Otis Gun Cleaning Kits?!?

This is a discussion on Otis Gun Cleaning Kits?!? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever used the "Otis Gun Cleaning" kit for their guns...Rifles or pistols including ARs? Thanks....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Otis Gun Cleaning Kits?!?

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

Otis Gun Cleaning Kits?!?

Has anyone ever used the "Otis Gun Cleaning" kit for their guns...Rifles or pistols including ARs? Thanks.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; May 1st, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

I use the All Caliber Otis Deluxe Kit which I got on sale for an excellent price at Midway. I really like it.

However I use Gunzilla as my CLP. Gunzilla really rocks.
    tokerblue likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I use the otis kit for my guns. It works well.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I got the pistol cleaning kit. It's great and easy to use (take note of correctly inserting the patches in the slotted tip) except that I don't use the O85 solvent with the kit.

Otis cleaning kit

I was issued an Otis cleaning kit in the marine corps for M4. I'm a big fan of the flex rod, instead of a traditional steel rod.

These are now standard issue and are great for a field cleaning kit. They take up only a tiny bit of room in your gear bag and have everything you really need. If I'm not in the field though I prefer my big old box of cleaning stuff, complete with pipe cleaners, long wooden Q tips and patches of all sizes. If you really want a detailed clean, it's the little disposable items that can get in the nooks and crannies of your weapon that really help.

IMO the Bore Snake is truly the most useful "new" cleaning tool that I've fallen in love with. If youve never used one give it a shot, it will save you tons of time cleaning your barrel and has always given me spectacular results. It's basically a soft rope with a built in bore brush, string and sinker. With only a few passes through a nasty barrel it will have it shining like new, and is MUCH easier to use than the Otis cable, brush and patches. With a Bore Snake you really don't even need to run patches through your barrel, the soft fabric does that at the end of the "snake".

It's not an all in one cleaning kit like the Otis though, it will only clean your barrel. I just keep a .22 cal bore snake in my Otis kit and I'm set for the field.

The biggest advancement with the Otis and bore snake kits are they allow you to clean any weapons barrel from chamber to muzzle, which is critical if you want pin point accuracy out of your firearms. With the old metal rod cleaning kits you were forced to clean some weapons muzzle to chamber (example: M14, M1A, Mini 14, M1 carbine) because the receiver blocks you from pushing a solid rod through from the rear. Now with flexible cables or snakes you. An just feed them through with a sinker.

Remember, alway clean chamber to muzzle, not the other way around!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I use the All Caliber Otis Deluxe Kit which I got on sale for an excellent price at Midway. I really like it.

However I use Gunzilla as my CLP. Gunzilla really rocks.
    - Same exact setup here. GunZilla has become my favorite CLP for guns and knives.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have two complete Otis kits. While they are by no means do-it-all kits for me, they serve my purposes well. In the field, for emergency, and especially for my Ruger 10/22s since you can pull from breach to muzzle. Easily carried along in the range bag. You know cleaning a warm bore is best........you need to do this at the range shorty after firing. The Otis kit is worth the price, and good for the minimalist. Excellent tool, well designed, and a must have for any serious shooter IMO. Survivalist kit easily.

Links