SHTF bag - Page 2

SHTF bag

This is a discussion on SHTF bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that works at a plant that seals 5 gallon buckets of paint. I am going to get him to seal some ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF bag

I have a friend that works at a plant that seals 5 gallon buckets of paint. I am going to get him to seal some with my SHTF stuff. Not all items but most of them. He can remove the air and replace it with nitrogen.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Mine is a military ALICE pack. In fact,I got mine "broke in" already.

Would reccommend that whatever you get for supplies,get stuffed into something that you can wear vs. carry in hand. Something bigger than what I have heard mentioned here. Remember,you don't have to fill it up.

Practice wearing in on "forced" hikes. Just around the block 10 times will let you know how to upgrade it for comfort.

Remember also,you gotta carry your own ammo. Try weighing 200rds of .308 vs. 200rds of .223. -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; December 15th, 2006 at 11:44 AM.

I agree that home is the best place, but one example of needing to roll out is if a "dirty bomb" or some form of chemical attack took place.

Thanks to everyone posting here for the great ideas and suggestions.

One more reason would be,

One of your friend or family had an emergence that made you have to rush over and stay for a day or two.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

What a great idea! This is my new peoject. I am going to do some research and come up with what my idea of an ideal SHTF bag is and then put it together.

Actually, I will put several together so I have one, the wife has one and the kids have their own versions.

This was a great thread. What a fantastic idea!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Bug out Bag? I'm working on a Bug out BIKE.

quoted from Surly Blog "One day I loaded it down with two 5-gallon kegs of beer, a soundsystem and another 40 pounds of stuff. All total the load was about 200 pounds in addition to myself, right around the intended weight limit....I ended up putting about 30 miles on it, both on and off road. Sure, my legs were cooked, but it was nice to know was the Dummy was capable of whatever I was capable of."
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I'm pretty new to this site and I've posted some stuff. I was excited to come across this thread because I've been thinking of putting a bag like this together. In addition to putting my own specialized keep together (according to my needs) I've done a google search and found a ton of companies outfitting civilians for a variety of different disasters we (Americans) should prepare ourselves for.

Life Secure Emergency Solutions
    -and-
    Atlantis Survival, are two companies I found that provide kits for offices schools, personal use, etc.

I know a lot of people on this site might prefer building their personal "SHTF" pack but I know some office execs and, teachers, and so forth who freeze under pressure or are just overwhelmed when it comes to preparing for the worse. (Not to mention the people who would just rather turn a deaf ear to the happenings around us in the world today).

-Be Prepared
    -Be Self-sufficient
    -Defend your loved ones and yourself
    -Stay Safe

I forgot to mention that in addition to my "Bugout / SHTF" bag I also keep a Tactical Crossdraw Vest nearby. It has enough room for extra mags, GPS, NVG's, etc.

Here's a pic of what it looks like. The back of it is MOLLE compatible so adding a hydration pack or a similar type pack could be easily done.

I like the idea of having a tactical vest that has the hydration pack in the back, as long as pistol mag pouches and large pouches for small emergency kit stuff etc. My concern is that they are so popluar with the airsoft folks that the build quality of most of the ones you find by searching ebay would not be up to carrying real gear that actualy has some weight to it.
    Any brands or manufacturers anyone recommends?

Are the mole packs/vests from cheaper then dirt any good(quality wise? They look good for adding things on the go and compartmentalizing things. Also is there a good folding multi-tool like the ones for bicycles (I have a crank brothers 18) or is it pretty muck down to leather-man and swiss army knives. There should be a thread for SHTF skill training like first aide, hunting, etc.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYF550 View Post
    I forgot to mention that in addition to my "Bugout / SHTF" bag I also keep a Tactical Crossdraw Vest nearby. It has enough room for extra mags, GPS, NVG's, etc.

Here's a pic of what it looks like. The back of it is MOLLE compatible so adding a hydration pack or a similar type pack could be easily done.

Is that the Condor cross draw vest?

Quote Originally Posted by orbrit View Post
    Any brands or manufacturers anyone recommends?
    Blackhawk makes similar gear in standard Blackhawk quality.

I myself have an Eagle CIRAS with hydration pouch, emergency blowout kit, GP pouch (can be used for survival accessories/MREs), enough space for 12 M4 magazines, and three pistol mags, along with a MOLLE holster.

It's capable of holding both soft and hard body armor, which I do not have (yet).

I do currently use it for airsoft, but that's solved with a quick switch of magazines and pistol.

A bit pricey, but can be had for around $475 from www.TriadTactical.com (pouches are extra - a good place is www.OpTactical.com).

Senior Moderator
    Thanks guys, I've got 3 weeks of food and water in the house with enough ammo to last "awhile" hadn't really thought about having to bug out. I've got a new project.

Orbrit;
    No, My tac vest is not the Condor Vest.

Bryan; The "Cheaper Than Dirt" stuff looks good as long as it's NEW and not the used stuff.

Any quality army surplus store or website can get you the actual military grade vests and packs. At the local Army Surplus where I got my vest the Border Patrol are buying them by the dozen beacuse they're relatively inexpensive compared to other places. I believe mine was between $65-75. I'd still like to get a Tac Thigh Holster, Butt Pack, Hydration pack and other misc items I might run across.

I've been thinking about it and if the "SHTF" I need to get to "The Ranch" ASAP, and be able to sustain myself and my loved ones for the long haul if need be. At least there's plenty of hunting available and great water sources. Now it's time to stock up the freezers and pantry.

I'm really glad I ran across this thread. I think it was the push I needed to get the wheels in motions as far as initializing and completing a contingency plan.

www.blackwatergear.com
    A lot of American defense contractors in the middle east as well as Executve Protection details use this gear. It's a bit expensive but the quality is there.
    Last edited by COWBOYF550; December 18th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I like the layered approach. Have what you need always, be able to drop what you don't need easily.

Have a small bag, like a large fanny pack. Keep things like a poncho, change of socks, MRE, quart of water, 50' of parachute chord and ammo.

Then a larger bag. Backpack is definitely preferred since you may have to carry it. That should have some clothes, snivel gear, first aid, sleeping bag, more water, food, 550 chord, ammo, and ponchos (ponchos are wonderful things) . Hatchet, crowbar, and/or E-tool also good things to have.

Even more stuff in the vehicle (alternatively, a base camp or such). I'm envisioning a box that I can load in the bed of my truck (perhaps suspended in the garage; back up, lower the box, unhook, drive away). About a tank of gas, some tools, more food water and such. Bicycles are a great idea, with solid rubber spare tubes.

Just remember the zombie uprise is inevitable.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links