need help from fellow dc members and prepers!

This is a discussion on need help from fellow dc members and prepers! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay here is the break down. I have been planning on getting taxes back and buying an ak47. Then I started really thinking about things ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: need help from fellow dc members and prepers!

Question need help from fellow dc members and prepers!

Okay here is the break down.
    I have been planning on getting taxes back and buying an ak47. Then I started really thinking about things recently and thought "I don't have a good 22". Here recently my wife and i got serious about prepping but the bad thing is we don't have the budget to do so as we want but a little at a time we are getting there. But just like our diet its a lifestyle not a achievement. I know in a survival type situation of any kind a 22 will be invaluable. Here is my though process. I have a nice ar. I have a sks tricked out a little. I have 2 Remington 870's. And several pistols and hunting rifles and other shotguns. It's only my wife, myself, and our 2 year old son. I have enough "battle rifles" for us and few extras. I have a decent stock of ammo. I figure instead of buying yet another rifle to feed and buy mags and what not for I could buy a ruger 10-22 and spend the other $250 on preps. I don't have a good 22 and I know I need one and even just to bring my son up on one. I wanted an ak47 because he might not be able to ever get one with our wonderful government and I want him to have an upper hand and collectables. My questions are: 1) is this the smart move or go with the AK?? 2) what preps should i buy with that $250? More food and water? I don't have a lot now at all. Probably a month worth maybe less. Sorry for the long intro. Please help!!!??

2. Remove Ads

Buy a S&W M&P15-22,it will help you train,concerve your 5.56 ammo,and still serve as your small game weapon if need arises,the .22 is a have to in preparedness,the supplies you can buy a little here and there,I will usually pick up a few extra things every week as we buy groceries,so you build up slowly,it does;nt hurt as much as dropping a bunch of money at one time.

I can't speak for the AK, but I own a Ruger 10-22 and it would one of the first things I reached for if the SHTF. Just about ANYONE can afford to stockpile .22 ammo and with just a couple of boxes you could feed your family for a LONG time and even fend off looters or other undesirables.

Now that Ruger created their own high capacity BX-25 (25 rnd) magazine, the 10-22 is a reliable little fireHOUSE.

yea skip the ak for now and go with a 22lr and a ton of good ammo

Administrator
    Every time you go shopping or to the pharmacy pick up a gallon or two of DISTILLED water. That way you'll always some absolutely pure water that stores forever and is water that you can use for drinking, dehydrated food prep, and medical uses such as wound flushing.

Some of the many places that you can check often for their specials are foodinsurance.com - efoodsdirect - WISE foods - Backpackers Pantry - Mountain House foods.

Also there are many "off the shelf" supermarket items that will store much longer than their expiration dates.

Just start keeping a well stocked pantry with canned and packaged foods that you normally eat anyway. Just rotate your stock and keep moving your older items to the front.

Also things like SPAM LITE have expiration dates right now of 2015 or 2016.

I agree. A 22 LR is invaluable in most any type of civil upheaval. Think of how accurate they are. You can put a whole mag full in a paper plate at distance as fast as you can pull the trigger.
    They may be the most overlooked per value item anyone can own.
    JerryMac and gasmitty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I actually have 4 22 rifles,2 10/22's both scoped,my dads Sears Roebuck 22 SA tubular magazine,and a Henry Survival 22 that fits everything in the stock with 2 8 round mags
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I've also recently re-discovered the value of the 22 long rifle. I had forgotten how accurate and potent that they still are.

I have several 22s, and they are definatly a must have, a nice 22 pistol is also something to think about, the ammo is cheap, accuracy is very good, as for prep stuff, all kinds of websites out there, look for the ones that offer free shipping over 100 dollars and do not forget to spend on a seed bank, we buy our foods a little at a time, at the grocery store and when we have the extra money we go to a Mormom Church cannery that is not to far away, and buy several cases of #10 basic staples with long shelf life. wise foods, / ebay / amazon / if you can budget 100 a month, that way you pay no shipping, it is all good....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Ruger 10/22 plus a repair kit or even a second 10/22, one with iron sights, one with a four power scope. Then start buying bricks.

A .22 with a can is a grand prize!

....just sayin.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I'd buy a .22 Great for hunting and training other people. Don't overlook Marlin rifles they're cheap and reliable. I picked up a magazine fed semi-auto with a 4x scope last year for less than $200

If your wife is on board and does most of the cooking and grocery shopping put her in charge of food stock. It won't do any good for you to buy stuff that she doesn't know how to cook. Remember store what you eat and eat what you store. At first it's no big deal if your supplies only have a 5yr shelf life if you're constantly using and replenishing it.

Start building your supplies by time frame. Look at what you have now. Do you have everything you need for a week if not start there. Then go to a month and so on. I won't do you any good to have food and ammo for year if you'll run out of water in week. Seeing you're from AZ I would assume water would be a big deal.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

10/22 with bull barrel, then start modifying it! Very accurate at 100 yards and fun to mod. You can even make it into a tommy gun

Let me rephrase this from my view...

You are on a limited budget for prepping, but are trying to decide between an AK and a .22, when you already have a decent collection. So which of the before mentioned three (prepping, AK or .22) is most important to you?

VIP Member
    Your firearms stores are already well stocked. My recommendation is to skip adding another firearm at this time and focus on the basics: food; water; medicine; basic tools. These will be invaluable should the need arise. You can't eat bullets, er, well, you can, but then, none of this would matter anyway.
    Mattmann likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links