Good pistol case recommendation for salt water fishing/boating?

This is a discussion on Good pistol case recommendation for salt water fishing/boating? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have recommendations for a good pistol case when I'm fishing/boating in salt water? I have a various pistols/handguns and carry whenever feasible. However, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Good pistol case recommendation for salt water fishing/boating?

Does anyone have recommendations for a good pistol case when I'm fishing/boating in salt water?

I have a various pistols/handguns and carry whenever feasible. However, I'm very hesitant to take a pistol with me when boating/fishing in the ocean given the likely exposure to salt water spray. Given the remoteness of some of the fishing areas and the fact that I often have my wife or daughters with me, I'd be much more comfortable if I had the ability to effectively defend my family if the need arose. I also have a Mossberg 500 with Marinecote but I'd much prefer having a handgun with me vs the shotgun.
    Glock 26
    Sig Sauer P238
    Sig Pro 2022
    S&W Model 629

What about a 10mm glock

What ever you use clean it with windex or ammonia based cleansor first to stop any corrosion.

If you're on the water a lot, consider a Glock or XD with the steel parts coated with Roguard. Since you won't need the frame done, it should only cost you $200 plus shipping.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I may be reading this wrong but if you're asking what kind of case to put your handgun in while on the water to avoid the ill effects of salt water I'd recommend a Pelican 1200. Works great, water tight, floats, tough as nails, and cleans up easy.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I may be reading this wrong but if you're asking what kind of case to put your handgun in while on the water to avoid the ill effects of salt water I'd recommend a Pelican 1200. Works great, water tight, floats, tough as nails, and cleans up easy.
    Nope it appears I read it wrong lol

Get a food genie that will allow you to encase items in a vacuum sealed plastic bag... ta-da...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I use Pelicans to store microphones. One of the smaller ones would be great for a pistol. A Glock is in your avatar, so if you have one of those, that's what I would use.

Of course, you could go the route of nautical badassery and get a harpoon gun...
    Last edited by tubadude; February 19th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    357and40 likes this.

Only one gun case for marine environment... Pelican Case. Military tested and used hard cases for sensitive gear around the world.

Some other soft case alternatives.

aLoksak waterproof soft bags. These are US Navy approved and guaranteed watertight to 200 ft. for two weeks constant submersion in salt water. But they are not as durable as the nylon canvas drybags listed below. They are heavy duty, for sure, but totally different materials are used.

Watershed Drybags. The best drybags you'll ever own. Watertight below 300 ft. submersion. I have the Colorado Duffle and use it on all river trips. It is an incredibly large duffle at 31 inches long and holds a lot of gear. Good if you are bringing a long gun. Something smaller and more suited to handguns, cameras and other small stuff would be the Ocoee.

Watershed drybags are also used by the Military, they have a complete line of military bags as well. I did a lot of research on drybags before choosing watershed bags. As far as I'm concerned they are the best on the market and much better made than many of the other brands on the market.

I hope this helps with your quest of some of the best watertight storage bags and cases.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I would go with the pelican as well. Very good and they are, like mentioned before, tough as nails.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Pelican

Look at a Pelican 1170 or 1200. There are some companies that make custom foam to fit your choice of gun in a 1200 case.

Have heard good things about NANUK cases but never had one myself...

It's easy enough to get a waterproof bag. I kept either a revolver or a Glock in a waterproof pouch when kayaking.

On a boat, however, the firearm is just concealed on my person. In FL, one can open carry while fishing, but I choose to CC to avoid the salt air.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links