Leather Damage Question

Leather Damage Question

This is a discussion on Leather Damage Question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I have a police note pad holder made out of hard leather that I have carried for years and has sentimental value. It ...

Thread: Leather Damage Question

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar

Leather Damage Question

Hey guys,

I have a police note pad holder made out of hard leather that I have carried for years and has sentimental value. It accidentally made a trip through the washing machine, and the leather is now way too soft.

Is there any way to stiffen the leather? The leather is very similar to holster leather, which is why I am asking here. I know we have a lot of professional holster makers here!

I realize it will probably never be the same, but it was given to me upon my academy graduation in 1988 and I would like to try and salvage it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and hopefully I posted this in the proper place.

Alcohol will stiffen it, but also dry it out. Try wetting it completely, then let it air dry.

Thanks!
    Charlie

Depending on how its built you may be able to laminate the leather to something stiff like kydex to keep its shape without adding much in thickness. You may be able to stiffen it back up some but likely not real far. Another thing is the wash cycle likely has soap and other things which may have soaked in. You could try soaking it in just plain warm water for a few minutes then dry it around 110 degrees for a few hours.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wrap you gun in plastic and put it in the holster as it dries in room temp.it will retain it shape; drying it to fast will crack the leather

edit : sorry misread

if possible back it with a piece of aluminum plate and paint it black
    Last edited by barstoolguru; February 8th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    wrap you gun in plastic and put it in the holster as it dries in room temp.it will retain it shape; drying it to fast will crack the leather
    That would be good advice...if he were talking about a holster.

From what I understand (I am not at all an expert), soaking it for two minutes in warm, clean water and then allowing to dry in a warmish room overnight should add some stiffness. There are also products out there designed to stiffen leather, such as Brisa Leather Hardener, that may work.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I use "acrylic resolene" from Tandy Leather to stiffen up holsters
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Thanks guys!

I'd take it to a tack shop and let someone take a look at it or find a Tandy and ask them what they recommed.

Sponsored Links