Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it?

This is a discussion on Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can't really a good reason to wear it unless you have some kind of high risk job where the chances of getting shot are pretty ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it?

can't really a good reason to wear it unless you have some kind of high risk job where the chances of getting shot are pretty high ... too hot, too heavy ...

2. Remove Ads

Google Gecko45. He probably uses it. You might ask him about it.
    Rock and Glock and TheShadow like this.

I have a 3A vest and a rifle bag that is a 3A vest. During the Winter holidays when random crime is higher, I wear it. I also carry my pistol with me.

When I shoot at the indoor range, I'll wear one. I don't know what the level of training the person next to me has. I'm not about to take a chance of getting accidentally shot. I'll also wear it on my way to my private gun club. It's a winding mountain road and the added protection will save me during a motor vehicle accident.

I asked a city policeman and he said that was a good idea. He was hit in the chest by shrapnel a week before I met him.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I've always thought about getting a US Palm soft armor but I could only think of two real uses for it...at the shooting range and if SHTF.

Eh. Not sold on it yet.

I got to keep mine from work when they updated us to newer lighter model. I don't wear it off the clock as I don;t even like wearing it on the clock.

My first vest was a level II dating back to the Reagan administration. I actually bought it for riding. Back in the day it was pretty much leather or florescent colored moto cross armor. I got the vest used for a lot less than a good leather jacket would cost. I gave it to a friend a few years ago to play with and it still stopped 9mm and .45 acp from about ten feet.
    My current vest is a III-A but I only wear that for work. Now if we get another hurricane and things get ugly I might wear it a little more often.

For de funking the carrier and under armor I have had good results using Dreft.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    No, I don't wear body armor.... But I do wear Under Armour. It costs about the same but its a LOT lighter, and cooler.

:-)
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

If I knew there was a high risk of a gunfight I might throw some on,One downside that could look sketchy in a SD shooting is an overzealous Prosecutor is gonna be asking why were you wearing body armor,it almost sounds like you went looking for trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I wore some Level 3 stuff all day yesterday.

As soon as I got home, I litterally ripped it off of me. It was hot out, 85 degrees, and I kept the AC on full blast.

I thought I was about to die of heat stroke. Add a polyester uniform shirt to the top of a vest, add 45 degrees to the exisiting tempature and thats what you'll feel like wearing one all day. Not to mention that they tend to stink.

I wear one when I am acting like a patrol officer. The rest of the time....no way.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

No. As a civilian, no.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Although a vest and other 'equipment' are certainly important for protecting one's self, how would you look after a home invasion...that you survive...but you meet the police wearing a vest, shooting glasses and gloves, and shooting muffs with two-way communication to the wife who is also dressed in a similar fashion?

If I were in a line of work that dictated daily danger, it would certainly call for as much protection as possible. I would think, however, that the daily routines of the normal citizen would not require the protection of body armor. I'm just sayin'...
    He'd probably be looking at you saying "Thats better gear than the city gave me, where can I get some?"

I still have my body armor issued when I was on swat team. I only wear it at the range on occasion depending on the skill set of my shooting partners or at home during a "Bump In The Night" type event, I can throw it on in a couple seconds.
    QKShooter likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Mine is always in my trunk for work. Shellback Banshee PC, LTC lvl4 w/ IIIA soft armor backers

U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    This almost falls into the "Stupid People doing Stupid things in Stupid Places at Stupid Times" case to wear body armor. Me I don't and will always get off the X when shots are fired (I may be the first firing) as I am always carrying CCW, and have already seen and tracked what is around me when going out in public.
    You'll ALWAYS get off the X? How many shootings have you been involved in where you were able to get off the X? I ask out of true curiosity. I've had to before, once at 3am about 1 minute after waking up while drawing my handgun and trying to figure out what the heck was going on all at the same time. It's not something I can say with any certainty that I WILL do every time.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Google Gecko45. He probably uses it. You might ask him about it.
    He did. He also had plates sewn into some garment along with a plate in his briefcase to protect his back and his partner while she sets up the single shot 50 or 33 Lapua, don't remember which. Awesome.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links