Skinny Tall Woman Looking For Shoulder Holster - Page 2

Skinny Tall Woman Looking For Shoulder Holster

This is a discussion on Skinny Tall Woman Looking For Shoulder Holster within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome to the forum tall and slender lady. The below holster is worth a look. Quality at a resonable price. I have several High Noon ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Skinny Tall Woman Looking For Shoulder Holster

Cool

Welcome to the forum tall and slender lady.

The below holster is worth a look. Quality at a resonable price.

I have several High Noon holsters and have never been disappointed with their work and customer service.

Under Armor

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Honestly I have never found a shoulder holster I like. You have to wear some type of jacket to conceal a shoulder holster at which point you could just wear a nice strong-side belt holster.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    What size XD9 did you get? If you're very slender, you may have an issue with the barrel poking out the back if you don't have the 3" model.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    Honestly I have never found a shoulder holster I like. You have to wear some type of jacket to conceal a shoulder holster at which point you could just wear a nice strong-side belt holster.
    Sturmruger,

I'm glad you found that wearing a belt holster meets your needs. But, since everyone's body is different, I don't think you can generalize your experience to anyone else's.

For example, because of some physical problems, I can't wear anything more than a very loose belt around my waist without having a lot of pain in my kidneys; forget wearing a good gunbelt and belt holster!

For me, the Kangaroo "Air Marshal" holster (kind of a combo of bellyband and shoulder holster) allowed me to continue with everyday carry without pain. While I understand that many people do not want to wear a shoulder holster because you need to wear some kind of concealment garment, as you mentioned, for me it's not a problem; I'm almost always wearing a cover shirt (not a jacket), similar to what most people wear with a belt holster, and it conceals the holster fine, even though my job requires "deep concealment".

There are some other factors to consider about wearing either the Kangaroo style holster or a more traditional shoulder holster, one of which is practice. While a few ranges do allow a draw from a belt holster, I haven't heard of any that allow the draw from any style of shoulder holster. This could seriously limit your practice options. I do a lot of timed dry-fire draw & fire exercises in my home to make up for this, but that may not be practical for everyone.

Consider the kangaroocarry holster. I carry a glock 21 all day with one, and no discomfort

Kangaroo Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    First, congratulations and welcome to the DC community. We are a supporting and tight knit group.

There are already several excellent shoulder holster makers recommended. Shoulder holsters conceal well, but, the weight on a slim person's shoulder can quickly become tiring for some. I would suggest wearing you current shoulder holster for several hours several times to see if weight is a problem for you or not before investing a lot of money in a premium quality holster.

An alternate suggestion some others in your shoes settled on, is a vertical cross draw worn at 9:00. My petite wife's is a custom vertical draw Ken Null Gibralter http://www.klholsters.com. Cross draw forward tilt holsters let the gun butt protrude on a slim person.

Another excellent holster maker is FIST FIST, Inc.. They have a wide selection of styles and options.

There is a mindboggling plethora of equipment choices facing a new CC'er. Avoid the exotic. Individual differences do matter; to the extent possible, try before you buy.

Best wishes in your quest.
    i have been wearing the blackhawk one actually to see how it feels weight wise with the xd and so far its not the weight, i work out a decent amount so i have some back/shoulder muscles, what bothers me the most is how the wide straps dig into my the front part of my arm pit area and how i have to have the back straps almost completely pulled in to get the gun to sit where i like it. i wear alot of zip up hoodies and blazers (blazers usually being shorter then the belt line) so when i carry owb its straight open carry which im fine with but i dont feel completely comfortable with oc all day, everywhere. i get a lot of unwanted looks :( so far in my extensive online research i found the Aker 101 Comfort-Flex Shoulder Holster or the Aker 107 FlatSider XR7 Shoulder Holster. But i want to try and find a store that i can try them on first and get a true feel for them. Im looking to keep the price aroundish 150, my boyfriend will be deploying soon so most my money has gone towards doing things with him and making a going-away-care package. after he leaves i will be able to save money for a nicer one

ps i love the idea of the back strap on the monarch

i agree, everyone is different. and not to throw the girl card but i do like to be a wee bit fashionable. if i wore baggy jeans a baggy tshirts n such then i could carry how ever i wanted. i do have those days once in a blue moon :) but most a like to wear more tight fitting jeans and shirts. i live in wa so its generally cold enough i get to throw on a jacket. i also find that putting the guns weight on my back and shoulders is more comfortable then on my hip when i wear the tighter jeans. my dad was big on posture when i was younger so i have a bit of muscle in my upper and middle back.

