And, THE Question IS............

This is a discussion on And, THE Question IS............ within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; daNG, i thought you were going to go with shackles on the wall and leather.... oh wait... wrong forum./.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: And, THE Question IS............

daNG, i thought you were going to go with shackles on the wall and leather.... oh wait... wrong forum./..
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

2. Remove Ads

Nice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Laminate this with drywall and call it a safe room!!!
    I seriously considered this because of the floor plan (which was very conducive to the idea), but when I ran out the cost estimates a good build out was very pricey and a lot of effort without the total security of a safe in regard to fire, water and break-in risks. If I get totally bored and need a project (Ahem......) maybe I'll add that.

were going to go with shackles on the wall and leather.... oh wait... wrong forum..........
    Ahhhhhhh, why, yes.........Coffee on computer screen..................

I will show the shelving build out. I intentionally placed it in the outside corner so I have concrete on three of the six sides, and so the rest is really just an exercise in marginal compulsiveness by a frustrated CPA. I tend to over-engineer everything I do since I do not have the technical training in mechanical engineering and statistics in my background. Realistically, I know that I am working with very small (low) likelihoods but I also realize this is an outlet for my crazy tax-warped persona.

Smile

So I began finishing my "Safe" project. I added additional Fire Rock on the side. I'll put Fire Rock on the top too. I will then sandwich some plywood in before I build out the shelves, continuing the anchoring. I used two sheets of 5/8" fire rock on each side, taped together, and then edge bound with the ever-present black duct tape. Here are the pictures at this point. Two 5/8" sheets give me significant more fire time than 1/2" or two 1/2's, even though it was harder to work with.

I am just trying to add a marginal bit of fire safety and security as I move forward. I'll probably tie in a motion detector as well as a smoke and heat detector too, just for jollies, and maybe a motion sensor too.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Post More Pictures of Progress

I doubled up the fire rock on top - now 4 5/8's sheets

The 1/2" plywood will now finish the sheathing, and then I'll finish the build out of the shelves for ammo and other gun-related paraphernalia. I intend to add locks on the cabinets when complete.

My son commented that I appear a wee bit compulsive, which is to be expected as a son of an engineer that is a CPA.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the pics and updates. I believe I will also add fire rock and I'm thinking about a hinged panel for the front as well. So cheap and easy to upgrade fire resistance doing this. Thanks again for sharing.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

I'm thinking about a hinged panel for the front as well
    That is a neat idea. Hide it in plain sight. Make the hinged panel look like an old paint cabinet or something of low value. I'll post more as I finish it out, so check back.

BTW - Welcome! Our daughter and granddaughter live in Mile High too.

Red face Shelves Now Built In

Well, I got to spend some time and anchor in the adjacent shelves (which I rebuilt for the most part, using screws rather than nails as per the original "builder"). This tightened up the shelves considerably, and I now have the 1/2" plywood sandwiched between the shelves and the fire rock. It is all much more stable and strong than originally. I also added a 1/2" sheet of plywood on top. The top piece of plywood will also be finished in black.

I am going to put a locking door on the shelves, which will be used for ammo and other supplies. Other than that, it's back to work. Taxes beckon...............
    Attached Images
    Olduser likes this.

VIP Member
    Very nice, sir.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Very nice. Doing a great job.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Red face Final Build-out

Here is the final (maybe) build-out with the door on the shelves, with a hasp and padlock. I also isolated the shelves from the open area with plywood, glued and screwed, on the dividers. You can also see I am using the space above for storage.

A light fixture improved visual access inside the safe.
    Attached Images
    Olduser likes this.

First great job looks incredible. Now how does a CPA have time to do any of this at tax time? Must be the boss since all my accountant friends said their good byes til May a few weeks ago. Since I'm poking a bit I will add something constructive. How about a sprinkler system to go with the sensor array?

How about a sprinkler system to go with the sensor array
    Oooooooo..............GREAT IDEA!

I'm also going to keep the floor damp and wire up some 220V to the handle........
    W9HDG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Oooooooo..............GREAT IDEA!

I'm also going to keep the floor damp and wire up some 220V to the handle........
    Why go with such a low voltage...440 or better after all you want that additional security to blow the intruder across the room
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links