WD-40 for cleaning guns? - Page 3

WD-40 for cleaning guns?

This is a discussion on WD-40 for cleaning guns? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only two items in my tool box, WD-40 and duct tape. If it shouldn't move but does = duct tape If doesn't move but should ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: WD-40 for cleaning guns?

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Only two items in my tool box, WD-40 and duct tape.
    If it shouldn't move but does = duct tape
    If doesn't move but should = WD-40

But not on my guns...Hoppe's...Mobil 1 oil, little dab of white lithium grease on slides and rails.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Folks,

Thanks for the great advice on this one! You probably saved my bacon!!!

US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

There is a lot of internet chatter that it can adversly affect primers. I actually heard that first in the 1970's, that rumor has been around a long time, I have no idea if it's true or not? Surely someone has done a conclusive test?
    I submerged a bunch of ammo in WD40 for about 5 weeks. I used everything from rimfire to LRN, range FMJ, Blazer, and premium JHP. A few, but not all, of the rimfire .22lr failed, everything else fired fine.

I also submerged the same kinds of ammo in salt water, #9, and CLP. IIRC some of the Blazer cases got pitting and the #9 discolored some of the brass cases but the failure rates were about the same. I think only one centerfire round failed from any of the tests. It was a .40 FMJ.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I submerged a bunch of ammo in WD40 for about 5 weeks. I used everything from rimfire to LRN, range FMJ, Blazer, and premium JHP. A few, but not all, of the rimfire .22lr failed, everything else fired fine.

I also submerged the same kinds of ammo in salt water, #9, and CLP. IIRC some of the Blazer cases got pitting and the #9 discolored some of the brass cases but the failure rates were about the same. I think only one centerfire round failed from any of the tests. It was a .40 FMJ.
    Interesting, thanks for posting some input.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    If you like oil, Singer Sewing Machine oil is very high quality and inexpensive, if you don't mind the gals looking at you in the notion dept at wallyworld.

If you like a dab of grease on rails, high temp, high pressure engine assembly lithium grease with graphite from the auto parts store in a syringe works.

For cleaning, Gunzilla seems to drag a soaked patch through the bbl with more friction and does a better job than Hoppes #9.

Miltec 1 is a good coating.

WD-40 leaves a nasty residue that gums everything up and attracts grime. All traces of water deep in the works will disappear after a few hours in a slightly warm oven. You might want to do this when she's at the mall.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

It's not good for guns, especially for storage as it is a penetrating oil. The gun would eventually rust. CLP Breakfree is probably the cheapest. I like the Lube 1 that has the Slick 50 additive stuff...you can take you gun into the rain or wet environments (or sweaty hands like mine) and it doesn't rust. On the old .45's I've even used regular old solid car wax on the magazine to keep them from rusting. If you did acquire a rust spot, erase it with a pencil, flip it around and lead it really good and go over it with touch-up blue pencil and then oil well...blends right back in and prevents it. On the other hand, WD-40 supposedly has some nerve killing properties and old folks like to rub it on their knees/elbows because it kills the nerves for about 3 days and they don't hurt anymore. Personally I think it's the best red wasper killer next to Ortho and flat-out knocks them dead in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    would never recommend using WD-40 on any gun..over time,will gum up like glue..too many good lubes and cleaners to use over WD-40...
    I have used some at the range when I forgot my gun lube,but would never use it as a cleaner/lube and let it sit,over time could become sticky enough to keep your slide from running smooth causing a FTE/FTF situation
    goldshellback likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

DONT USE IT ON GUNS. It's a penetrating oil. Not worth the risk of having it get into your primers. Small risk, but why take it?

Just picked-up some Hoppes #9 today!

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Gunzilla holds up very well, and doesn't attract dust. What's not to like.
    +1... Love it!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Gunzilla holds up very well, and doesn't attract dust. What's not to like.
    Been reading the posts about Gunzilla here. Seems like a great product.

I witnessed the ill effects WD-40 has on guns first hand. A friend of mine used it on some guns that were handed down to him. He really isn't a shooter so that may have contributed since the guns sat for a while. He has a Winchester .22 semi-auto and a Colt Mustang .380 that he sprayed with WD-40, again, these guns sat for a while after he did this. The action on the .22 would stick in the rearward position when pulled and the slide on the .380 would literally return in slow motion when released. I asked him if he had ever shot them or done anything with them. He told me "all I did was spray them down with WD-40 when I got them." WD-40 and guns = GUMMED UP.
    "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." ~ Clint Eastwood

"I hope this changes."

OK everyone! WD40 should never, ever be uses on a firearm, especially one intended for SD! WD40 is a penetrating oil so it is designed to get into all those really tight places like rusted nuts and bolts and oh yeah... PRIMERS!!!!! I'm speaking from experience, WD40 will soak through a casing ans destroy the primer and it will happen at the worst possible time!. My uncle took a bullet in the leg a few years ago because of just that. I even heard of people destroying old ammo by spraying it down with WD40.

Don't believe me? Google "wd40 and guns" and see what comes up...
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    OK everyone! WD40 should never, ever be uses on a firearm, especially one intended for SD! WD40 is a penetrating oil so it is designed to get into all those really tight places like rusted nuts and bolts and oh yeah... PRIMERS!!!!! I'm speaking from experience, WD40 will soak through a casing ans destroy the primer and it will happen at the worst possible time!. My uncle took a bullet in the leg a few years ago because of just that. I even heard of people destroying old ammo by spraying it down with WD40.

It will indeed kill a primer if it gets to the mixture in it. As part of the testing I did I put a drop inside several primers. The WD, salt water, and #9 all killed a bare primer outside of the case. My testing, and something similar but less extreme one on the Box Of Truth pretty much proved that you can not deactivate old ammo by spraying it with WD40.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post

This was from the 70s, a deputy was in the habit of spraying down his duty revolver with WD-40 after a night of bad weather and re-holstering. He was found dead next to his cruiser, revolver next to him with 6 firing pin hits on 6 dead rounds. WD-40 NEVER comes close to any of my firearms!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links