AWESOME bug out bag item

This is a discussion on AWESOME bug out bag item within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just started building my bug out bag and I ran across this item. Looks extremely useful LifeStraw Personal Water Filter | Eartheasy.com And a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWESOME bug out bag item

AWESOME bug out bag item

I've just started building my bug out bag and I ran across this item. Looks extremely useful

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter | Eartheasy.com

And a nice demo vid
    LifeStraw Demonstration - YouTube

I'm not a camper or outdoorsman so this is the first I've happened upon a item like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Yea I have several of these. I carry one in my pack whenever I'm hunting...just in case.
    It will filter @250 gallons for about 20 bucks.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clean water is so important, I always carry redundant water purification devices in all my kits. I also have the capability of purifying large quantities of water.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sizewise, this looks decent for a bugout bag. even smaller is a bottle of chlorine dioxide pills, downside there is relatively short shelflife.
    clean water is all-important in a survival situation.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc522 View Post
    Sizewise, this looks decent for a bugout bag. even smaller is a bottle of chlorine dioxide pills, downside there is relatively short shelflife.
    clean water is all-important in a survival situation.
    I think Chlorine Dioxde is something you def should have in your bag as well but this has several advantages.

1. Instant. Chlorine dioxide takes between 2-4 if I'm not mistaken
    2. Versatile - Chlorine Dioxide won't filter nasty chunks of gunk out
    3. No Collection - You can dip this thing straight in a water source. No need to collect it first.

Size is def a disadvatnage like you said though. It's not huge by any stretch but def bigger then a small bottle of chlorine dioxide. I personally see it as useful enough that it's worth it though.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Nice unit. Also consider the LifeSaver water filter LIFESAVER USA .
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I keep two purification straws in my ditch bag for the boat which also doubles as a bug out bag when the boat is on the trailer at home.

Has anyone tried them out???
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Lead Moderator
    I have tried mine once. Seemed to work ok . It now resides in my bug out bag as well. Mine is a frontier brand I think .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    99.9999%<~~~~ What's the scoop on that slippery little bugger that always gets away?

I have an Aquamira and a SureAqua in my B.O.B. - it seems pretty much idendical but, is more expensive ($49.00) and the total filtration capacity is less.
    I'll need to pick one or two of those up.

The SureAqua Straw: 0.2 Micron Filtration = 99.9999% Removal Rate of Pathogens

FEATURES: No After Taste: No chemical additives - No chlorine No iodine
    Chemical Free: Filtration is via microporous membrane, safe for all the family to use and use
    Instantaneous Use: No waiting time for drip or chemical interaction
    Easy to Use: Just place the tip in the water and sip
    Bacteria Free: Filters out bacteria to 0.2 micron
    Parasite Free: Removes parasites, cysts, oocysts, and spores
    Inexpensive : Extremely low per litre cost - beats bottled water 100 to 1 and similar filtering products 5 to 1
    High Volume: Filters up to 500 liters(132 gallons) and is completely re-usable
    Long Life: Up to 9 months of continuous use. The product can also be stored and used periodically over long periods of time.
    Durable for Travel: Physically strong and robust
    Pocket Portable: Easy to carry in your pocket, handbag or day pack, or leave in the car
    Zero Energy: No power or batteries required
    Importantly, SureAquaStraw is reuseable many times over and is extremely cost effective, filtering up to 500 liters (132 gallons) of water. That's 1,000 x500 ml bottles of bottled water!

Administrator
    Addition. Rollo - Great that you started building your B.O.B. ~~~>

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think Chlorine Dioxde is something you def should have in your bag as well but this has several advantages.
    1. Instant. Chlorine dioxide takes between 2-4 if I'm not mistaken
    2. Versatile - Chlorine Dioxide won't filter nasty chunks of gunk out
    3. No Collection - You can dip this thing straight in a water source. No need to collect it first.
    After using, reply to above:
    1. The Chlorine dioxide drops (two separate drop containers) take 15 minutes
    2. Most of the time I collect from a running stream so this isn't an issue, but if I had to, I would filter through a t-shirt or shemagh while collecting the water
    3. Though you can dip the Life Straw directly into the water source, it is a major PITA and there is a very high risk of cross contaminating the 'clean' end

Few more things to add about Life Straws:
    • The first time you use it, you get black muck from the charcoal. Not harmful (that I know of), just kinda gross
    • The first few times you use it, it's darn near impossible to get anything to flow through it... forget the advertised use of ever turning it into a gravity filter and practice normal use by sucking a grapefruit through a straw... lol
    • Some makers of them claim they come with various fittings so they connect directly to water bottles. I have tried various sizes (16oz, 32oz, 2 liter, etc) and types with no luck. Even if it does get a somewhat close to fitting, it will eventually cross contaminate since some water from the 'dirty' side gets out and makes its way to the 'clean' side

I used a life straw few times and it does work, but definitely not as easy as it sounds. I now carry Chlorine Dioxide and Life Straw in both my BOB and on camp/hunt trips

Administrator
    Just an addition in case some folks might be wondering. The Chlorine Dioxide does not make the water taste like Chlorine, bleach, or swimming pool water.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I also have the Hydro Pack in my B.O.B. -

Upside - Also filters out Viruses, Heavy Metals & Industrial Contaminants & replaces necessary electrolytes, sugars, etc.

Downside. Takes quite a while to completely fill up. Comparatively expensive.

But, it's the last ditch and only water filtration system that I would trust 100% for severely contaminated water sources.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You folks might also want to add the CamelBak ELIXIR (alert) with Caffeine...Sports Drink Tabs.
    You can find it on Ebay.
    Orange Alert
    New! CamelBak® Elixir Orange Alert provides a healthy alternative to sugary energy drinks. One sugar-free effervescent tablet of Elixir Orange Alert contains 75 mg of caffeine, about equal to one serving of Red Bull or one shot of espresso. CamelBak’s proprietary energy blend also includes taurine, guarana and B-vitamins. Use one tablet for every 24 oz. of water.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That might be one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I couldn't see exactly, Is it two filters per package?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I also have the Hydro Pack in my B.O.B. -

Upside - Also filters out Viruses, Heavy Metals & Industrial Contaminants & replaces necessary electrolytes, sugars, etc.

Downside. Takes quite a while to completely fill up. Comparatively expensive.

But, it's the last ditch and only water filtration system that I would trust 100% for severely contaminated water sources.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You folks might also want to add the CamelBak ELIXIR (alert) with Caffeine...Sports Drink Tabs.
    You can find it on Ebay.
    Orange Alert
    New! CamelBak® Elixir Orange Alert provides a healthy alternative to sugary energy drinks. One sugar-free effervescent tablet of Elixir Orange Alert contains 75 mg of caffeine, about equal to one serving of Red Bull or one shot of espresso. CamelBak’s proprietary energy blend also includes taurine, guarana and B-vitamins. Use one tablet for every 24 oz. of water.

Thanks for sharing the info. This was timely for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links