Ear Protection

This is a discussion on Ear Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, new to CCW and to this particular forum. Like what I see so far. Just curious about a topic while at the range. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Protection

Ear Protection

Hi folks, new to CCW and to this particular forum. Like what I see so far. Just curious about a topic while at the range. Obviously it is essential to protect your hearing (eyes too!), but which is better, ear plugs or ear muffs? I have both and prefer the plugs, a little more comfortable. But I am not sure if they offer enough protection vs. the larger muffs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Best I have seen, are the electronic ear muffs, w/ dual stereo.gives you the best hearing as well as good hearing protection.
    Also , they would make good Home defense gear. turn em up and you have ultra hearing and protection in small enclosed rooms.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would love a pair of electronic ear muffs...but that notwithstanding, because I value my hearing, and sometimes there are guys with handcannons or large-bore rifles at my (indoor) range, I use both earplugs and earmuffs.

If I'm outside shooting skeet/trap, I just use earplugs.

Mike in VA

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I have a couple of pairs of Caldwell E-85's (I believe thats the model) that are stereo earmuffs....best range money I have ever spent. They were 30.00 a pair, but work great, and you dont have to keep taking them on/off if trying to instruct or listen, and they work automatically. Check them out here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=142725
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Moderator
    I use the Peltor Tactical muffs. They are great for instructing, they amplify normal conversations and automatically shut off for gunfire.

They amplify well enough that I use them for turkey hunting. The only problem with that is they amplify so well that a turkey gobble that sounds like it right in front of you could actually be a half mile away.

I use the ear plugs or muffs everyday at work. They are rated at 25 decipals of noise reduction. The ear muffs are rated at 27 so theres not just a whole lot of difference that you can tell. If you're going to be taking them on and off alot, the muffs are the way to go, the earplugs can get a bit tiresome. Also, the earplugs will push wax way down into your earcanal, so thats something you need to be aware of too.
    Last edited by HotGuns; August 31st, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I have a pair of Peltor Tactical 7's that I love. In fact, all the other shooters in my family have them, too. There's nothing like quietly whispering "psst...hey, stupid" while everybody's got their muffs on and seeing how many turn their heads.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    There's nothing like quietly whispering "psst...hey, stupid" while everybody's got their muffs on and seeing how many turn their heads.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Peltors do me just fine most of the time - but if shooting rifle under cover then often like to add ear plugs under those too.

Main thing I have to remember is to turn the darned things off after use - have wasted more than a few batteries!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Main thing I have to remember is to turn the darned things off after use - have wasted more than a few batteries!
    hmmm...that makes me feeel better!

I thought I was the only dumb enough to space turning them off...

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    ... and keep an extra set of batteries in your range bag.

Lead Moderator
    I've always used muffs. Back in my competition days I knew folks that used both at the same time. But at least muffs were the preferred way to go.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I shoot under a covered outdoor range and have always user both the foam plugs and ear muffs. I started out using ear muffs only, because that is what the Navy provided for us on the flight deck of a carrier. I can still hear after twenty years around jet engines and more than twice that around gun shots.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Huh? What'd ya say? Huh? What's a Deer Plug?

Just the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks you guys (and gals) for responding so quickly. Much appreciated.

I Paid a Little More...

for my electronic 'muffs', but they have turned out to be a very safe way to shoot with my wife. It is much better to be able to hear everything going on around you...IMO!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links