AWESOME bug out bag item - Page 2

AWESOME bug out bag item

This is a discussion on AWESOME bug out bag item within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sweet! I had been looking for these for a while, but they were not available previously unless you were lucky enough to reside in a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AWESOME bug out bag item

Sweet! I had been looking for these for a while, but they were not available previously unless you were lucky enough to reside in a third world country...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    No doubt this would be handy but I'd recommend something nearly as small with infinitely more capacity. It's called a Sawyer OnePoint Squeeze water filter. Check it out here:

Amazon.com: Sawyer PointOne Squeeze Water Filter System: Sports & Outdoors

Advantages is you can back flush it to clean it and run a million gallons through it. You can screw it to any standard pop bottle or hydration unit. so it's cheap (relatively) no filters to replace, fast and it's so small it'll fit in a bug out bag really well.

Now this will take care of all bacteria but not viruses. If you want to get rid of viruses, you need to use one of a very few select pump filters that can break or you can use this product:

PUR Purifier of Water - Water treatment in a packet

Nice thing about this is you can filter out all bacteria AND viruses. You have to be concerned about viruses if you're drinking from a water source that could be contaminated by humans or livestock; something that's a real possibility in a natural disaster type situation.

These powder packets aren't too expensive and have the advantage of being able to get particulate to "clump" and fall out so you can purify dirty muddy water and it'll cause the mud to coagulate and fall out leaving you with clear water. Search on youtube and you'll see a video. You can use this product with a clean hankerchief and two 1 gallon plastic zip lock bags. Takes almost 30 minutes to do it. You could filter up to 2.5 gallons per packet of powerder so you could use buckets.

Straws are nice but they're limited. These other two options work well for larger quantities. Also, check out the Sawyer filter products website, they make some great filters that could be set up in a real disaster sitation and be used to filter water for a whole home.

Gideon

Administrator
    Sorry for the delay in responding Rollo. That would be Quantity 6 per package.

Yes, they do work. I have "tested" this product first hand. Extremely cool technology.

There is also this version available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links