Spare Magazines Help

Spare Magazines Help

This is a discussion on Spare Magazines Help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, here is my problem. I really like carrying two spare mags. I do this for two important reasons. Firstly, and most importantly it balances ...

Thread: Spare Magazines Help

Spare Magazines Help

Ok, here is my problem. I really like carrying two spare mags. I do this for two important reasons. Firstly, and most importantly it balances out my rig and makes me much more comfortable. It generally starts to hurt my back to only carry my gun since all the weight is on one side. Secondly, it is good for my peace of mind. I envision mostly using them to reload if I ever had to use my Glock 19, although I am sure if I ever actually needed them in a fight I would be extremely grateful for them.

Here is my issue. I have not found a comfortable way to carry them. I have a plastic OWB pouch for them that I wear for IDPA, that not only conceals like garbage, but gets very uncomfortable after a few hours. I also have a two mag holder from Remora that I simply don't trust since it moves around too much and is also very uncomfortable after long periods of wear.

I really like my Galco King Tuk that I carry the 19 in. That holster is extremely comfortable and I am looking for something comparable to carry my mags with. So, what do you guys use? What have you found to conceal well and also be comfortable?

I am thinking about trying one of these next: B627 Double Mag Pouch Glock 17 19 22 23 31 32 34 35 36 HK USP 9 Compact USP 357 Compact USP 40 Compact USP 45 Compact USP 9 USP 40 Leather Black

Even though I may expose this at times it should not be a big deal since it totally conceals the mags. It basically looks like a pouch people use to carry multitools.

I am very open to any and all suggestions.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

VIP Member
    I carry Glocks, with one extra mag in my front left pocket, and the other in the right.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I appreciate the recommendation, but I carry so much gear that the pockets are out. I should have stated that in the opening post. It will have to be on the belt. Between my keys, knife, phone, wallet, and OC spray my pockets are maxed out.

Administrator
    I would opt for a leather OWB but not a flapped mag pouch. Some of them are fairly expensive though.
    Take a look at offerings by:
    AKER Leather - Carry Comp II

Blackhawk Leather

Adams Leather Works

Gould & Goodrich

T T Gunleather

Danddgunleather.com

Kirkpatrick Leather

Those be just off the top of my head. I don't have time to fetch links for you right now.

VIP Member
    Galco and Bladetech offer OWB mag pouches that hold the mags tight to the belt and are comfortable to wear. They come in leather and kydex.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    This is the mag carrier I use, keeps two 1911 mags tucked in nice, close and comfortable.

Mag Carrier - Double
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Both Crossbreed and Comp-Tac have IWB mag holders. You might want to check them out.
    Question Everything!

Maybe you could try carrying a single mag in a holster. You say you want to carry two, so this isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, I understand.

Thing is, carrying one is pretty easy, conceals well and doesn't bother you much. Two, on the other hand, is bulking up your weak side adding so much weight, and we've already had the discussion here about your odds of even needing a single reload. At the sort of bad-breath distances you're likely to be dealing with in real life, just getting your gun out and into play is already a long-shot proposition.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    I appreciate the recommendation, but I carry so much gear that the pockets are out. I should have stated that in the opening post. It will have to be on the belt. Between my keys, knife, phone, wallet, and OC spray my pockets are maxed out.
    " You're humping too much stuff, troop." Sgt. Elias
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

DC
    I use a Bianchi. I don't carry two mags when I carry my XD9, I use the second pouch for a light. When I carry my revolver I use it to carry a light and knife. Concealment isn't the best but passable when my shirt covers it. Comfort is very good.

Model 7302 *AccuMold® Double Magazine Pouch Bianchi Leather Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Maybe you could try carrying a single mag in a holster. You say you want to carry two, so this isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, I understand.

Thing is, carrying one is pretty easy, conceals well and doesn't bother you much. Two, on the other hand, is bulking up your weak side adding so much weight, and we've already had the discussion here about your odds of even needing a single reload. At the sort of bad-breath distances you're likely to be dealing with in real life, just getting your gun out and into play is already a long-shot proposition.
    I like this idea. I may even get two single mag pouches, then if I feel the need to carry two I can use both or just one mag if I am going for maximum concealment and not worried about having the extra 15 rounds.

Check out Remora Extra Mag Holders I have a couple of their holsters and the are IWB and stay where ever you put them.

Links