Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner?

This is a discussion on Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks Ram, reviews looked OK, but figured that's what forum friends are for! Gene, I have used RR on my computer, have a few other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner?

Thanks Ram, reviews looked OK, but figured that's what forum friends are for!
    Gene, I have used RR on my computer, have a few other specialized sites for FDNY and Boston too. Thanks for the reminder.

2. Remove Ads

I too had to drink the iPhone koolaid. But have gotten to like it!

for wether info, I have 2 apps.
    1.) Weather Bug (there is a free version and an "elite" pay version. I upgraded to the elite.)
    and 2.) Weather Radio (works good in addition to Weather Bug.)

for Scanners i have 5-0 Radio Pro app. Kinda cool to listen to a LEO radio where ever in the world something is going on.
    It wasw a real kick to hear the Vancouver PD after the Canucks lost Stanley cup!!!

Weather bug is a good find IMO. I've just been going online for the NOAA updates and radar.

Lead Moderator
    I use 5-0 radio for my i phone. Works well enough , with only a slight delay.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well I just downloaded the free version 5-0 app and it doesn't work for me. All I get is a plain black screen. I got the latest version, which says requires OS4+ and I'm running OS6. How do you delete stuff from this apple contraption? I miss my Blackberry lol and it played my local scanner on the tune in radio app, which I downloaded the iphone version and suddenly my county isn't on it anymore???? Grr
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I've used the app in my old Blackberry and I have two different apps in the i-phone. I think that they all use the same internet feed. The local PDs aren't all available. Just two or three plus the county. If I got serious about listening to scanners, I'd buy a high end unit.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

VIP Member

Re: Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner?

I use Scanner Radio. Never had any problems with it. Pretty interesting to hear what goes on just about anywhere you feel like tuning into..
    Curzyk likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I use Scanner Radio Pro for Android. It really is an eye opener as to how busy the LEO are during the day.

FYI: Scanner Radio [Pro] (for Android and iOS) just uses RadioReference for its source, which is why there is a delay. Still good enough for casual listening.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My cell makes calls and would take a photo if I bothered to figure that part out. I don't need no stinkin' apps!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I do have a free scanner app on my Android that I use but, more often, I use my actual Radio Shack Pro-107 Scanner. I get to pick the channels then where I don't really when using the phone app.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I used to use 5-0 but it was very "buggy" I now use the Free version of Scanner + Big improvement, only a 15 second delay from my portable Unider

When you use these apps, do the apps use minutes from your phone or just use battery? To say I'm app/phone challenged is just being polite ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tutapper View Post
    When you use these apps, do the apps use minutes from your phone or just use battery? To say I'm app/phone challenged is just being polite ...
    These apps require a data plan by streaming audio just like Pandora or such. If you do not have unlimited data, then you will want to watch your data usage. It will also work just fine on a Wifi connection.

Edit: You could also use these apps on something like an iPod (using iOS) or iPad on just a Wifi connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links