Automobile carry

This is a discussion on Automobile carry within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a holster that can be secured inside my truck within easy reach. I will be driving from Michigan to Florida next month (thru ...

Thread: Automobile carry

Automobile carry

Looking for a holster that can be secured inside my truck within easy reach. I will be driving from Michigan to Florida next month (thru all states with reciprocity, of course!!!) and being a bigger guy, it will get uncomfortable and hard to reach my weapon while driving such a long distance, also hard to draw from my right side with my seat belt on too. I need a secure holster at or around the steering wheel, steering column or next to the steering column under the dash....I've tested the areas and they are all well within easy reach. I can't find anything on the net, and may have to resort to designing one myself. Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything on the market that secures easily to one of those areas. I don't want to have to store it in the console. Just need to be able to grab it in a second or 2 if needed. I have a full size F150 super crew.

2. Remove Ads

I just received a Remora holster and found that it fits nicely in between the seat and console. The gun is right there if I need it, and there's sufficient retention on the holster so that it won't be pulled out with the gun. I know you were looking for ideas for a mount near the steering column, but thought I'd mention this as a possible option. I also have a product called "seat carry" that is a pouch with a flap that straps to the seat such that it rests between your legs, but I don't feel that it offers quick enough retrieval because of the flap. FWIW.

I've ordered and am still waiting on the Ohai Modular holster from crossbreed. You can mount it anywhere that you can fix the included Velcro tape to and I plan to mount mine in my vehicle as well. I jus got my shipping email three weeks after I ordered it so expect 3-4 weeks for delivery. Here's a link: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Oh...me,ProductName
    Gunga Galunga

Here ya go...

Universal Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount - Steering Wheel Column Application

I don't have one yet, but it looks like a good (and secure) system.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Any generic holster would work for this purpose.
    Keep in mind, that in FL the firearm cannot be seen when one is looking in the car.
    It could even sit on the seat or between the seat and console with a hat over it (with a permit, of course).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I find the Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster works well for vehicle carry. A quick disconnect kit is available from Blackhawk, which consists of a male and female unit. The male attaches to the holster and I've riveted the female to the knee panel below the steering wheel. This allows me quick access to the gun, is out of sight from outside the vehicle and holds gun securely in case of aggressive braking or accident. I also carry a backup gun on the inside of my non dominant side ankle. Very quick and easy access when seated in the vehicle.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    OP, I'm sure you've thought this through, but just in case you need a reminder, you will need to decide how/what you're going to do with your firearm when you get in and out of your truck for pit stops, eating, overnite stays, etc. And every time you unholster exposes the trigger and is an "opportunity" for things to go wrong.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

$7 Magnetic Gun Holster

in fla you will need to conceal the weapon from plain view even in your car.
    you should always check the laws of any state you plan to have a gun with you in.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Any generic holster would work for this purpose.
    Keep in mind, that in FL the firearm cannot be seen when one is looking in the car.
    It could even sit on the seat or between the seat and console with a hat over it (with a permit, of course).
    and to take it a step further, if you do not have a concealed carry license in FLA as long as you are over 18 you can have the gun in your car as long as it is secured and not easily accessed, putting into a console or a glove box solves that issue and some believe even putting it under your seat in a snapped holster would be legal. YMMV

Good shoulder holster and a vest is what I do on long trips. I can get to it easily in the seated postion and no worrys if making a pit stop. It's where it should be at all times,.......on me.

On another note, I have bought a couple of the Fobus holsters dirt cheap, buzzed the rivets out of the paddle and mounted the holster in some ingenious places, if I don't mind saying so myself.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Links