Flashlight Review: Mini Mag-Lite LED

This is a discussion on Flashlight Review: Mini Mag-Lite LED within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The nite Ize tail cap is to short for the new LED mini-mag (by design?). There seems to be no way to replace the LED ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashlight Review: Mini Mag-Lite LED

The nite Ize tail cap is to short for the new LED mini-mag (by design?). There seems to be no way to replace the LED either and even though the tail cap is large enough for another bulb there is none inside. Much of the length was used up in the tail cap (1/4" waisted). The only reason is to hurt third party mods. Oh well have to wait for nite Ize to make a longer tail cap.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

I have been seeing a smaller mini mag. I don't know how long they have been out cause I haven't been shopping for flashlights in awhile. I might try to pick one of those up too.

About the push button switch, I was at Lowes last night and saw a tail cap push button conversion for the mini mag. It was only $10 or around that. I'm going to get one for mine.
    Last edited by shaggykb; September 25th, 2006 at 10:10 AM.

I might have missed this but can the LED element be replaced if it goes out?

That's the main reason I like the Mini Mag conversions, I can buy exrta LED's for them.

I have done some searching and the mini mag LED is an adjustable beam 3 watt LED with 10,000 hours of run time so bulb replacement is not an issue. So hear is the response I got from maglite.

Bryan:

We are working on a new tail switch, should be out next year sometime. Yes, the LED should last over 10,000 hours.

Don

I will wait for the tail cap release next year. Nite Ize dose not seem to be working on one. Also i hope they come out with a pressure switch with cord. It being a LED it would make an excellent long arm mounted weapon light (no worry about bulb shock).
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exmasonite View Post
    i have always loved the mini mag lite but of late have seen the practicality of a light with a push button on/off and not the twist motion. i would love to see a 2AA mag lite w/ a push button on/off but i don't think that'll ever happen.

I, too, really prefer a light with a momentary-on pushbutton switch (what the candlepowerforumites refer to as "clickie") -- so I carried an Inova T-2 for some time. But for so long, I was eagerly awaiting Mag's entry into the LED world, and so when I happened across the MiniMagLED at walmart, I of course had to buy one, and I was VERY pleased with it right away. I have switched to carrying it, rather than the T2.

My T2's batteries are not fresh at the moment, but without checking new against new, I have to wonder if the MiniMagLED might be a tiny bit brighter than my beloved T2!

I took my new MMLED to Nantucket with me, figuring it might be even less likely to arouse TSA suspicion (not that I had ever heard of them hassling people over a T2), and I got used to it up there. I still prefer clickies, but the MMLED is, for now, my EDC. I may switch back and forth from time to time.

The quality of the white light from the MiniMagLED is very very good, in my view. It's not yellow, nor green, but a fairly nice white -- not even bluish! It's about the whitest light of any LED I think I've come across yet!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Well, since this thread had been revived already, I will post my $0.02.

I bought one of the 3 AA versions. I cannot say enough good about this little light. It is plenty bright for up close work, and can light up objects at a reasonable distance. The focus on it works well, but seems a bit limited, which is fine with me. I didn't expect to get a focus at all, considering the output pattern of most leds. All in all, a very good buy for $25.00. I use it daily, and have for over a month, without it so much as it beginning to dim. In my estimation, the run time is a bit better than advertised if you spread it out over time, and let the battery recover a bit in between.

I considered the 3AA version, but decided it would be just too long for me to want to EDC it. Anyone know if the third AA makes the light any brighter, or is it just to add battery life? (My suspicion is the latter, but what do I know? )

As far as the Nite Ize tailcap...
    A few months ago, I bought the Nite Ize drop-in for the 2AA MiniMagLite (one that I had owned since the mid 1980s!). Yeah, it turned it into an LED Maglite, kinda, but it wasn't very bright (although noticeably brighter than incandescents), and had crappy throw.

The TAILCAP was almost useless. My specimen was so unreliable!... It felt rattly and cheap, and as often as not, it would fail to function. I took it off almost right away and put the original tailcap back on.

Then I found that the local Walmart finally had the LED version! Yay!!

Very useful info. I just got a Nite Ize mod and tried it on one of my Mini-Mags Can't focus the beam much with that. The LED for the C-D cells is pathetic. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Senior Moderator
    I recently received a catalog that had tail switches specifically for the mini-mag lite, I'll have to get the name tonight and post it tomorrow - if I can remember something that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I recently received a catalog that had tail switches specifically for the mini-mag lite, I'll have to get the name tonight and post it tomorrow - if I can remember something that long.
    The swicthes for the regular mini mag are not going to work with the mini mag LED. MagLite changed the design of the tailcap.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    Very useful info. I just got a Nite Ize mod and tried it on one of my Mini-Mags Can't focus the beam much with that. The LED for the C-D cells is pathetic. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

What do you mean about the LED for the C-D cells being pathetic? I'd like to know specifically what you mean.

Are you talking about the LED drop-in that Mag now has available? Or aftermarket versions? (Some of them are pretty well-received...)

When I found the new MagLED 2D light at the store, I bought it immediately. It's not perfect, but it does put out a LOT brighter light than the original incandescent versions ever did. A LOT.

However, the spot is very very tight, and doesn't focus very much, and certainly the D MagLED that I got is really no good for floodlighting. But the throw of light, for an LED, is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    What do you mean about the LED for the C-D cells being pathetic? I'd like to know specifically what you mean.

Are you talking about the LED drop-in that Mag now has available? Or aftermarket versions? (Some of them are pretty well-received...)

When I found the new MagLED 2D light at the store, I bought it immediately. It's not perfect, but it does put out a LOT brighter light than the original incandescent versions ever did. A LOT.

However, the spot is very very tight, and doesn't focus very much, and certainly the D MagLED that I got is really no good for floodlighting. But the throw of light, for an LED, is pretty impressive.

Nite-Ize makes a PR based LED dropin for the MagLite C/D cell flashlights. It is a bulb made for long runtimes and is quite dimm. Completely different than the ones made by maglite.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I bought one last night to try out. It's no longer in my 4D flashlight. The LED is about half the brightness of the stock incandescent bulb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links