Camping Stove will Charge iPhone

This is a discussion on Camping Stove will Charge iPhone within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an inverter that I use to so things like this...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Camping Stove will Charge iPhone

I have an inverter that I use to so things like this

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The Campstove is neat, but the Home Stove is a paradigm shift unto itself. The 3rd world suffers from lack of light, lack of power, and lack of capital in many places. How awesome to power a villages cell-phones or other devices, so they can use mobile-banking apps on a micro-level, and have telephony capabilities for business and health care needs? That is huge!!!!!!!!!!

This link explains some of my thinking better than I: http://jonathandonner.com/donner_aut...gworld_TIS.pdf

Kiva also has a robust telephony focus in its Micro-Loan programs: Kiva - Loans that change lives

The HomeStove is very neat on several levels!
    Thank you so much for posting this w/your links. I'm reading the paper from the first link now and its very interesting - its a good read. Reminds me of all of the papers on telephony I had to read when I was in school. Oddly enough, I miss academic readings once in a while.

I like the idea you can fire up your stove,charge your phone,and then call for a pizza delivery
    DefConGun likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The Biolite website says you can use this to charge LED lights. I think this would be a real advantage in bad situations. If the phone systems are down where you can't use your mobile, it will still be important to have portable lighting. I'm guessing there are either chargers or adapters that can utilize the USB plug? If I'm not mistaken, there are already rechargeable 123 batteries, like the kind that go into tac lights. I believe in being prepared so I think this can still be a great alternative, even for people that already have back-up batteries ready to go. I'm just wondering how long it would take for this unit to fully charge a phone or a pair of 123s?

I might need one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Pretty cool. Now if I can rig that thing and hook it up to a bicycle peddle. ;-)
    I went to their web site and they have a peddle version on its way. I'm going to get one for $49.95 from the web site (the ones on ebay are $20 to $30 more for some reason). Human Powered Generators For Sale to Generate Your Own Electricity
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

That is very cool idea.

Another eco-friendly wood stove I found which is pretty cool is the G3 Rocket Stove. It looks great for camping or long term emergency cooking. I particularly like the second burner attachment so you can add a second pot and share the heat as it passes into the flue. It seems you can buy them in the UK but they are designed and made in the USA at Envirofit.

Here's the UK link Wild Stoves, but it doesn't seem they offer the extension unit for it. To purchase in the USA, I think you'd have to call Envirofit directly.

Viewing the Envirofit website, it also looks like they are developing a turbo model which uses forced air, so the fire burns hotter and more efficiently. It also seems it can be used indoors with the flue vented through the wall if you have a small hunting cabin or some remote outpost for a more permanent set-up.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links