RE: Post 15

Upside Down Shoulder Holster

Thanks for the link. This holster looks like a re-creation of the Safaraland #19 carried in the early 70's. I found it more concealable than any other style. When "shell shuckers" became the rage I foolishly sold it along with that particular revolver. Now that I have come full circle I do believe I will get another.

To the OP - it is made for revolvers only.

Quote Originally Posted by darlingnikki View Post
    ps i love the idea of the back strap on the monarch
    Yup, if I was going to purchase a more "traditional" shoulder holster, that backstrap on the monarch would be the deciding factor for me, too. I can see how it would prevent the "swing forward" that you get with most shoulder holsters when you bend forward.

PS. Welcome from another WA state resident.

Administrator
    Actually the holstered firearm swinging forward is not as much of a problem as you might think if the gun/holster is located properly & where it should be which is up fairly high under the support side armpit. Like one inch below the pit with the muzzle canted slightly up and the gun butt slightly down.

That "halfway down" between the armpit and the belt location OR (worse yet ) way down near the belt waistline is fiction for TV & the movies and not for the real world.

Interesting how that "down near the belt" location first got started.
    The TV prop buyers would typically order Galco holsters and shoulder rigs which arrive with very long harness straps and with the holster attached down toward the end of the strap. Galco was the #1 aka most popular TV & Movie holster supplier. The straps were furnished VERY LONG to accomodate all body types AKA broad shouldered body builders as well as skinny little thin dudes.
    They didn't know that the owner was supposed to move that holster up as part of the personal adjustment process and then cut the extra harness strapping off...so the rigs were just put on and worn the way they were taken out of the package.
    Then it took off from there with all of these TV shows and movies copying one another. It's kinda funny actually.
    Kinda like a whole group of people coming to America from a 3rd world country and thinking that they are supposed to eat pizza with a knife and fork. One guy at the table does it and before ya know it the whole group has knives & forks in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    Yup, if I was going to purchase a more "traditional" shoulder holster, that backstrap on the monarch would be the deciding factor for me, too. I can see how it would prevent the "swing forward" that you get with most shoulder holsters when you bend forward.

PS. Welcome from another WA state resident.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

All that leather and straps to hide nothing but bulk . No one system works for everyone all of the time Look at the options this offers depending on the size weapon they offer a few versions, I use one often my Daughter likes hers. Surprising how well simple can work.
    Kangaroo Carry

Narrowing options

Being weight bearing on your shoulders is not a problem you should be able to find a shoulder system that works for you.

Concealment tips: Upside down will conceal best. Ken Null at K.L. Null Holsters Home Page makes the USH for semi's. It has narrow straps which you say may work better for you. It is within your budget, available in polymer or leather. After a short fling with several "plastic" holsters my preference is leather as I find it more comfortable. Take a look and if it interests you give Ken a call and talk to him. He is a really nice, helpful, no pressure guy and been around over 20 years.

Right side up styles sometimes let the butt protrude on slender folks. It depends on your personal body profile, how high you carry the gun, and the length of the butt. If it works out that the gun butt lays beside your "feminine profile" it will conceal well. (On me as a non barrel chested person they give me a one-sided "feminine profile" which I don't want.)

Horizontal carry may let the muzzle protrude the rear of your cover garment especially if it has darts to give it an hourglass drape.

Diagonal positioned shoulder holsters are a good concealment compromise and may work well for you.

Harness comfort is such a personal thing that it is hard to say for someone else. A harness with some flex where the strap cross the back on some styles is preferred by many. They are sometimes referred to as "X" or "H" harnesses. Check out Galco Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holstersto get an idea of that style. Some makers use elastic to accomplish this.

As you can see from the many suggestions offered by various posters you can have a ball if you like to "shop 'til you drop". Take your time, have fun, and don't let the plethoria blow your mind.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links