Sighting in a laser

Sighting in a laser

This is a discussion on Sighting in a laser within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I added a laser to my Glock awhile back and am having second thoughts about how I sighted it in. I assumed if I had ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yankeejib
  • 1 Post By Okemo

Thread: Sighting in a laser

Sighting in a laser

I added a laser to my Glock awhile back and am having second thoughts about how I sighted it in. I assumed if I had to use it for home defense it would be within 20 to 30 feet at the most. At approx 25 feet the laser is dead on. However, since the laser sits about two inches below the barrel then the laser certainly cants upward. IF I ever needed to fire at something further out I'd surely hit off the mark.

I'm now thinking the laser should be true to the barrel and just aim two inches low to get a true shot.

Anybody have the same view?

And I do realize that the heading should be "Sighting in a laser". My bad.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

You would be correct. Always made me always wonder about lasers mounted on the side. Now you introduce left/right error. Better to learn to shoot your gun without first, then use it as a training aid. After much experimentation and practice, I'm just not much of a laser fan.
    smirk43 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    You would be correct. Always made me always wonder about lasers mounted on the side. Now you introduce left/right error. Better to learn to shoot your gun without first, then use it as a training aid. After much experimentation and practice, I'm just not much of a laser fan.
    Oh, don't be mistaken, I've shot this gun often and the sights work great. I've always had a good 'point and shoot' ability with the Glock. The laser (and an accompanying LED light) is for the inevitable NIGHT TIME potential need.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

laser are great, two ways to sight one in. the first rule of thumb is a laser is like a rifle scope in that it will cross the line of sight/fire. Say the laser is one inch under the gun it will cross the line of fire at some point that you pick say 20 ft or so. Two it can be adjusted to fire in a straight line to the barrel. the laser is an inch under the line of fire at all times so the laser is at a parallel to the line of fire so it never crosses it and you need to adjust your shooting. One inch is still in a kill zone and no matter how far you shoot it will never crosses the line of fire

edit: correction it will cross the laser as the bullet drops but that will be over 50 ft or better
    Last edited by barstoolguru; January 31st, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    laser are great, two ways to sight one in. the first rule of thumb is a laser is like a rifle scope in that it will cross the line of sight/fire. Say the laser is one inch under the gun it will cross the line of fire at some point that you pick say 20 ft or so. Two it can be adjusted to fire in a straight line to the barrel. the laser is an inch under the line of fire at all times so the laser is at a parallel to the line of fire so it never crosses it and you need to adjust your shooting. One inch is still in a kill zone and no matter how far you shoot it will never crosses the line of fire
    I like that......great answer.
    2wheelGnnr likes this.

I sighted my Insight M6 Laser/light combo in @ 21ft. attached to my Gen4 Glock22. It is my beside rig along with my Springfield XDM 45.

I wouldn't overthink this. I sight my lasers in for 25ft. I can still shoot at 50ft. at virtually the same spot.

I put a grip laser on my daily carry Glock for 2 reasons..... reflex first shot to get close and the fact that a red dot of a laser helps stupid people do less stupid things :-) I don't use it at all for controlled shooting. I learned to shoot using the sights and that's what I depend on. The iron sights almost never fail and don't need batteries. Meaning 99.995% of the time, you can depend on them.

I also just bought a Streamlight TLR2 with strobe and laser for my Px4 45 night stand gun. That thing is the bomb LOL :-) The light is killer.
    Last edited by Honk; January 31st, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Typos
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Mine are set at 21 feet. Let's face it, we are talking inches here. If in a tense situation in low light if I am hitting a target 20-30 feet away with that small of deflection, I am a happy camper.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The object is to get shots on target quickly and relatively accurately (in a real world sense). You don't have to get 1" groups.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I sight them in paralell to the bore. The offset doesn't make much difference.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

They are not designed for target shooting. they are for getting on target quick and for some circumstances when you are not able to aim in your traditional manner using your pistol sight. The chances of you using your weapon beyond 30 feet in self defense would be pretty rare but even so it would still place you on target Close enough. You are overthinking this. Just think of a 8 inch paper plate from 10 feet out to 40 feet if you can place most shoots in that 8 inch circle then it is doing what it was designed to do

crimson trace has a free video on why you need a laser. there are lotds of good tips in it on do's and don'ts with a laser; it's free all you have to do is go to there web site and order one

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I sight them in paralell to the bore. The offset doesn't make much difference.
    Exactly my thinking.

Sponsored Links