Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner?

This is a discussion on Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't know where else to put this topic. I am interested in finding a good app for Android phone where I can access my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone use mobile apps for local police and emergency scanner?

I didn't know where else to put this topic. I am interested in finding a good app for Android phone where I can access my local police and emergency feeds in real time. Scanner if you will. I also listen to the national weather service feeds for my area, but I have to go to a website. Looking for options and opinions here. I'm also wanting something that won't put my data plan into the red zone. Not yet willing to pay for unlimited. Much appreciated.

This got me thinking. I beleive it is illegal in NY to have a scanner in your vehicle. WOuld an app on your iphone be illegal? It is not intercepting the airwaves but a data feed from a website. Of course in the commision of a crime it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This got me thinking. I beleive it is illegal in NY to have a scanner in your vehicle. WOuld an app on your iphone be illegal? It is not intercepting the airwaves but a data feed from a website. Of course in the commision of a crime it is illegal.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. As far as thinking is concerned..............this is one of my weekends off work, so I try and keep that sort of thing to a minimum where technicalities are concerned. Trip to the lake, BBQ, and fishing tomorrow sort of taking up all space dedicated to my thinking process now. Besides....I know all too well there are things I can think of that have no answers. Then again....there are things I think are better left not thinking about at all. Thinking is also one of those things the government wishes we wouldn't do. One of those things they would like to outlaw but they can't.

Some states only allow scanners in vehicles if you have an amateur radio license. Kinda the same as the concealed weapon license thing.

Works very well. I dropped $4.99 on it after the free trial. Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VycmFkaW8iXQ..
    Found this on to be very good as well
    Sent from this... Using that...

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I have one simply called Scanner Radio from the Android App site. It is free and works quite well. I have a scanner and use it for my local area, but it is interesting to hear different areas of the country. LAPD hot shots is interesting. They broadcast major incidents there.

I don't listen frequently though. After 25 years of being married to a radio, it gets old!
    Cory1022, blitzburgh and Curzyk like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I have one simply called Scanner Radio from the Android App site. It is free and works quite well. I have a scanner and use it for my local area, but it is interesting to hear different areas of the country. LAPD hot shots is interesting. They broadcast major incidents there.

I don't listen frequently though. After 25 years of being married to a radio, it gets old!
    I use the same one, it's pretty good but a few minutes slow I think
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Burns is right. There is about a minute delay from the original broadcast. Not a major deal for me, anyway.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have scanner radio for android. Works well but volume is a problem.
    Curzyk likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

New York State Sacnner Laws

New York law, they are an awesome local resource here. Not sure how widespread the legality thing is, and it's probably specific to PD. I used to firebuff, the cops in NYC never bothered us (pile of guys sitting in a rental van or retired cruiser in a McDonald's parking lot in the Bronx). I'd do a quick google of local motor vehicle laws covering scanning, my guess is your neck of the woods is a bit more relaxed than it is up here.

How'd you make out? I just drank the iPhone Kool-aide yesterday, looking at apps now. The Gordon Edwards 'Scanner Radio' was free, trying that first.

Police scanner and pay $4.99 for it. Excellent for local IMO. Free version get you somewhere in the US. Worth the small fee IMO.

You can also listen from any computer with this link

Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links