Concealed Carry Vests

Concealed Carry Vests

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Vests within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide if buying and wearing a tac vest is practical, or even desirable. I live in SW Missouri, and it gets really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Vests

Concealed Carry Vests

I'm trying to decide if buying and wearing a tac vest is practical, or even desirable. I live in SW Missouri, and it gets really hot and humid here. I have many draping polo and dress short-sleeved shirts, and have no problem concealing with many of them, but I've wondered about a vest for certain occasions.

Any suggestions, or advice pro VS con? I'm looking at 511s taclight vest.

VIP Member
    I own and use on occasion 5.11 tactical vests.

It is all in what you are comfortable with. The vests offer tons of space for everything and when worn simply over a t shirt they are quite comfortable in the hot southern summers. I am confident that you will here the phrase "Shoot me first vests" and so on. Most folks will never notice and those that do who really cares?

There was a similar thread about CCW clothing and some stated that these vests would make you a first target for the bad guys. As I stated then, If I am targeted first because I am wearing a tac vest then OC'ers are screwed from the start. Find what is comfortable for you.
    JDE101, RMS, Honk and 3 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Ill assume your talking about a plate carrier. They are good to have around just in case something very very bad happens, but not very practical, and can get heavy. I would say if its protection you want, just go for some good IIIA soft armor for day to day.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

A vest (I'm assuming not a bullet-proof vest) may carry a lot of stuff (photo, fishing, CCW), but it is not very 'draw friendly'.OMO
    I have one...never use it. In hot FL summers I just wear a print shirt...works very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If it's comfortable and serves the purpose then go for it. It may be a giveaway to some but who cares? I don't wear one just because I'm not a best guy. I go IWB if I'm worried about being spotted or OWB if I'm not concerned about it on a given day. I'm not a show off but I only go so far to hide it.

Not a vest* guy

If you got a vest would you wear it everyday? No matter how hot, humid, and uncomfortable it got. If your answer is no then I would'nt get one, those things are too expensive not to wear everyday.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    Tyler he is talking about a photographers type vest. Lots of pockets, goes below the waist that type.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I use my vest as a travel vest mostly. It is great because I put all the metal objects in the vest and it is what goes though the xray machine. Much easier than pulling things out of all my pockets.

It hangs low enough to conceal and it would be no more difficult to sweep aside and draw than my current "fat boy" shirts. "Fat boy" shirts is what I affectionately call my untucked draping slightly oversized shirts.

A "Shoot Me First Vest"........................? Find another cover garment ...IMO.

I wear a Columbia vest at work where the shirts I have to wear are pretty clingy. I usually just wear t-shirts or Miami vice shirts untucked. The Columbia vest was fairly expensive and has a few pockets but not as many as some fishing vests. I thought about a 5.11 vest but just not "gray" enough for me.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I've got a Woolrich vest in sage and a 5.11 vest in black. While I don't wear one all the time, I do wear one frequently when I have a bunch of stuff to carry or the weather is a bit cool. As far as them being an invitation for a BG to "shoot you first", I have never heard of a documented case where it has happened. And like others have said, anyone who open carries would really be screwed!!!!

They are handy for carrying stuff and for concealment of a handgun. Where I live, there are colleges, a military base, old hippies, and business executives around, so you see a wide variety of dress and no one pays much attention to how anyone else is dressed!

So just do what feels right for you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!! Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Whatever you choose, get something that doesn't scream "I'm carrying". Practice getting out of the vest: an assailant may grab your vest in an attempt to control you. And changing your appearance dramatically (what? new vest?) will also change your visibility.

In a few public places where others might wear a vest, I'll adapt. Otherwise I try to keep to my normal dress and concealment.

I have the 5.11 vest and wear it at times here in California. If you have to dress around the gun, you're probably going to find you need a variety of garments to make it work. The vest is just one of them, depending on the climate that day. I also use mine for range practice drills with my AR15 since the pockets on the vest hold AR magazines.

On only one occassion did I receive looks when I was wearing the vest and I am pretty sure the two guys were either off duty or undercover cops. As far as drawing from the vest, no you can't do it very well if it is zipped up, but otherwise it's as easy as any other concealment garment.

Now there's an idea..............a Breakaway Vest.........something like the leather pants strippers wear......whoa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links