lot better than bugging out on foot!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links