Streamlight TLR2 Light & Laser

This is a discussion on Streamlight TLR2 Light & Laser within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought one of these for my "night stand" gun, a Px4 .45. I am really amazed at how bright and disorienting that strobe ...

Thread: Streamlight TLR2 Light & Laser

Streamlight TLR2 Light & Laser

I just bought one of these for my "night stand" gun, a Px4 .45. I am really amazed at how bright and disorienting that strobe is. My son and I played with it when it came in, both in daylight and pitch black. Unbelievable at night and still pretty darn good in daylight. It definitely gets your attention.

Ok, so maybe I'm easily impressed

Anybody else using these for home defense weapons? Your thoughts?
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

2. Remove Ads

I looked at the TLR 1 but ultimately ditched the idea of a weapon mounted light. The nature of weapon lights is that the gun must be pointed at what is illuminated. That seemed potentially dangerous to me, so I went with a Surefire handheld light with zillions of lumens that was half the cost of a weapon light.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    The nature of weapon lights is that the gun must be pointed at what is illuminated.
    No it doesn't. This is a common fallacy, and people most often misuse WML's. A WML is not a flashlight and should not be used as such.

Carry on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Additionally, flashlights and weapon mounted lights can illuminate indirectly. They don't have to be aimed directly to do their job.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No it doesn't. This is a common fallacy, and people most often misuse WML's. A WML is not a flashlight and should not be used as such.

Carry on.
    So do you use another light too? I could only afford one. Do you have a holster for your gun that accommodates the WML? I get the "illuminating indirectly", but you still have to point it somewhere.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    don't have one, how much weight did it add to your gun? did it make it feel heavy? I know you siadi this was your home defense gun but I carry multiply guns and whatever i'm carrying that day goes on the night stand... almost all of my guns have night sights only my smith and wesson .380 bodygurad has a laser but been thinking about a couple
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Here's a mind boggler. I shot 500 rounds through my 1911 with a TLR-1 on it. It wasn't broken before I took it out for a test run. After shooting, I put it back into the hard case with foam. Came home cleaned it and put it away. Today I went to take some photos of it and... Well take a look

How can that happen from just shooting? I did not bang it or drop it. I'm puzzled. Maybe my targets shot back at me and hit my light ;)

RKM
    My TLR-2 never leaves my HK USP.

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    don't have one, how much weight did it add to your gun? did it make it feel heavy? I know you siadi this was your home defense gun but I carry multiply guns and whatever i'm carrying that day goes on the night stand... almost all of my guns have night sights only my smith and wesson .380 bodygurad has a laser but been thinking about a couple
    Didn't add any "noticble" weight. The gun is pretty heafty as it is anyway, so I don't notice any difference. I practice with it at the range in low light conditions using both rapid shots immeadiately after identifying the target and the same with the strobe function. The interior of my house is usually pretty well lit, even at night with the driveay lights, streetlights and such. The church 2 doors down put up a night light that makes my yard look like a football stadium, so we get a lot of ambient light inside
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    So do you use another light too? I could only afford one. Do you have a holster for your gun that accommodates the WML? I get the "illuminating indirectly", but you still have to point it somewhere.
    It depends on a few factors if I use another light or not. Yes, the light has to be pointed somewhere, as does your muzzle, light or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Dsully..... you think maybe you got hit with a piece of shrapnel or something kicked up on your last shoot? That would be a scary thought if that is what indeed happened. I've got the TLR1 on my AR, so I feel your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    Dsully..... you think maybe you got hit with a piece of shrapnel or something kicked up on your last shoot? That would be a scary thought if that is what indeed happened. I've got the TLR1 on my AR, so I feel your pain
    Honestly, I think that is the only logical answer. If you look at the crack, it looks like something hit it. I thought the glass would be pretty tough and if it is, that is one hard hitting piece of shrapnel. Good thing the light was there to stop it or my hand would have gotten hit by it.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a TLR2 on my wife's nightstand gun (FNP40) and am very happy with it. I use a Crimson Trace on my 1911. We also have Streamlight flashlights on each nitestand. As noted above, a weapon light is not a flashlight.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I contacted Streamlight and they pointed me to a dealer near me. It will be 2 weeks for a replacement to come in and cost $15. I thought these had a lifetime warranty??

Links