AM/FM Radio for "Get home bag"

This is a discussion on AM/FM Radio for "Get home bag" within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone recommend a very small AM/FM radio? I have a battery powered/hand crank one already in mind for my bugout bag bit I''d like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AM/FM Radio for "Get home bag"

Can anyone recommend a very small AM/FM radio? I have a battery powered/hand crank one already in mind for my bugout bag bit I''d like something super tiny for EDC/Get home bag. Any suggestions?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have this one in my BOB from County Comm. It's not AM but it's a 4 band short wave radio. FM, MW, SW1 & SW2.

Very tiny and lightweight with a LED flashlight on it. Also has a clock feature and an alarm. Runs on two AA bat.

I also got the external 16 ft. antenna on a reel which clips on the telescoping antenna of the radio for extended reception on the short wave bands. You can get the reel antenna here.

For strictly an AM/FM radio which is a little larger than the GP-4L, they also have this one.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Amazon is your friend. if you are willing to use earbuds you could use this one Amazon.com: Coby CX70BLK Mini Pocket AM/FM Radio, Black: Electronics I'd give up a little size and go for a multitasker.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I've actually been looking on both amazon and e-bay both. The issue is that it's really hard to see how big something is from some of the pictures they post. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Amazon is your friend. if you are willing to use earbuds you could use this one Amazon.com: Coby CX70BLK Mini Pocket AM/FM Radio, Black: Electronics I'd give up a little size and go for a multitasker.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Second to Barkn's post. I have 2 of the County Comm ones. One in the trunk bag and one in the bag at home.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The cheapo hand crank units are fine, never need a battery and last as long as your cranking... What would you do if you lost battery power? Besides, I think its a long shot before we ever need a BOB... But I still have one...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I PM'd Bark'n about this but figured I'd post it as more opinions are a good thing. Do you think that AM is a requirement for a survival radio?

The AM option will help if you are looking for local information as the signal will carry much farther than FM.

Get a crank radio that will charge your cell phone...via USB port..or universal charger...

Administrator
    I have a little AM/FM Flashlight combo that's solar powered. I don't remember the name of it but, it was not expensive. I bought it at my local hardware store on a whim a few years ago.
    Cook74 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I have a small crank AM/FM but got it long ago. I figure crank never needs batteries so I can forget about replacing batteries.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a Ka-007 by Kaito...It's AM, FM, World Receiver with TV, Weather, VHF (Public Service Band, Taxi and Business) radio. It's self-powered, solar, electric, or batteries. Size is 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 2 1/4..... Dynamo Solar Powered AM/FM/SW/TV/WX Radio - Kaito KA007

I have three of em! Home, and BOB's...JMO

Otherwise, this one looks like what you would want... World Receiver with MP3 Player and recorder, DSP Radio DE1123

Or maybe this one... http://www.kaitousa.com/KA200.htm

Here's the full page... http://www.kaitousa.com/radios.htm
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Be careful with the "Crank" power generator radios, flashlights etc. Many of these are chemically based and require a charge to maintain the chemical reaction, and they slowly drain over time. If you put these up and never crank to charge them, their capacity to hold a charge is diminished, to the point of making them worthless. It is advised to "charge" or crank them once a month to prevent this from happening.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Thanks for the tip! I'm ordering a crank one for my BoB.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Be careful with the "Crank" power generator radios, flashlights etc. Many of these are chemically based and require a charge to maintain the chemical reaction, and they slowly drain over time. If you put these up and never crank to charge them, their capacity to hold a charge is diminished, to the point of making them worthless. It is advised to "charge" or crank them once a month to prevent this from happening.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This one is pretty small which is a plus for the "get home bag" in my car:

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio (Black) : Shortwave & multiband radios | RadioShack.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links