WD-40 for cleaning guns?

This is a discussion on WD-40 for cleaning guns? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WD-40 works well for removing the water from a distributor gotten wet while 4 wheeling but I will never use it around guns....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: WD-40 for cleaning guns?

VIP Member
    WD-40 works well for removing the water from a distributor gotten wet while 4 wheeling but I will never use it around guns.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

#9 + Weapon Shield or Militech-1

I use 40 around the house but never on my guns or vehicles YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
    Take these three items, some WD-40, a vice grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

#9 for bores, Gun scrubber for everything else, then FP-10 or Militec (both, really).. Remoil has been useless in my experience. But I do actually like WD for magazines. Springs still get the FP-10 treatment.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I always thought it stood for War Department as it was originally developed for the military, or so I've been told.

Nasty stuff for guns in my view.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    Just as a general FYI - The inventor/developer of FP-10 (firePower 10) later improved on FP-10 a bit and came up with WeaponShield...so when you run out of your FP-10 you may wish to pick up some WeaponShield and try that out. Basically the same stuff but, it tests somewhat better.

I use it for my Mosin and other guns with corrosive ammo. I use windex first, then spray it with wd-40, then hoppes.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    WD-40 is an aerosol, and the propellant that comes out with the water deterrant lubricant is sticky, and builds up over time. Not a good place to start with guns.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Break free CLP for years, love it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

It actually stands for Water Displacement-Recipe 40. I was told this is because it took 40 different tries to get it where they wanted it.
    Correct. And this product was developed for our nuclear arsenal, so as to keep our ICBM warheads rust-free in their silos. Some people do use this for gun lubrication and light cleaning - Bill, over at Box o' Truth recommends it. My preference is to use products designed for firearms, like Hoppe's and Royal Purple gun oil.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've used just about every type of lubricant/cleaner/etc. to maintain my guns, from Mobil-1 to 3-in-1 to Gunzilla, and the only product that failed to perform is WD-40. Used to wipe down my firearms with it, but one trip out in a light snowfall and my Win 1200 rusted up. It attracts dirt, gets gummy, and was designed as a water displacement spray (thus the WD). It might do okay as a solvent, but I'd clean it off and use a better product for protection.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use Gunzilla!
    BugDude likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    I'm another WeaponShield user for regular cleaning and lube. If I want to give things a good scrubbing I use MC25 or MiraChem and follow up with WS.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    I use a lot of WD-40 on the farm, I find it evaporates too quickly to do much long term good. However, if I have something frozen in place I wash it down with WD-40 to get it moving, and when it does, I oil it with something better. I also use it for cleaning small parts, and the straw is handy for washing out blind holes. It's cheap ! We use real grease and oil for serious lubrication.

I believe it's flammable too.

I don't use it for my guns, it just doesn't have any residual staying power. If I was in the field and had nothing else, and was having a gun issue, I'd probably use it out of desperation.

There is a lot of internet chatter that it can adversly affect primers. I actually heard that first in the 1970's, that rumor has been around a long time, I have no idea if it's true or not? Surely someone has done a conclusive test?
    bigmacque likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Gunzilla holds up very well, and doesn't attract dust. What's not to like.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

WD40 is fine as long as you submerge it afterward in 90W Gear Oil. WD40 is good for certain things. You could also use your wifes nail poilsh remover to clean your gun also. Then use her pam cooking spray to prevent rust. Actual gun products don't cost that much and last a long time. The only thing I think WD40 is good for guns is getting water out of the small parts of a badly submerged gun before you have a chance to clean it fully. Resist the urge to cheap out unless you shoot Hi-Points. Simple Green cleans guns well but you have to get all the water off with compressed air and then oil them down. Use Breakfree CLP. It will do everything Clean Lube and Protect. It really does a excellent job on rust prevention.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links