Does anybody else reload? - Page 3

Does anybody else reload?

This is a discussion on Does anybody else reload? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that cast your own bullets. Where do you get the lead? Do you recycle it from past shootings or what? Wheelweights ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anybody else reload?

Senior Moderator
    For those of you that cast your own bullets. Where do you get the lead? Do you recycle it from past shootings or what?
    Wheelweights from various tire shops
    The local range, just bring a rake and hit the backstops
    when that fails...I can get lead from the local nuclear plant that uses it for radiation protection.

Hey Rocky,
    Nickeled cases CAN be reloaded and Reminngton, Winchester and Star sell empty nickle cases. They just dont last as long as the brass because the nickle plating is brittle and it tends to crack alot soon than brass itself...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Been a while

Seems like it has been a while since everyone talked about reloading ammunition. I just bought a Skyy Industries CPX-1 and was interested in possibly reloading my own 9mm ammunition.

I would love to go to the range at least once a week and be able to shoot 200 rounds if I can. If I currently get 100 rounds of Winchester range ammo for 15 bucks plus tax, would reloading be worth it? If so, could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again!

I reloaded as a teenager for my rifle shooting on a RCBS Rock Chukar. Then took a break until last year and started reloading for my 45 on a Square Deal B. Probably between 200 and 400 rounds a month.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I started out reloading while working at Hercules, Inc. in Kenvil, NJ back in the late 80s.
    Oh Yeah!! I like anything that goes BANG. 'Good ol' 'Herklees Powdah'. Used many of their industrial products in my career and was sad to see them sold. One of the little known products they made were explosive fasteners that were used on the space shuttle to separate the fuel modules from the shuttle. Glad their reloading products are still available through Alliant.

Have been reloading since the early 60's. It is every bit as much of a pleasure as the shooting. Also a good challenge. You can craft a round that performs to your requirements.

Best wishes,
    Jim

Sponsor
    Started reloading a couple months ago, .32 acp (I know!) and .40 sw.
    I'm using a Lee classic turret (3 hole) with Lee carbide dies. I am having very good results with Their Auto Disc powder system, however it took me a few trials to find the powder for the small .32 loads. I wound up going with Win 231 and the Micro Disc. This gives me very consistent, if very small(2.4gr), charges. If any one knows of a powder with a fine granular texture that would allow for a heavier charge let me know. I am very happy with the quality and performance of the lee equipment and you can't beat the price.
    OK I'll shut up now!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction with reloading 9mm? I found a kit on Gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=68847691

Thanks again!

VIP Member
    Lee Precision Deluxe Anniversary is the one I have with certain variations. It is the inexpensive way to start and find out if you like to reload. Soon enough you'll hear the Dillon crowd extalling the virtues of their favorite babies, they are not cheap but are darn good.

Basically I'd reccomend you first to get the book The ABC's of Reloading.. If you think you can do it and enjoy it, then take the plunge and join the club. If not, you just spent a little money on a book.

PS: Just in case, repeat every night before going to sleep: "Midway is my friend....Midway is my friend....Midway is my friend....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Reloaded for a long time...rifle, pistol and shotgun. Though anymore it's mostly rifle. Still reload some .41 magnum and shotguns though. Don't get as much of the accuracy advantage out of pistol and shotgun, and since I shoot common cartridges mostly out of pistol and shotgun the financial savings aren't often worth the time.

Proud owner of a Dillon 650. Loaded many 1,000's of rounds over the past 6 years. Mostly .38's, as the wife and I are avid cowboy action shooters and shoot several matches each month. Can knock out around 500 rds an hour without breaking a sweat. I've got the set ups for other calibers as well,( .44, 45, .40, 9 mm ) but they get little use.

I have a Lee Pro-1000 that I do most of my handgun on, a Hornady progressive I still haven't really set up and a single stage RCBS I load my .308 on. I already have the dies for my .223 but just haven't had the time to get them out of the box.

Been handloading since the fall of 1973, best relaxation from a
    stressed out day that one can get~!

Cool Radio active lead slugs

I can get lead from the local nuclear plant that uses it for radiation protection. By Hot Guns

Are your lead bullets radio active? Do they glow in the dark? Just kidding. I do a lot of casting myself.

Senior Moderator
    No. The lead is mostly used for shielding. It dosent get radioactive.

I suppose they could be used as tracers if they did...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links