Pepper Spray for Dog Attack?

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray for Dog Attack? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 Have to tread carefully depending on where you live and the laws and feelings towards such, It is always going to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pepper Spray for Dog Attack?

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    Have to tread carefully depending on where you live and the laws and feelings towards such, It is always going to be someone's pet....
    Alot less repercussions if you hose a dog with a can of OC than if you hose it with your (insert caliber of choice here) pistol... In the owners eyes "Scruffy" wouldn't ever hurt a soul.... It's bad dog owners, more so than the breed, I've had worse encounters with small dogs than any large dogs.
    I would much rather spray a dog than have to deal with the aftermath of shooting it, that being said... I've had to do both before and been present many a time when the police put a dog down.....

My wife and I have a 2 year old 90# German Shepherd and a 6mo old Boviare / Rotwiller mix...I'd not be happy if someone shot either of them because they seem to be menacing....
    I hear you. But we could make a lot of the same arguments about the thug that threatens you with a baseball bat. Hosing him down with pepper spray is probably enough to stop him, and has fewer repercussions. He's someone's child, and in his parents eyes is probably a good kid.

And no, I would never shoot a dog for merely menacing. Given the gravity of using a firearm, that would be a last resort. I'd try to pick up something to fend the dog off, or jump on a car. Only if the dog actually got a hold of my arm or leg (I'd keep shooting arm back) would I shoot.
    Last edited by beararms; March 26th, 2012 at 11:22 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I'd go with a couple canisters from Fox Labs.

But too often those get forgotten or left in the car in our daily lifes, so a good keychain spray is my starting recommendation. SpitFire is good. Spitfire, LTD. Self-defense pepper spray device against attacks, crime, mugging Get the kit, then just replace the canister every year.

Administrator
    OC Spray is extremely effective on attacking dogs. Try DPS Spray. J&L Self Defense Products.
    http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/P...p-1-c-249.html

I've ordered from them multiple times in the past VIA phone. Fresh product. Honest company. Buy some Keychain units. I've sold dozens upon dozens of them locally. Lighning Fast shipping. DPS ~ Slightly more effective range than Fox Labs and it's extremely potent stuff.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thumbs up

Good info here! I've wondered what is good for dog attacks too!

Quote Originally Posted by beararms View Post
    I hear you. But we could make a lot of the same arguments about the thug that threatens you with a baseball bat. Hosing him down with pepper spray is probably enough to stop him, and has fewer repercussions. He's someone's child, and in his parents eyes is probably a good kid.

And no, I would never shoot a dog for merely menacing. Given the gravity of using a firearm, that would be a last resort. I'd try to pick up something to fend the dog off, or jump on a car. Only if the dog actually got a hold of my arm or leg (I'd keep shooting arm back) would I shoot.

Thanks for your input, but I was looking for info on using pepper spray as an alternative. You seemed to miss that point. Feel free to start your own thread about killing dogs.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Pepper spray can be effective against dogs, but it doesn't always work. I recommend that you use it if attacked, just know that it might not work. If the dog is a dominant, secure dog that is in "drive" they may very well come through the spray. If the dog is more insecure and fearful simply going into the "I am going to spray you" stance may be enough to make the dog stop.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Cattle Prod!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

first of all i personally think there is no such thing as a bad dog just bad owners. which in turn make dangerious dogs jut my 2 cents but with that said i have a 4oz fox labs peper spray with a wide fog pattern so its less likely to miss. i carry it every time i take my dog for a wallk just incase.
    also remember if you have nuicense dog with a bad owner and you do have to peper spray it, the owner will likely get some much deserved peper spray to when the dog gets home and greets them lol
    Paymeister likes this.

Fox Labs is what I carry too, specifically the stream formulation to have a better shot in windy conditions. I also carry a tennis racket and a large folding knife.

The tennis racket is for having something to give to an attacking dog to bite on, other than my arm or leg. I figure that I would be in a better position to accurately spray it if it's relatively stationary. Most of the time I see potentially problematic dogs when I go for walks around the neighborhood, past this one section 8 housing complex in particular. Since couple of days ago I modified my routine, to avoid that area, but still carry the mentioned items.

I carry the Fox Labs OC Spray (stream formula) everywhere, but I've never had to spray a dog in our neighborhood.
    Using spray certainly beats having to shoot a dog.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry it for dogs while jogging, hiking or biking. I have never used it but came close. The last time was a teen in skates with a dog some sort of mix that wanted to take a hunk out of me. She finally got it under control and was angry I was going to Spray her " friendly" dog and wanted to "sniff me"... No thanks!

Sent using 2 cans and string

Fox labs flip top.
    Plus a folding batton, if you can.

Administrator
    I like the DPS because it's basically identical to FOX Labs but, with 5 extra feet of reach.

Also - Keep in mind that attacking dogs close distance very quickly. You pretty much need to have it already in hand or very quickly accessable. If you need to "fish around" for it in a pocket or purse you're going to get a bite taken out of you before you can deploy it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cool

The below are all good options for 2 and 4 legged aggressors.

I always have a firearm, spray and a knife with me.

Out for walks the cane comes along and an ASP collapsable baton is sometimes in my back pocket.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

The firearm is an escalation of force option if the situation dictates.

Just as in any shooting you are responsible for all your rounds and where they impact.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Not trying to jack the thread but Ive been wondering about something regarding animal attacks. If I were to use my firearm on a dog in an urban environment could there be any serious legal issues? Im not talking about from the owner but police and/or a prosecutor. I would be defending my life from imminent danger of course but would discharging a firearm in lets say an urban environment over a dog be considered excessive?

Lets up the ante a little and say its already on me attacking.

I have no idea what the density of a dogs bones and organs are but Im sure over penetration at point blank range would be an issue.

Another example would be the woman in Chester, Connecticut being brutally mualled by a chimp. It was in an apartment in a commercialized urban area. I use that as an example as well because I worked right across the street from there and the chimp was allowed to roam free by the owners. Police shot it after the attack, on a public street but I am not an LEO.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links