Ear Protection - Page 2

Ear Protection

This is a discussion on Ear Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just use the "el cheapo" foam ear plugs. They work for me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ear Protection

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I just use the "el cheapo" foam ear plugs. They work for me.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by keydet90 View Post
    ... while at the range ... ear plugs or ear muffs?
    Better for protection of hearing: both, everytime. Better for being able to hear conversational-level human speech even through shots: an electronic set of muffs. For me, both used at the same time ( a set of Silencio electronic ears, and a set of Etymotics plugs) works best, for protection.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Because the VA is kind enough to provide my hearing aids after many years on the flightline, and I was downright religious about hearing protection even then, I try to salvage what I have left of my hearing. I always use plugs and muffs at the range.

By the time you realize you've lost a lot of hearing it's too late. The medicos are not kidding about that -- take hearing for granted and you are almost certain to lose it.

Bob

Electronic is way cool

I have a nice set of those electronic ear muffs that i got for Christmas. They are totally awesone. I can't recall the brand, muight be Dillon. I can tell you they are blue, and have a separate volume dooda for each side.

I really dont like plugs, especially the foam ones. While they give good protection, I sometimes have had a little problem getting them out again.

Of course, if you are not like me and are not dumb enough to push them in too far, that likely wont be a problem. What I DO do though is carry some new foam ones anyway in my range bag in case

a) I do the same as Chris and leave the things on.
    b) In case I have dragged anyone along to the range. (I make it my mission to convert as many people as possible!!)

Although I prefer plugs, I normally have both when indoors, no matter what I'm firing, but if I have to have one or the other, its plugs. I use Aearo Superfit Classics (NRR 33db). They're uncomfortable, but they work. The muffs dont stay on, but I have them in the event that the lane next to me get occupied by someone shooting one of the louder caliibers.

I dont like muffs. Theyre alright for pistol shooting, but for the most part they dont work to well with longarms (for me). I normally have a plug in my left ear (stock side) at least, sometimes both, depending on what I'm shooting and if I'm indoors or not.

I also have a problem with muffs sealing over the earpieces of my glasses.

My gf normally wears both. She's a realatively new shooter, and doubling up did wonders for her flinching.

VIP Member
    Custom molded earplugs. I can't stand muffs down here in the hot months (9 out of 12) so these babies are a MUST. Great sound isolation and not very expensive. Our guy charges $40 the pair.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Walker's Power Muff Quads
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I use plugs only and have several sets of different types. The muffs squeezing on the arms of my glasses started giving me migraines a few years back so I haven't worn them since. There's all sorts of plugs on the market and most are relatively inexpensive.
    Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links