Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it?

This is a discussion on Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used the search function, but couldn't find a discussion regarding this topic. I'm a motorcyclist (own four bikes, zero cars), and I always wear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it?

Body Armor -- Any civilians wear it?

I used the search function, but couldn't find a discussion regarding this topic.

I'm a motorcyclist (own four bikes, zero cars), and I always wear motorcycle body armor. A simple extension of that is to wear ballistic armor. I have III+ body armor (pretty much all pistols, but not rifles outside of a .22) but I don't often wear it. My armor is also stab-resistant over some more important areas.

Anywho, my question is this -- does anyone else have armor, and wear it when carrying? I can see many advantages, and not too many disadvantages.

2. Remove Ads

Well, if you're really concerned about getting shot/stabbed then I guess you could. I'm sure ballistic armor would help if you had to lay a bike down as well, but most of them don't have sleeves.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

If you live in a high risk area for shooting, or have a high risk job, I'd say sure. The problem with class IIIA armor is it's hot, heavy and fairly uncomfortable. Not for me.
    Outer_Heaven and Cattus Vir like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Wear it? No. Too hot and heavy.

But - I do have a level III ballistic insert in my laptop bag. You can turn any backpack, diaper bag, briefcase, etc into a ballistic shield.

BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    No, just no. Gets way to hot with a vest. Plus it restricts body movement and most vest print under lighter shirts.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I wore armor for 20+ years. I would have to knowingly be going into a threatening situation to wear it again. Everyday? Absolutely not!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I wore a level IIA while doing bail recovery and working as an armed guard, IIA alone was hot, sticky, smelly after a few days of the carrier being unwashed. I would never wear it outside of those two situations, unless I took on a job that had similar or higher risks of being shot. Unless maybe it was just that damn cold out.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the heat, weight, or printing -- remember that I'm wearing this under motorcycle armor, so I'm already used to those negative attributes.

Thanks for the input -- I'm glad to see no one thinks I'm nuts for not wearing it.

As it stands I only really wore it when going to the range (yeah, seeing bullet holes sideways through the dividers... not good) and whenever I went to a bar. Now that I'm a little older and a lot more cautious, I never go to either of these places. (Oh, and I don't drink in public, so when I went to bars it was for the cheap food or because I went with friends.)

I do at work on occasion, but not for my personal daily activities. Here in South Texas it gets very hot and I'd be more likely to die of heat stroke with a vest than a bullet without one, even a IIa.

I have a plate carrier also, but I don't even throw one on if I'm checking my house. My plates will take a stab, but I don't see too many vests that will that are still concealable and lightweight. Admittedly, I don't stay up to date on soft armor all that much, so I really don't know what all is out there. My guess is even the best ones available would be quite heavy and stiff compared to even a level IIIa.

The one nice thing about a vest though is that it will absorb some hits whether those are from a blunt object or fists. At least for me though, the trade offs just aren't worth it. I don't even like wearing a second shirt over a t shirt…
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Nope. My paranoia level hasn't gotten that high yet.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

This almost falls into the "Stupid People doing Stupid things in Stupid Places at Stupid Times" case to wear body armor. Me I don't and will always get off the X when shots are fired (I may be the first firing) as I am always carrying CCW, and have already seen and tracked what is around me when going out in public.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I have 2 sets of body armor. 1 level 3a and another flak type vest. I acquired both as I have never been too concerned about getting in a gun fight that I felt the need to buy a vest. If the S ever HTF and we were in TEOTWAWKI situation I would strap it on, but until then I dont feel the need to run around wearing a vest..... unless of course mission dictates.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Although a vest and other 'equipment' are certainly important for protecting one's self, how would you look after a home invasion...that you survive...but you meet the police wearing a vest, shooting glasses and gloves, and shooting muffs with two-way communication to the wife who is also dressed in a similar fashion?

If I were in a line of work that dictated daily danger, it would certainly call for as much protection as possible. I would think, however, that the daily routines of the normal citizen would not require the protection of body armor. I'm just sayin'...
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links