Sight alignment is fuzzy. What to do?

This is a discussion on Sight alignment is fuzzy. What to do? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear contact lenses for distance vision and "readers" for anything up close. I guess my close vision is getting worse because my ability to ...

Thread: Sight alignment is fuzzy. What to do?

Sight alignment is fuzzy. What to do?

I wear contact lenses for distance vision and "readers" for anything up close. I guess my close vision is getting worse because my ability to clearly see my sight alignment is not as sharp as it once was. What can I do to improve my vision vis-a-vie sight alignment?

Because of my personal vanity and preferences, bifocal frames are not an option. How about bifocal contact lenses? Could posters with personal experience or with a backround as an Optrician please comment?

2. Remove Ads

The way I've seen this issue addressed is with what they call "monovision". You get one contact lens tuned for close-up and one for distance. Supposedly your brain is able to figure it out. My Mom has had this for years and has no complaints. But not sure how well it would work for shooting.

They do this with Lasik surgery, too.

Any eye doctor could advise you on this one.

Doc
    Last edited by DocPMD; February 10th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

VIP Member
    What is an optrician, and where can I find one?

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    The way I've seen this issue addressed is with what they call "monovision". You get one contact lens tuned for close-up and one for distance. Supposedly your brain is able to figure it out. My Mom has had this for years and has no complaints. But not sure how well it would work for shooting.

They do this with Lasik surgery, too.

Any optometrist could advise you on this one.

Doc

There ya go

Attached Images
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Oh yeah ... optometrist! That's the ticket!!

VIP Member
    Adjust your set. We all deal with it at some point in our lives. The best I can tell you is that I focus on the front sight, which I can see clearly. The back is blurry, and the target is blurry. It all seems to work out.

Administrator
    You could find somebody with a laser equipped firearm and try that before you actually invest in one.
    Then you don't need to focus on your handgun sights at all. You only need to focus on the threat.
    Only offered as one possible solution.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It is not possible to put rear sight , front sight and target all in focus simultaneously . Maintain sight alignment, Proper sight picture=Front sight crisp clear only , rear sight and target will be slightly fuzzy...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

When I do wear my contacts, I have one bifocal in the right eye, and the other is a plain contact. Haven't had any problems so far with handguns, although I have a laser on my daily carry that helps with quick shots.

When I shoot my scoped rifles I always take my glasses off if wearing those. I can't use a scope worth a crap with my glasses on.

Old age sucks but the alternative to not getting older ain't too purty neither
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

I solved that issue by using tri-focals. The same ones I use to sit at my computer. The sights (when aiming at the target) and my computer screen, are approximately at the same distance. Works for me.

I have monovision contacts. My shooting eye is my left so it is set for farther distance vision and the right is for closer work. I would need "readers" if print is quite small. You're right, the brain figures out and everything is clear for daily vision, driving...unless they try to correct for GREAT distance vision and GREAT close vision! Then you feel like one of those chameleons with one eye going one direction and the other in the cheap seats. The sights on a rifle are ok but pistols..a bit fuzzy but certainly functional. The laser is also a good thing.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I'm getting ready this year for trifocals, my front site is not in focus, eyes are getting worse every year, might try a laser like QKShooter mentioned.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I'd like to mention that I found two supplements very helpful in my eye health. Bilberry and Lutien. Bilberry was given to WWII British pilots to improve night vision so I thought I'd try it for a few months. I noticed an improvement overall after two months of daily use. Just thought I'd throw this in here...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Links