WD-40 for cleaning guns? - Page 4

WD-40 for cleaning guns?

This is a discussion on WD-40 for cleaning guns? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well - cleaned my auto and the wife's revolver with Hoppes #9 and still had carbon! WD-40 didn't get it all... WOW! Also noticed that ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: WD-40 for cleaning guns?

Well - cleaned my auto and the wife's revolver with Hoppes #9 and still had carbon! WD-40 didn't get it all... WOW!

Also noticed that my auto was slicker and feeding better. Going to the range this Friday to see better results.

Thank you folks!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Thanks guys - you saved my life!!!!!!

After I cleaned the Taurus .45 with Hoppes #9 I took it to the range today. Fired 30 rounds of 230 gr. American Eagle through it 100% with no feeding problems. Ran like new! The WD-40 must have really gummed it up...

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Anyone here just use WD-40 to clean their weapons? That's all I've been using, except adding gun oil or gun grease as needed.

What say you?
    WD-40 is great for a lot of things, but not for moving parts in guns. It's all about viscosity. I checked MSDS sheets on both WD-40 and Hoppes Oil. WD-40 has a kinematic viscosity of only 2.79-2.96 centistokes (at 100 deg F oil temperature). By contrast, Hoppe's gun oil has a viscosity of 223 SUS (Saybolt Universal Seconds), also at 100 deg F, which translates to roughly 40 centistokes. Therefore, Hoppes has more than 10X the viscosity of WD-40, and would be vastly superior in lubricity to WD-40 at 100 deg F. And since viscosity is reduced at higher temperatures, I would strongly suspect that having WD-40 on your gun when it's hot from shooting would be about the same as not having anything at all.
    mano3 and gobbly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I use a lot of WD-40 on the farm, I find it evaporates too quickly to do much long term good. However, if I have something frozen in place I wash it down with WD-40 to get it moving, and when it does, I oil it with something better. I also use it for cleaning small parts, and the straw is handy for washing out blind holes. It's cheap ! We use real grease and oil for serious lubrication.

I believe it's flammable too.

I don't use it for my guns, it just doesn't have any residual staying power. If I was in the field and had nothing else, and was having a gun issue, I'd probably use it out of desperation.

There is a lot of internet chatter that it can adversly affect primers. I actually heard that first in the 1970's, that rumor has been around a long time, I have no idea if it's true or not? Surely someone has done a conclusive test?
    PPKheat makes a good point about flammability, which I had forgotten. But WD-40 is flammable. We even got it to work in a potato-gun one time, and it ignited rather well.

I used to use WD-40 when cleaning guns with my grandfather years and years ago. Then I went to clean some old guns from his safe, which hadn't been touched in years, and a lot of the internals had a yellow-ish, sticky goop all over them. Now I use Hoppes and RemOil products.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Anyone here just use WD-40 to clean their weapons? That's all I've been using, except adding gun oil or gun grease as needed.

What say you?
    I haven't read hardly any of the other posts here...... I'm just gonna post my answer then filter through the four pages of answers.........

WD-40 works just fine for cleaning firearms. Actual oil and grease are necessary and using JUST WD-40 isn't good at all, but for getting water and grit out of 'those' places that are hard to reach....... WD-40 is wonderful! Like a mini pressure wash for a quick fix in the field. When the time premits, Hopps, CLP, 3n1, Singer, Rem Oil, whatever..... Give your firearm a GOOD cleaning, that includes getting risidual WD-40 outta there.

WD-40 is NOT for lubrication or protecting the internals! It's great for 'washing out' the guck and crud after a particularly 'dirty' hunt, patrol, etc...... and that's ALL I use it for WRT firearms.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Fog_and_Mist View Post
    I used to use WD-40 when cleaning guns with my grandfather years and years ago. Then I went to clean some old guns from his safe, which hadn't been touched in years, and a lot of the internals had a yellow-ish, sticky goop all over them. Now I use Hoppes and RemOil products.
    That's what I found on my weapons. Everything's clean now!

I use hoppes and #9 screw wd40 things rust after time with wd it's not thick enough and was only developed as a water dispersant not a gun lubricant. My .02

Everyone I assumes knows that WD-40 is mostly Aviation Kerosene ( MSDS states 50% CAS ) ?
    http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf
    CAS - http://www.petrobras.com.br/minisite...n-Kerosene.pdf

It is pretty good as a degreaser, but there are better lubricants IMO as the mineral oil in it is nothing special.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

use it if you must, but get it COMPLETELY off any part that moves....will gunk and disappoint you at a bad time.

Iuse WD40 to remove water from a gun that has been rained on to remove moisture from internal actions etc.afterwards I use Gunzilla and a light synthetic grease on slide rails
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I thought this would be a prudent place to share:

WD-40 uses:
    1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
    4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
    5. Keeps flies off cows.
    6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
    7. Removes lipstick stains.
    8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
    9. Untangles jewelry chains.
    10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
    15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
    17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
    18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring.
    It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
    21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
    22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
    23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
    24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
    26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
    28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
    29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
    30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
    32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
    33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
    36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
    37. Florida ’s favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
    38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
    39. WD-40 attracts fish . Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.
    Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
    40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
    41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

I've always used Hoppes and Gunzilla, prefer to use them. My Dad has used WD-40 before, but I never liked using it.
    Last edited by Dustover; June 29th, 2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Grammatical fix

Cool

Years ago in the department I was with numerous officers would use WD-40 and CRC-556 to keep duty weapons from rusting in the Florida humidity.

A liberal spraying on the outside and inside seemed to work well.

The agency started a policy of firing the old duty ammunition at annual qualification and replacing it with fresh ammo.

After several failure to fires with good solid primer strikes it was determined that the penetrating qualities of the WD-40 and CRC-556 were getting into the primer pockets and contaminating the rounds.

Needless to say this practice was discontinued.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Years ago in the department I was with numerous officers would use WD-40 and CRC-556 to keep duty weapons from rusting in the Florida humidity.

A liberal spraying on the outside and inside seemed to work well.

The agency started a policy of firing the old duty ammunition at annual qualification and replacing it with fresh ammo.

After several failure to fires with good solid primer strikes it was determined that the penetrating qualities of the WD-40 and CRC-556 were getting into the primer pockets and contaminating the rounds.
    Needless to say this practice was discontinued.

OS
    I've never witnessed this but I have heard of it and for that reason I've never used WD40 on my firearms.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links