Gun safe for car

Gun safe for car

This is a discussion on Gun safe for car within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for some advice on a gun safe for my car. I have a hatchback, so no trunk. I'd be carrying an M&P 9c ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun safe for car

Gun safe for car

I'm looking for some advice on a gun safe for my car. I have a hatchback, so no trunk. I'd be carrying an M&P 9c with an extra magazine. I don't have a lot of money to spend, and bolting a safe to the car isn't an option. Advice? Thanks!

Spirit, I have a COM safe for my car and my wife's car. Plastic coated steel cable secures it to the under side of the driver's seat. Combination lock means no additional key to carry. Works great and they have a variety of sizes, features and prices.

In Car Gun Lockers
    W9HDG likes this.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RmScadd View Post
    Spirit, I have a COM safe for my car and my wife's car. Plastic coated steel cable secures it to the under side of the driver's seat. Combination lock means no additional key to carry. Works great and they have a variety of sizes, features and prices.

In Car Gun Lockers
    I have this same one in my truck just a key lock version, and seems to work good. It's just that a locker not a safe. Although it is built well and it does add a sense of security, if someone has the right tools, it and your firearm will be gone. But you wont make it easy for them. As in any theft the crook wants to get in and out as fast as possible, so making it hard for them might just be the ticket? I lock mine up and the cable it long enough to take the whole case and slide it in the pouch located behind my seat, it conceals very well.

I have the same in my truck with the combo instead of key.

This looks good! In NC, the gun will have to be out of reach---that is, not under the front seat. I think under a back seat could be okay.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    This looks good! In NC, the gun will have to be out of reach---that is, not under the front seat. I think under a back seat could be okay.
    Really even if it's locked?

I need to pick up another one. I didnt think about passengers that carry also. Maybe a combo will be best.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    My vote goes to the GunVault MV500. I've had nothing but good luck with my two, one in the bedside table (going on two years) & one under my car seat (since June 2011).

I generally agree with some regarding mechanical-only locks, but they typically don't have a key back-up for that odd occasion you may not remember the combo. The car unit is still on the same set of batteries, & the only time it gave me any guff (LED blinking that batteries were low) was when we hit -22F on one or two mornings this last winter - I'm going to put lithiums in there for next winter.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I carry a M&P9c and use this car safe:

GunVault NV100

Works great!
    Pkupmn98 likes this.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

+1 on the nano vault, for about $22, works great

I have the "medium" COM safe tethered to my driver's seat bracket for when I'm at work. I have the keyed version, and I have no complaints. Very discreet even if someone were to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Really even if it's locked?

I need to pick up another one. I didnt think about passengers that carry also. Maybe a combo will be best.
    As I understand the law, yes. Nc is open carry; to transport a firearm, it must be visible, or, if concealed it must be out of one's immediate reach.

Would a medium COM safe fit the 9c? And does it also smell bad?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Academy - Stack-On Portable Security Case with Combination Lock Academy has this with a combo or key for 19.99 I bought one for my corrvette, it's also approved for air plane travel... My truck has a real safe for the times I can't carry
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I have three (3) COM safes in each of my three vehicles, all keyed the same.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I use a trick I read about here at DC...

Sorry I don't remember who mentioned or I would give credit.

Handcuff the pistol to the seat frame!

Not the most secure option available, but no bolting a safe in and it protects from the "smash and grab" thugs.
    sid1 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links