Pepper Spray for Dog Attack?

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray for Dog Attack? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw a news report this morning about a pitbull that attacked a homeowner and her lab while walking her dog in the neighborhood. I immediately ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pepper Spray for Dog Attack?

Pepper Spray for Dog Attack?

Saw a news report this morning about a pitbull that attacked a homeowner and her lab while walking her dog in the neighborhood. I immediately questioned how long or how accurate I'd be with a dog fight if I had to deploy my CC weapon to stop this type of attack on myself or my pet.

I started researching bear and mugger type of sprays and found this youtube vid showing a pitbull changing his mind very quickly.

MIND YOU...I don't have anything against pitbulls. I had a recent pleasant encounter with a nice one recently. Vid kinda speaks for itself.

Aggressive Pitbull Dog Sprayed with UDAP Pepper Power Developed By A Grizzly Bear Attack Survivor - YouTube

Any advise on a small but effective pepper spray? I'm leaning towards Udap brand.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

2. Remove Ads

I usually carry the ASP defender spray when I'm out walking, but remember that even a light breeze will blow the stuff right back at you . I make a point to note the wind when I leave the house with this stuff on board.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Sabre Red has a ballistic spray (squirt gun stream) that shoots 8-10 feet. It's fairly wind resistant because of this & good for close quarters use.

Amazon.com: SABRE RED Compact Pepper Spray with Quick Release Key Ring: Sports & Outdoors
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I delivered propane for seven years in the ghettos of East St. Louis. You would not believe how many times I would have been attacked by vicious dogs after I got out of the propane truck and started pulling the fill hose, if it were not for carrying mace on my belt. Dogs must have extraordinary senses as I only had to deploy the spray once. Every other time I pulled the pepper spray out of the holster and the dogs stopped in their tracks.

I forgot the brand name but, I bought it from a police supply store. The more the pepper octane rating (forgot what's called) the better. Like said above, the wind can and will make more fluid come out of your face than you thought possible, believe me I know, but at least I wasn't a 5' 10" chew toy.

All and all, pepper spray is much better than shooting a round at a bad dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I delivered propane for seven years in the ghettos of East St. Louis.
    You sir are a trooper. I've lived in STL my whole life and I avoid the East Side at all costs.

I delivered propane for seven years in the ghettos of East St. Louis. You would not believe how many times I would have been attacked by vicious dogs after I got out of the propane truck and started pulling the fill hose, if it were not for carrying mace on my belt. Dogs must have extraordinary senses as I only had to deploy the spray once. Every other time I pulled the pepper spray out of the holster and the dogs stopped in their tracks.

I forgot the brand name but, I bought it from a police supply store. The more the pepper octane rating (forgot what's called) the better. Like said above, the wind can and will make more fluid come out of your face than you thought possible, believe me I know, but at least I wasn't a 5' 10" chew toy.

I delivered K-1 & #2 Fuel oil, A shot of k-1 will do the trick ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

+1 for Fox Labs. It is pretty much the gold standard.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I couldn't give you a name brand right off hand as I don't have the can handy. I just use whatever my pops gives me which is the same stuff his dept uses. He usually hooks me up with a full size can for the car and a small one for when I'm out running with my doberman. I have used it on aggressive dogs before and it works. I have yet to have one that wanted to try and see how I or my dog taste a second time. I believe I remember seeing C-10 or something on the can. That may be it's "heat" rating.

Fox Labs.... Best out there..... I've had to wash it out of many a suspects eyes...
    If you are going to be outside I would lean more towards the stream and not the cone spray.... Less blow back to you....

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    You sir are a trooper. I've lived in STL my whole life and I avoid the East Side at all costs.
    Where is Busch stadium? I saw some colorful characters on the train leaving the stadium there.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Another vote for Fox Labs here. That stuff is EFFECTIVE! A real can of whoop-ass, if there ever was one.
    Good supplement to your daily carry pistol.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Not necessarily. The next person the dog attacks could be a small child.

I'm not going to carry mace because some irresponsible dog owner might have his/her dog terrorizing the neighborhood. If the dog attacks me, I'm going to put it down.

Quote Originally Posted by beararms View Post

I'm not going to carry mace because some irresponsible dog owner might have his/her dog terrorizing the neighborhood. If the dog attacks me, I'm going to put it down.
    I don't have any tolerance for vicious dogs, either, and would prefer to see them destroyed at the earliest possible opportunity. That being said, if the dog already had a kid by the arm, blazing away with a pistol might endanger the kid. It's always good to have options.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by beararms View Post

Have to tread carefully depending on where you live and the laws and feelings towards such, It is always going to be someone's pet....
    Alot less repercussions if you hose a dog with a can of OC than if you hose it with your (insert caliber of choice here) pistol... In the owners eyes "Scruffy" wouldn't ever hurt a soul.... It's bad dog owners, more so than the breed, I've had worse encounters with small dogs than any large dogs.
    I would much rather spray a dog than have to deal with the aftermath of shooting it, that being said... I've had to do both before and been present many a time when the police put a dog down.....

My wife and I have a 2 year old 90# German Shepherd and a 6mo old Boviare / Rotwiller mix...I'd not be happy if someone shot either of them because they seem to be menacing....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links