My thoughts on leather vs kydex - Page 3

My thoughts on leather vs kydex

This is a discussion on My thoughts on leather vs kydex within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like leather the longer you have it the better it gets. It molds it's self to the weapon over time. just don't mess with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My thoughts on leather vs kydex

I like leather the longer you have it the better it gets.
    It molds it's self to the weapon over time.
    just don't mess with it by putting creams and softeners on split leather holsters.
    hard leather a wipe now once a year or so seems to work.

kydex. mis/vangaurd/etc. in my case. functional. i will be getting a custom made black tooled leather holster for my d.e. .50 cal when i can afford it. i might even have to open carry once and a while to show it off.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Leather vs Kydex is like S&W vs Ruger or Glock etc........ Everyone make up their own mind. I have leather and kydex...but I've learned that the combination won't work for me. Beauty? I've never seen a beautiful firearm however I've seen beauty in them. Artistic perhaps, but this means nothing in the end game. Kind to the eyes is like a 12 year old girl aiming an AK47 at you. It's going to make you question your own soul before you think about pulling the trigger. To me......thoughts are dangerous and could very well cost you your life in seconds, much less the time you've spent over-thinking things in the meanwhile without action. Time is ticking away.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Leather or Kydex? Much of it is personal preference. I will say that a leather holster can be functional as well as beautiful. Let's also not forget how leather will mold itself to the wearer which Kydex will not do. I have also never seen a holster by (just to name a couple) Milt Sparks or Pure Kustom get soft and cause reholstering problems.
    Then I guess also for IWB the combination Kydex & leather can offer the best of two worlds.

The bottom line is that a cheap, lousy, holster will still be a lousy & cheap holster no matter if it's made from lleather or Kydex.

So....pick your poison and buy the best that you can afford.

And...don't forget to invest in a good gun belt while your wallet is cracked open. That's also VERY important.
    Kydex will mold to the user... so long as the user is heat tolerant.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Kind to the eyes is like a 12 year old girl aiming an AK47 at you.
    I'm not following you here... ???
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

I have carried everything in all sorts of leather holsters for years. I eventually cave and tried some hybrids. Just recently I got talked into buying a Bladetech all-kydex and I have say it's the most comfortable holster I have ever owned. Leather is beautiful, but I may be a kydex convert now.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

CJM
    Leather vs Kydex is similar to the steel vs. polymer, 9mm vs .40S&W vs .45acp discussions. Ask 100 different people, get 100 different answers. I've worn leather OWB pancakes, leather/kydex hybrid IWB setups, leather/kydex OWB setups, all kydex IWB, all leather IWB, and now all kydex OWB holsters. I've found that OWB kydex is my favorite, most comfortable form of carry. I agree that handcrafted leather holsters are beautiful, but my utilitarian SIG that I carry is just fine making its home in my homemade diy kydex rig. As far as leather being able to conform to your body shape and kydex won't, that's true but kydex is very easy to reshape and mold to fit each person, just a little time and patience with a heat gun is all you need.

As for me, it's a polymer frame 9mm in a kydex holster.

I carry my G22 in a CBST, and I carry my 1911 in a Silent Thunder. I have to admit that I find the Silent Thunder a great combination. Its' quite comfortable with adjustable cant and retention. That being said, the only thing that has stopped me from ordering a top quality leather rig is the wait time. I tend to be real impatient. I might have to order one, and just forget I did until it arrives. I'm not advocating one or the other (leather or kydex), but I have to be honest and admit that I like to try different things.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Leather for me, don't like the kydrex.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've got leather (IWB) for my Colt 1911 and kydex (OWB) for my Walther P99. Can't bring myself to put my Colt in kydex.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have and use both. But I really prefer leather. It's just so supple when it breaks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links