Light just may save you.

This is a discussion on Light just may save you. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out last night walking with a friend, and his two dogs. From out around a fence came another dog, and preceded to attack ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light just may save you.

Light just may save you.

I was out last night walking with a friend, and his two dogs. From out around a fence came another dog, and preceded to attack our dogs. As the dog spun around to face me, I hit him with light from the Steamlight Scorpion I had in my hand. The dog just stopped in his tracks till the owner came, and got him.

Reading about the power of a high output flash light is some what lost in translation till you use it in real life. The ability to stop an attack with just a beam of light is amazing.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Aaaron - I have for some while been of the opinion that a powerful - or at least high intensity flashlight - is something that can well be made part of the average CCW guy's daily gear.

This is a good example to show how useful they can be.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have not been diligent in taking a light with me at night. After this I will not leave home with out it.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I carry a flashlight or three with me everyday. I think alot of people underestimate the power of the light. :D

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

fm2
    That's a good story of the handiness of a light.

P95 is spot on, it should be an EDC item. I usually carry a photon micro light also.

Senior Moderator
    I have one on me at all times, but my "lessons" were not so dramatic.

I'm glad it turned out that way, but I haven't seen bright lights have much of an impact on animals.

What's that? What happened to me? Well, since you asked...

I was in a Cracker Barrel and went to the restroom. Two kids were at the urinals so I went into a stall. I heard a giggle as they went out and about that time the lights went out and as the last glimmer of light faded as the door closed, I realized I couldn't see a thing. I was a little disoriented but I know that if you always make right turns in a maze, you're suppose to eventual find your way out. So here I am plodding through the men's room, hoping no one would come in and "catch" me. I finally saw the light under the door and made a frantic dash for the light switch before someone came in. From then on I decided to always have a light on me. And from there it quickly escalated to a handheld tactical light.

VIP Member
    My normal daily carry includes a Matt Del Fatti magazine pouch that also holds a SureFire G-2.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

glock21guy, that is just amazing !

I carry a Surefire 6P whenever possible, it's too handy NOT to carry. My next light will be the E2E if funds ever settle out - Chris even has me considering the LED conversion .
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    g21g, Did you have any other "weapons" with you beside a light ?? What is the output of that mod. SureFire ?? Do you feel that what happened in your above post would be the norm ??

I'm glad that everything worked out ok for you and that dogs OR humans wern't injured. --------

Any light, all the time!

Years gone by, when I worked for the American Red Cross in New York City doing Disaster Ops....I went into a burned out apartment in either The Bronx or Harlem(so many, can't recall) at 0200. The FD turned off all the electricity as SOP....I walked into the vacant, pitch black apartment and the bulb of my maglite dies before I get the lay of the land...so to speak.
    Had to change that bulb by brail and a bic lighter.
    After I always carried a backup Minimag.....on and off duty(nice kubotan/yarweh too!)
    Had several Surefire 6P's.....kept giving them away as gifts. One such gift has been all over the world with a former Marine buddy and now resides in Odessa, Ukraine with it's new owner. Believe I gave him his 6P in Havana(no street lamps).
    He related that several dogs were approaching him on the outshirts of St. Petersburg one night.....he hit them with 'the light' and they fled. He relayed another similar story with some drunk Russian guys one wintery night near Moscow.
    I recently upgraded to a NightOps Gladius...and I carry this awesome light all the time!! On duty and off.....my old 6P will soon be mounted to my Bulgie AK to make optimal use of 'old' (but still very effective) gear. I wanted to get a E2 Defender....but the Gladius was too good a deal to pass up.
    May it be more travelled than it's predecessor!!

Jercamp45

It is amazing how much a flashlight can help you in the dark. That is something most people don't think about everyday.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

I recently switched to wearing Levi's "carpenter" jeans. The leg pocket is perfect for carrying a Surefire or similar sized light and frees up some belt space for other goodies.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I recently switched to wearing Levi's "carpenter" jeans. The leg pocket is perfect for carrying a Surefire or similar sized light and frees up some belt space for other goodies.
    Jack
    I keep my Surefire A2 clipped there. Very convenient.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    I carry a flashlight or three with me everyday. I think alot of people underestimate the power of the light. :D

clipse

I was thinking that this thread might cause people to do just the opposite -- overestimate the power of the light.

A truly determined and vicious dog -- can you count on the glare of a flashlight to stop it?

I know that many of the people on this forum, if out walking a dog, are probably carrying a handgun. But what about a middle ground between a flashlight and a handgun? How about a walking stick?

I picked up an African Walking Stick from Cold Steel. Not only is it useful to take with you on walks to protect against various predators, it's also pretty cool to heft in your hands and look at. It feels neat.

If the dog hadn't stopped because of the flashlight shining in its eyes, it's good to have something stronger than that but that doesn't fire bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links